Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options

If I was Pickford, I'd go the wrong way for the good penalty takers as long as they know I have studied them.

Then maybe if the penalty takers think that Pickford would go the other way because he thinks they would change their usual way, they would stick to their usual way... It's like Game Theory/Prisoner's dilemma, that kind of stuff, and there will be no end :joy:
    then you look at their body language, their kicking might be slower etc.. Just by making them take a moment to second guess themselves puts you at the advantage if you're the keeper
  • Options

...Harry Kane went low left rather than his high left usual finish...

Rarely puts it high at Spurs. Usually puts them in either corner, mainly to keeper's right every time.
    He rarely goes down the middle. The last time before the Columbia game was against Liverpool at Anfield and he hit it straight at Karius in the 89th minute!

• Options
    20,000 out of 49,000,000 is 0.04%
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Haha was just about to post the same petition. Proper weirdos... maybe if it's replayed they have a couple of players sent off this time.
  • Options
    Maradona forced to apologise for comments:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44729969
  • Options
    Trippier admitted that he had spent all his time practising that penalty. Does he change it to a different one, or keep the same one either because of double bluff, or because if it is placed enough the keeper is unlikely to save it anyway?
  • Options

Apparently 200,00 people have signed a petition demanding a replay https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/colombia-dirtiest-team-ive-ever-played-against-john-stones

What planet are these people on, I can just about cope with the fact that they used dark arts to try to win a game but to not even accept that they have been beaten leaves me speechless.

"The petition, which was started two days ago, argues England were awarded their second-half penalty for “a non-existent foul” and that Carlos Bacca’s extra-time effort should have been allowed to stand.

Bacca put the ball in the net after Geiger halted proceedings with Harry Maguire distracted by a second ball that would have come on the pitch had the assistant not stopped it. The petition calls for Fifa “to review these two actions, in order to set a precedent for fair play”."

1, VAR exists and a penalty decision is exactly what it exists for. If it looked like there was no foul (clearly was) then VAR wouldve told the referee.

2, so uhh we should review stopping play because there was 2 balls on the pitch at once in name of fair play?? How does that work? Plus the ball was put in the back of the net long after the referee's whistle, the ball was not in play when it crossed the line into the net, so not even a disallowed goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    They thought their best chance of beating us was to wind us up. They might have had a better chance trying to out play us. I don't think some players can play fair though. look at Ramos - he cost Spain a penalty in my opinion, by trying to pretend to be fouled and taking attention away from a clearer foul on Pique. But not just that, he could have gone for the ball and probably scored, but he is the sort of bloke who gets more satisfaction reflecting on how his cheating has won the match.

This has been a great World Cup for the football, but also the justice with shameless cheats like Ramos and Colombia back home. Love it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I dont get there issue with him being American.

Both Maradona and Falcao said he is an American referee ofcourse he will be bias to England.

Unless there is an americans hate Colombians thing and its not a bias towards England but a bias against Colombia issue
  • Options
    England havent won a penalty shootout since '96... No American Referee would be able to impact that in our favour

Colombia need to stop passing the blame game finger and take a good look at themselves!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    He had a good game - the big error was giving only a yellow for the head butt, but that was a VAR issue as it wasn't suggested he needed to look at it.
  • Options

He had a good game - the big error was giving only a yellow for the head butt, but that was a VAR issue as it wasn't suggested he needed to look at it.

Without wanting to get into another Var argument, he never saw the incident. It's clear in the replays that he never saw even a little of what happened. So Var must have suggested something.
  • Options
    Yes, it suggested it was worthy of a booking surely - which was clearly wrong and nothing to do with the ref.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    But VAR aren't allowed to suggest a yellow card. They can only suggest a review. So either the video assistant ref broke protocol, or the ref saw the incident and decided a booking was sufficient. Or most bizarrely of all, he was told to review but decided to give a yellow instead of reviewing.
  • Options

But VAR aren't allowed to suggest a yellow card. They can only suggest a review. So either the video assistant ref broke protocol, or the ref saw the incident and decided a booking was sufficient. Or most bizarrely of all, he was told to review but decided to give a yellow instead of reviewing.

is it also possible that his assistant referee at that end spotted something and advised a yellow card? I thought they are all able to communicate throughout the game also?
  • Options
    It's a bit ridiculous that 2 days later we still don't know what the refs reasoning for giving only a yellow was? Where is the transparency?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

It's a bit ridiculous that 2 days later we still don't know what the refs reasoning for giving only a yellow was? Where is the transparency?

I agree but that's been an issue for years and years.
  • Options

Absolutely no way did the ref see the incident.
  • Options

But that is my point - the ref missed it so couldn't take a view on the severity - VAR had to do have done it which is wrong!
  • Options
    Isn't that an assumption? @CafcTeckers has offered the most logical explanation yet that the assistant ref saw something and advised from his viewpoint at the side of the pitch.

I suppose it is possible that VAR suggested a yellow however:
    1. The video assistant referee would first need to break the protocol by suggesting something other than a review
    2. The on field referee would also be breaking protocol by following the VAR's incorrect advice and following the suggestion

If that was the case, the bloke in charge of VAR for the match shouldn't have another match at this World Cup. Neither should the ref on the pitch for blindly taking the advice. It's hard to justify that reasoning.
  • Options
    As @Manicmania says above, a bit of transparency would help deal with all of this.
  • Options

Apparently 200,00 people have signed a petition demanding a replay https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/05/colombia-dirtiest-team-ive-ever-played-against-john-stones

What planet are these people on, I can just about cope with the fact that they used dark arts to try to win a game but to not even accept that they have been beaten leaves me speechless.

A Columbian spokesman said " The Authorities have got it wrong yet again just like they did with poor Pablo Escobar.
    A simple church going, stand up citizen who smoked the odd bit of weed and carried a small hand gun around for his own protection."
  • Options

Which roughly translates as Diego still wants his 10k a time cocaine money that FIFA have been paying him for each match he goes to
  • Options

Which roughly translates as Diego still wants his 10k a time cocaine money that FIFA have been paying him for each match he goes to
    Why exactly is he there anyway? Is he just there is a famous former star, or does he have an actual role, as for example I've not seen any former England legends in the "posh" seats
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Why exactly is he there anyway? Is he just there is a famous former star, or does he have an actual role, as for example I've not seen any former England legends in the "posh" seats
    Wes Brown was there the other day

Edit: sorry you said Legend
  • Options

Jesus - what a night.

Am over here with the wife and kids and watched the game round my Aunt and Uncles house with my two boys, cousin and uncle.

When Colombia equalised and it went to penalties it looked like being the same old, same old so to win on penalties was something very special.

Even better was the faces of my two boys as we drove back through Greenwich and seeing all the England fans on the streets singing and dancing outside the pubs, they had never seen anything like it.

All I need to do now this morning is phone my Aunt and Uncle and ask them to apologise to their very religious neighbours for my screaming out “HAVE SOME OF THAT YOU FUCKING COKE SNIFFING COLOMBIA CUNTS!!!!” When Dier scored the penalty.

Not sure the wife was too happy either.

My kids told me off this morning for "shouting too loudly and swearing too much".
    My 13 year old daughter phoned me, as she does every night to say goodnight, just as the penalties were about to start. She was getting a bit nervous and excited as the pens went in and I heard her mum say "give me the phone now." Daughter's reply? "Fuck you mum. Fuck you!" I was trying not to laugh out loud while thinking "get in there girl!"
    not being funny Mark, but if i heard my 13/14 year old saying 'fuck you' to his mother, then i would be 1) shocked and 2) bloody annoyed- and would make sure i let him know i was annoyed too.