Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options

this will be a tough game and a real test of the 'new' England team and set up .. they have to be as canny as they are skilful and be able stand up to provocation without seeking revenge or giving in to it whilst at the same time keeping their collective concentration .. anything I've forgotten ? .. I hope that they are all up for it .. come on England

they did just what I hoped .. loved the way that Dier turned away after his 'kick of all kicks' with a little grin on his face and no histrionics .. he knew their keeper had not saved it by the slimmest of margins

we have weaknesses .. no decent passer/creator in midfield, an unwillingness to shoot. a propensity to dribble too far before indecision sets in (Sterling/Lingard), a tendency to get complacent at the back (Walker) .. BUT.. all in all this is a team that believes and for all its weaknesses and foibles, is a team that should beat Sweden (no turnips need apply) and I'd love to see them against the Croats who I think will beat Russia despite the noise and hatred that will flow towards them from the home crowd

other points .. reports suggest that many European fans did not go to Russia as they were concerned about the political and potential hooligan problems .. there has been a surfeit of South American fans .. impoverished nations??? .. I wonder if the Russian government and/or FIFA subsidised these fans as propaganda fodder or merely to fill half sold stadia .. anyone have any info on this ?

the behaviour of the players from most of the S American countries seems indictive of the volatile and potentially violent nature inherent in those countries .. a refusal to listen to authority, a refusal to admit to breaking the laws after cynical fouls etc etc .. I hope that Brazil and Uruguay if they are to win their games do so by fair(ish) means and not through intimidating match officials or the seeming lack of willingness on the part of VAR officials to point out glaring incidents of foul play
  • Options
    robroy said:

Watched the game in Portugal with the Work lads and was on the table next to the Charlton team.

What a nice bunch of lads they were, had a decent chat with Solly.

It was clear that there is a great team spirit there.

Dancing on the tables to three lions.

What a night.

Were they allowed a booze?
  • Options
    thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Howells said:

Maradonna still in scumbag mode - oh well you fat prick we’re still there and you’re not.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-maradona-goes-incredible-anti-12851672

Reckon's a qualified referee
    “will know a lot about baseball, but he has no idea about football" based on nationality.

Nasty piece of work.
    Pekerman came out with the same sort of crap. Accused English players of diving and cheating.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I seemed to be the only person who noticed Vardy was having problems with his groin at the final whistle (confirmed he had injection after the match on news) and assumed that was the case when Jamie who has the best penalty taking record in this squad decided not to take part.

Harry Kane is number 1 penalty taker but Vardy must be number 2 for England.
  • Options

I seemed to be the only person who noticed Vardy was having problems with his groin at the final whistle (confirmed he had injection after the match on news) and assumed that was the case when Jamie who has the best penalty taking record in this squad decided not to take part.

Harry Kane is number 1 penalty taker but Vardy must be number 2 for England.

My girlfriend thought he had a boner.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Howells said:

Maradonna still in scumbag mode - oh well you fat prick we’re still there and you’re not.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/diego-maradona-goes-incredible-anti-12851672

Reckon's a qualified referee
    “will know a lot about baseball, but he has no idea about football" based on nationality.

Nasty piece of work.
    Pekerman came out with the same sort of crap. Accused English players of diving and cheating.
    everyone should by now know that Maradona is a drug addled, pisshead, psychotic piece of excrement .. he is and always has been totally anti England/Britain .. he should never again be allowed into this country ..

as for Pekerman .. may your Pecker droop forever
  • Options

Watched BBC highlights and Murphy said same think as I did, (and others)
    Why didn't Vardy take 3rd or 5th penalty ?
    I'm sure he had an injury because he seemed to be holding his groin unless that is a nervous reaction !

No way would Henderson and Dier get ahead of Vardy. So the win through the penalities may be serendipitous BUT we are in the quarter finals and live to fight another day.

My understanding is that Southgate and his team planned for penalties by looking st the mentality of the taker, not just the technique. They wanted players who they felt thrive in pressure situations.

I expected to see Vardy take one, but to be fair Henderson has been a penalty taker for his club, and none of them were bad penalties, the one that was saved was more a great save than poor penalty - the much maligned Ospina went the right way for nearly all of them.

To call the win serendipitous is a bit unfair.
    Ospina was excellent on all the penalities bar the last one when he couldn't find a strong enough hand.
    Kane, Rashford, and Trippier's penalties were superb, and Henderson's was decent but a little high.
    Dier's pen went in despite the keeper going the right way, so bravo to calm Eric.

As I stated last week on the WC thread penalities have Never been a lottery but a skilful way to decide matches.
    I still feel Hoddle for all his Innovation didn't understand the shootouts by letting Batty and from memory Paul Ince take pens.

IF Southgate looked into the players eyes and decided or by the result of practice before hand or even by heartbeat in tests then great.
    But if Vardy said to GS at the final whistle that I have a groin strain and can't do my power pens then that would be serendipitous by switching to Dier.

*Serendipitous :smiley:
    occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
    (for the 2% who aren't sure of meaning)
    Only if he hadn't already identified Dier as first reserve, which I'm pretty sure he would have done.

• Options

They pointed out on the Totally Football podcast that it was noticeable that England's wobble came when Dier was in front of the back four and Henderson pushed forwards, and the subsequent settling of nerves and stronger finish largely coincided with Dier dropping into the back 3 and Henderson going back into the holding midfield role.

Henderson is turning into one of those players that, despite not always being a stand out individual, is a key cog that makes the rest of the team play better.
    Henderson has had a great tournament (and before). One of the most important players in our team imo.
  • Options
    Someone might have said this but...

Current players on yellow cards:
    Henderson
    Lingard
    RLC
    Walker.

Worth looking out for if we are progressing to the SF
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    They get wiped at the QF stage
  • Options
    Has anyone spoken to any Colombians they know? Would be interesting to hear their take on their teams behaviour and the ridiculous comments by Maradona and their manager since?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

After the QF stage isn't it? So a second booking vs Sweden could still see those players miss the Semi Final (assuming England progress).

They wipe the out after that so you can't miss the final for 2 bookings, only a red.
  • Options

IdleHans said:

After the QF stage isn't it? So a second booking vs Sweden could still see those players miss the Semi Final (assuming England progress).

They wipe the out after that so you can't miss the final for 2 bookings, only a red.
    Correct
  • Options

Amazing.

Captures the swings in emotions!

The celebrations for the winning penalty are pretty nuts!
    Enjoyed that - the drinks in the area thing is stupid though. That said the one solitary drink chucked when the Colombian goal went in made me laugh.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Love This! (obviously fast forward to the goals. Columbians giving it big time after they equalised)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9JLOPFshmxc
  • Options
    This one is great as well

https://youtu.be/HyUiLqYXCgA
  • Options

Maradona still in scumbag mode - oh well you fat prick we’re still there and you’re not.

The arsehole will have to buy a Brazil shirt now.