Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options
    All it takes to finally win a penalty shootout is a Portuguese lad.
  • Options
    And office biff out pretending to be interested in football. Saw some right sights. Lovely. Does this happen in shoreditch?

So glad I’m WFH tomorrow ; itnnk I need to y bed;

Come on England!
  • Options
    I didn’t realise it’s only midnight- I can create a shitload more chaos in the nxr couple of hours (unless I fall asleep)- oh man
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

All it takes to finally win a penalty shootout is a Portuguese lad.
    With Charlton connections.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed- I definitely need to have had 8 or nine pints before this- we don’t like the skando’s
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I'm not going to lie, I was ugly crying for a bit there.

Well, well, well.

For what it's worth, I thought England were fucking awful from the time they scored onward (with the exception of a little flurry toward the end of the second half of Extra Time). It was the same old England, could not keep the ball, could not play it through midfield, lumped it into the channels and hoped. They dropped deeper and deeper and despite largely defending well, unless you're a team like Iceland or Sweden really built to defend like that (and England aren't though they were better than I expected), you're going to give up chances.

So much going forward reminded me of Robinson's Charlton. The players were SO far apart from each other. There was no movement in midfield, with the exception of Lingard who deserves a lot of credit for never stopping running. They had the ball and they had no idea what to do with it or how to look after it.

Last thing before I say good stuff: credit to Peckerman, he got his tactics spot on. They absolutely overloaded the midfield and forced England to give it away time and again at the edge of the final third. This is a Colombia side that is better than a lot of people (myself included probably) gave them credit for. But they're not brilliant. And Peckerman gets so much out of those players-they are far more than the sum of their parts. They're exactly the type of team--some youth, a lot of experience, with an excellent coach who defend well and know what they're good at, that you don't want to face in the knockout stages.

And despite all that, England are through. It's been a long, long, long time since England ground out a win like that in a tournament. Obviously longer still (Spain '96?) since they did it on penalties. And whatever happens in the next round, or the following round(s) should it come to that, this team can already say they broke the England penalty curse. It's a young group. It's a group whose core will still be together in two and four years, potentially with the addition of some really exciting young players, so everything after this is playing with the house's money.

Sweden up next. Sweden look like a carbon copy of Iceland in 2016, but with a better defense and worse attack. They will do exactly what they did to Germany, Mexico, and Switzerland, let England have the ball, soak up pressure, and hit them with speed on the counter and at set pieces. They're yet another team that are limited but who work very well as a unit, and who on paper look exactly like the type of side who would be good in a one-off tie.

But hey, at this point, why not?

Sweden are a lot better than Iceland.

You can have that one for free.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Carter said:

Sweden have been a bastard for us for the last 18 years competitively I'm glad one of the first things Southgate did was to acknowledge how much we underestimate them. They have players doing their thing all over Europe at decent clubs.

Again I dont think its as bad as people say, mainly draws
    Flashscores goes back the last 12 Games

England-2
    Sweden-4
    Draws-6

Last competetive match was Euro 2012 when we won 3-2

Swedens 4 wins were
    2 friendlies
    1 Euro Qualifier
    Euro 1992

• Options
    Urghh euro 92,,,...
  • Options
    Watched BBC highlights and Murphy said same think as I did, (and others)
    Why didn't Vardy take 3rd or 5th penalty ?
    I'm sure he had an injury because he seemed to be holding his groin unless that is a nervous reaction !

No way would Henderson and Dier get ahead of Vardy. So the win through the penalities may be serendipitous BUT we are in the quarter finals and live to fight another day.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Varney has used his lifetime of luck up with winning a Premiership medal at Leicester (no I still don’t believe it )

Just like when we beat Sunderland on penalties we used our lifetime of luck up !
  • Options
    What did i miss?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t know if it’s been said anywhere , not read all the thread but why were there sooooo many columbians at the game .
    Felt like they well outnumbered us .
    Countries of similar population size and we had 1500 miles to their 2000 miles to travel and I’m sure we are a better off country than them .
    It does feel as though all Russians at the games are supporting our opponents, so maybe that made up some of the numbers .
    Don’t tell me England gone all Charlton away numbers on us !
  • Options
    I’m oretty sure the official allocation (for us at least) were pitiful.

This means they must have bought up loads through the fifa general sale, but they would have had no idea they would feature in that game until very recently, which would then suggest they must have been buying them up through touts at extortionate prices.

Don’t get me wrong, our support has been historically low, but it just doesn’t make sense to me with the South Americans.

• Options

Don’t know if it’s been said anywhere , not read all the thread but why were there sooooo many columbians at the game .
    Countries of similar population size and we had 1500 miles to their 2000 miles to travel and I’m sure we are a better off country than them .
    It does feel as though all Russians at the games are supporting our opponents, so maybe that made up some of the numbers .

According to Stanley Victor Collywobble it’s because the government and media scare Mongered the English fans

• Options
    SDAddick said:

I'm not going to lie, I was ugly crying for a bit there.

Well, well, well.

For what it's worth, I thought England were fucking awful from the time they scored onward (with the exception of a little flurry toward the end of the second half of Extra Time). It was the same old England, could not keep the ball, could not play it through midfield, lumped it into the channels and hoped. They dropped deeper and deeper and despite largely defending well, unless you're a team like Iceland or Sweden really built to defend like that (and England aren't though they were better than I expected), you're going to give up chances.

So much going forward reminded me of Robinson's Charlton. The players were SO far apart from each other. There was no movement in midfield, with the exception of Lingard who deserves a lot of credit for never stopping running. They had the ball and they had no idea what to do with it or how to look after it.

Last thing before I say good stuff: credit to Peckerman, he got his tactics spot on. They absolutely overloaded the midfield and forced England to give it away time and again at the edge of the final third. This is a Colombia side that is better than a lot of people (myself included probably) gave them credit for. But they're not brilliant. And Peckerman gets so much out of those players-they are far more than the sum of their parts. They're exactly the type of team--some youth, a lot of experience, with an excellent coach who defend well and know what they're good at, that you don't want to face in the knockout stages.

And despite all that, England are through. It's been a long, long, long time since England ground out a win like that in a tournament. Obviously longer still (Spain '96?) since they did it on penalties. And whatever happens in the next round, or the following round(s) should it come to that, this team can already say they broke the England penalty curse. It's a young group. It's a group whose core will still be together in two and four years, potentially with the addition of some really exciting young players, so everything after this is playing with the house's money.

Sweden up next. Sweden look like a carbon copy of Iceland in 2016, but with a better defense and worse attack. They will do exactly what they did to Germany, Mexico, and Switzerland, let England have the ball, soak up pressure, and hit them with speed on the counter and at set pieces. They're yet another team that are limited but who work very well as a unit, and who on paper look exactly like the type of side who would be good in a one-off tie.

But hey, at this point, why not?

I agreed with your thread up until the comment about Sweden. They're a decent side. They beat Mexico 3-0 and will be hard to break down, as the Swiss found out last night.

I was convinced that England were going to give away a stupid goal last night with the way they were playing in their own half after they's scored. It only takes one mistake and Dier and Walker almost made that mistake between them. I'm old enough to remember the 1970 defeat by Germany when we played like that when 2-0 up and we know what happened after that.

But we're through. That's what really counts. The Final is well within reach.
  • Options

As an aside, I was impressed with Ashley Young when things got tetchy and nasty during the game, you could see him calming England players down and moving them away from confrontations

Thought he had a great game.
  • Options

Not like you to talk about away support...