Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    I had a bizarre dream last night - I dreamt England won a penalty shoot out.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Jesus - what a night.

Am over here with the wife and kids and watched the game round my Aunt and Uncles house with my two boys, cousin and uncle.

When Colombia equalised and it went to penalties it looked like being the same old, same old so to win on penalties was something very special.

Even better was the faces of my two boys as we drove back through Greenwich and seeing all the England fans on the streets singing and dancing outside the pubs, they had never seen anything like it.

All I need to do now this morning is phone my Aunt and Uncle and ask them to apologise to their very religious neighbours for my screaming out “HAVE SOME OF THAT YOU FUCKING COKE SNIFFING COLOMBIA !!!!” When Dier scored the penalty.

Not sure the wife was too happy either.

Perhaps not the language for polite company - but having said that your phrase is the best I've seen to sum up a nation's thoughts!!

• Options
    edited July 2018
    COLUMBIAN @Ormiston Addick sentiments shared :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Anyone see Pickford and Dier interviews on Itv , I genuinely couldn’t properly understand Pickford in his broken northern English

Works both ways. I live in the north and they don't always understand my beautiful south-east London accent.
    Picking them up on how to say 'bus' and 'book' gets them going :wink: .
  • Options

Anyone see Pickford and Dier interviews on Itv , I genuinely couldn’t properly understand Pickford in his broken northern English

Funnily enough I was having a very hard time trying to place Dier’s very confused accent.
  • Options

Funnily enough I was having a very hard time trying to place Dier’s very confused accent.
    Probably because he grew up in Portugal.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    RedChaser said:

Works both ways. I live in the north and they don't always understand my beautiful south-east London accent.
    And 'bath' and trying to teach them how to use plurals or not saying 'us' when they mean 'I'.
  • Options

Weirdly to me he sounds quite similar to Andy Murray!
  • Options

Jesus - what a night.

Am over here with the wife and kids and watched the game round my Aunt and Uncles house with my two boys, cousin and uncle.

When Colombia equalised and it went to penalties it looked like being the same old, same old so to win on penalties was something very special.

Even better was the faces of my two boys as we drove back through Greenwich and seeing all the England fans on the streets singing and dancing outside the pubs, they had never seen anything like it.

All I need to do now this morning is phone my Aunt and Uncle and ask them to apologise to their very religious neighbours for my screaming out “HAVE SOME OF THAT YOU FUCKING COKE SNIFFING COLOMBIA CUNTS!!!!” When Dier scored the penalty.

Not sure the wife was too happy either.

That was a proper lol here. :smile:
  • Options
    edited July 2018

RedChaser said:

And 'bath' and trying to teach them how to use plurals or not saying 'us' when they mean 'I'.
    'The' also gets dropped in front of a noun as in 'I'm going to pub'.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

Watched BBC highlights and Murphy said same think as I did, (and others)
    Why didn't Vardy take 3rd or 5th penalty ?
    I'm sure he had an injury because he seemed to be holding his groin unless that is a nervous reaction !

No way would Henderson and Dier get ahead of Vardy. So the win through the penalities may be serendipitous BUT we are in the quarter finals and live to fight another day.

My understanding is that Southgate and his team planned for penalties by looking st the mentality of the taker, not just the technique. They wanted players who they felt thrive in pressure situations.

I expected to see Vardy take one, but to be fair Henderson has been a penalty taker for his club, and none of them were bad penalties, the one that was saved was more a great save than poor penalty - the much maligned Ospina went the right way for nearly all of them.

To call the win serendipitous is a bit unfair.
    Ospina was excellent on all the penalities bar the last one when he couldn't find a strong enough hand.
    Kane, Rashford, and Trippier's penalties were superb, and Henderson's was decent but a little high.
    Dier's pen went in despite the keeper going the right way, so bravo to calm Eric.

As I stated last week on the WC thread penalities have Never been a lottery but a skilful way to decide matches.
    I still feel Hoddle for all his Innovation didn't understand the shootouts by letting Batty and from memory Paul Ince take pens.

IF Southgate looked into the players eyes and decided or by the result of practice before hand or even by heartbeat in tests then great.
    But if Vardy said to GS at the final whistle that I have a groin strain and can't do my power pens then that would be serendipitous by switching to Dier.

*Serendipitous :smiley:
    occurring or discovered by chance in a happy or beneficial way.
    (for the 2% who aren't sure of meaning)
  • Options
    Drop Sterling. You can't have an attacking midfielder who has scored twice in 45 games. Sorry but that just isn't good enough. Marcus Rashford to play with the first team or Vardy who created more for himself and others in 32 minutes than Raheem did in 88.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Some observations last night...

Outrageously bad refereeing. Honestly, 3+ mins to clear the penalty area for Kane to take the pen. The reluctance to use VAR when Henderson went down. Lingard and Maguire saw what happened, they're all making tv signs, the ref has got an earpiece and surely the VAR team see that, why is nothing done. The ref has had to see something to give a yellow card so what does he see? Straight red. They're down to 10 men for the remaining 30 mins or ever how long was left. 3 mins of Columbian goal celebrations. Absolutely ridiculous, referee and assistants should be stopping that.

Maguire continues to impress. Thank god Southgate chose him over Cahill.

Trippier is getting better and better. Sam Allardyce is mental to think we should go 4-4-2 against Sweden and drop him.

Kane looked out on his legs last 15 mins of the 90, let alone extra time. He really doesn't get much help up there does he?

Oh one last thing. Davidson Sanchez. Blimey, that was some performance from him at the back for Columbia.

Can't remember if it was normal or extra time but at one point, Kane came so deep to collect the ball, i think there was only Stones, Maguire and Pickford further back.

Certainly can't fault Kane for that but i think Southgate has to tell him there's no need to be using up so much energy. It's not his job to come 60 yards into defence to collect the ball. And if he is having to do that then someone else in the team isn't doing their job properly.
    Think that was in the First Half
  • Options
    I know the players were scummy cheats but in such a crazy country you have to hope these threats are nothing but words

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/colombia-players-receive-death-threats-12850616