Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• I hear the Colombians are going to leave England a little welcoming gift in their dressing room......some of their finest party gear hoping our lads will be off their heads come kick-off.....

BREAKING NEWS: Diego Maradona offers to provide pre match motivational team talk to England players
  • I hear the Colombians are going to leave England a little welcoming gift in their dressing room......some of their finest party gear hoping our lads will be off their heads come kick-off.....

I think Maradona has had it all.
  • Think we have looked very shaky at the back anytime a team has attacked us so far. Will need to be much better against Colombia as they will punish us
  • Will be interesting to see how Davidson Sanchez copes with Kane. He had an excellent first season at Spurs and kept Alderweirald out of the side.
  • Tense nervy game where England concede after taking the lead. England eventually win 2 - 1
  • Wonder if the 30,000 Colombians will be at the match, won't be easy for England fans to get tickets for this one.
  • Who has the Colombia game? BBC or ITV?
  • Sponsored links:

• Who has the Colombia game? BBC or ITV?

ITV
  • I assume the BBC would have the QF
  • I assume the BBC would have the QF

Yup; ITV then get the Semi Finals and both then have the Final
  • Are we going to play two DM's ? I hope we dont, i can see why we would do it against the better sides but would rather other teams worry more about us going forward. By playing 2 DM's it will take some of our attacking play out and dont think we will create as much (dont include yesterdays match as that didn't matter)
  • Are we going to play two DM's ? I hope we dont, i can see why we would do it against the better sides but would rather other teams worry more about us going forward. By playing 2 DM's it will take some of our attacking play out and dont think we will create as much (dont include yesterdays match as that didn't matter)

No, Southgate has been pretty consistent about that.
  • A team we have to beat if we’re serious about doing well in this tournament.

Really ? :smile:
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44651678

"James Rodriguez injury of 'extreme concern' to Colombia coach"
  • James Rodriguez plays then Colombia favourites because he pulled all the strings in the 3 nill win over Poland.
    JR out then England have the edge.

I can't see how the spirit hasn't suffered with that loss because at least 6 players know they won't now have any involvement unless a dodgy curry leaves its mark.

Question, if the result didn't matter then why then didn't Buckland or Pope get a game.

Pickford wishes they had !
  • James Rodriguez plays then Colombia favourites because he pulled all the strings in the 3 nill win over Poland.

I can't see how the spirit hasn't suffered with that loss because at least 6 players know they won't now have any involvement unless a dodgy curry leaves its mark.

Question, if the result didn't matter then why then didn't Buckland or Pope get a game.

Whats to say though they werent actually instructed by Southgate to lose the game or not put in 100% effort

Have watched the goal a few times and I swear Pickford lets it in (doesnt extend his left arm enough for my liking) - In which case if thats all true, how can spirits be low as the players will have followed Southgate's instructions
  • Sponsored links:

Whats to say though they werent actually instructed by Southgate to lose the game or not put in 100% effort

Have watched the goal a few times and I swear Pickford lets it in (doesnt extend his left arm enough for my liking) - In which case if thats all true, how can spirits be low as the players will have followed Southgate's instructions
    There’s absolutely no way he told the players to lose.
    No but he wouldnt have got them to win either else if he was so bothered about the result why did we (1) Only make two subs (One of those being enforced) and (2) Why didnt we put someone one who may have gotten us an equaliser or potential winner instead of Welbeck?
  • I doubt any player wants to lose. The difference Southgate made was the ability of the players in the starting 11

Like a weaker team in a cup competition, the players on the pitch still want to win. It’s just they’re not as good as the ones that usually play
  • If the game is on BBC we win

Have we ever won a match on ITV?

Wembley, 1966 v W Germany, although to be fair it was also on BBC.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44651678

"James Rodriguez injury of 'extreme concern' to Colombia coach"

You can find this in the OED as the definition of Mindgames.

• I doubt any manager actually says go out and lose.
    But by picking your reserve side to play a 1st team game speaks volumes.

If they’d been told to lose, one of the players would sell the story to the papers and Southgate would be out on his ear.
  • Does anyone seriously think England were set up to win that game in any way shape or form? I don't even think they were set up for a draw to be honest let alone a win.

I hope Rodriguez starts because he clearly isn't fit and would be getting into the team on his name alone and the hope he can come up with a moment of magic, a bit like Salah when Egypt played Russia and did nothing in that game except give it away a lot and score a token penalty at the end. I'd rather have to face 10 and a half players than 11.
  • Great when a nice bloke like Gareth can pull a real flanker and nobody believes he is capable of it. Poor old Roberto never played at any high level, Gareth done him good and proper. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.