Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colombia v England - Tues 3rd July 7pm

Comments

• Options

It does feel as though all Russians at the games are supporting our opponents, so maybe that made up some of the numbers .

Everybody supports the other team when there’s a team you don’t want to meet in the later stages because you think you will lose to them...
  • Options

Watched BBC highlights and Murphy said same think as I did, (and others)
    Why didn't Vardy take 3rd or 5th penalty ?
    I'm sure he had an injury because he seemed to be holding his groin unless that is a nervous reaction !

No way would Henderson and Dier get ahead of Vardy. So the win through the penalities may be serendipitous BUT we are in the quarter finals and live to fight another day.

My understanding is that Southgate and his team planned for penalties by looking st the mentality of the taker, not just the technique. They wanted players who they felt thrive in pressure situations.

I expected to see Vardy take one, but to be fair Henderson has been a penalty taker for his club, and none of them were bad penalties, the one that was saved was more a great save than poor penalty - the much maligned Ospina went the right way for nearly all of them.

To call the win serendipitous is a bit unfair.
  • Options

Anyone still wishing we'd played the first team and 'kept momentum going' and got a win against Belgium?

At 92 mins that’s exactly what I thought
  • Options
    Definitely not Charlton :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm sure he had an injury because he seemed to be holding his groin unless that is a nervous reaction !

No way would Henderson and Dier get ahead of Vardy. So the win through the penalities may be serendipitous BUT we are in the quarter finals and live to fight another day.

My understanding is that Southgate and his team planned for penalties by looking st the mentality of the taker, not just the technique. They wanted players who they felt thrive in pressure situations.

I expected to see Vardy take one, but to be fair Henderson has been a penalty taker for his club, and none of them were bad penalties, the one that was saved was more a great save than poor penalty - the much maligned Ospina went the right way for nearly all of them.

Bizarrely i actually thought Dier's was a worse penalty than Henderson's, so i guess it's funny how these things work out. I know you can do as much planning for shoot outs as possible but for me you do still need an element of luck.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Bizarrely i actually thought Dier's was a worse penalty than Henderson's, so i guess it's funny how these things work out. I know you can do as much planning for shoot outs as possible but for me you do still need an element of luck.
    Think the luck was their one hitting the bar. Fractions.
  • Options
    What are Dier’s family connections with Charlton , apart from the name being an anagram of us as a club under Roland
  • Options

Yep it looked like Ospina had a touch of the Hans Segers pull the hand away about him with that winning penalty
  • Options

What are Dier’s family connections with Charlton , apart from the name being an anagram of us as a club under Roland

From wiki:

Dier is the grandson of Ted Croker, a former secretary of The Football Association and president of Cheltenham Town, and great-nephew of Peter Croker, who both played professionally for Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Just noticed in a clip of the team celebrations immediately after Dier scoring the winning pen as he made a bee line for Pickford; dives towards him and missed! Good job he didn't do that with his pen :joy: .

Pleased for the lad who gets a bit of stick on here despite his family connections with CAFC. Well done Eric!

Family connections with CAFC mean nothing if you can't do the basics in a game. He's a donkey. But a donkey that scored a decent Penner.
  • Options

True. I said after Colombia buried their first 3 penalties that i can't remember a side ever missing a penalty against us! Then they go and miss both their next 2.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

Just noticed in a clip of the team celebrations immediately after Dier scoring the winning pen as he made a bee line for Pickford; dives towards him and missed! Good job he didn't do that with his pen :joy: .

Pleased for the lad who gets a bit of stick on here despite his family connections with CAFC. Well done Eric!

Family connections with CAFC mean nothing if you can't do the basics in a game. He's a donkey. But a donkey that scored a decent Penner.
    He speaks highly of you as well Daz.

He's my link with the club and I'm bigging him up for it ok :wink:
  • Options

And I thought you was proper Charlton @oohaahmortimer :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Somewhat unbelievably, my pal in Dusseldorf tells me that most Germans are now rooting for England.

My wife has a German friend just moved to Bristol. He said he didn't understand why so many people in the pub were cheering when Germany went out. He said nobody in Germany cheers when England lose! Funny.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Dazzler21 said:

RedChaser said:

He speaks highly of you as well Daz.

He's my link with the club and I'm bigging him up for it ok :wink:
    It's okay, I used to big him up and question why he wasn't getting his chance... Now he is.

That penalty aside, surely no one can say he had a good game?
  • Options

Somewhat unbelievably, my pal in Dusseldorf tells me that most Germans are now rooting for England.

That's because they don't know what an inward looking nation that's full of little island mentality types we are.

It's as if we don't live up to the extremes that some would have the world believe we adhere to.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

My wife has a German friend just moved to Bristol. He said he didn't understand why so many people in the pub were cheering when Germany went out. He said nobody in Germany cheers when England lose! Funny.
    Because they always beat us and probably see us as an insignificant little brother.
  • Options

I've always thought that Tim Vickery has his finger on the button when it comes to South American football. Here is his view from the Colombian perspective. Worth a read ... but hey, we still won :smile:

Before the last of the second-round matches, legendary former Colombia striker Faustino Asprilla tweeted his prediction that "with the happy and beautiful football that has always been our characteristic, today we will beat cold England."

But Colombia's team selection made that a nonstarter.

There had indeed been some happy and beautiful football from Colombia in this World Cup. In their second game, they produced one of the most impressive performances so far to see off Poland 3-0. It was, sadly, the only time they had Juan Quintero in tandem with a fit James Rodriguez. The two left-footed attacking midfielders make the ball fizz, generating ideas and creating chances, bringing into the game the flying right winger Juan Cuadrado and the predatory striker Radamel Falcao.

But Rodriguez, to the enormous misfortune of the quality of the spectacle, was not fit to face England. For a man named after James Bond, it was a case of from Russia with frustration.

Colombia coach Jose Pekerman was clearly terrified of the prospect of facing England without his star player, so he set up his team with three purely defensive midfielders. Aware that Falcao offers little when isolated, he pushed Cuadrado close to him, advancing right-back Santiago Arias, with Carlos Sanchez covering the vulnerable space down that flank. Wilmer Barrios played the holding role, and there was also a place for Jefferson Lerma to complete the midfield block. This was a strange option. A far more logical choice would have been Matheus Uribe, sufficiently dynamic to get up in support of the strikers, offer Quintero a positive pass and carry out marking duties as well. Lerma could supply none of this, and his selection rendered Colombia impotent with the ball.

It was reminiscent of the bad old days of Colombian football, before the mid-1980s, when coach Francisco Maturana took over and built a fine side around the midfield talents of Carlos Valderrama. Maturana complained that before he took over, he was watching "Valderrama on the bench while [defensive midfielder] Pedro Sarmiento was playing, based on a starting point that the opponent is more important than one's own team."

By choosing Lerma, Pekerman was announcing that England were more important than Colombia and that he did not have the resources to go toe-to-toe with Gareth Southgate's team. This was also the starting point for the many antics of the Colombia side, the most noticeable being the constant attempts to surround the referee, all aimed at slowing the game and breaking up the rhythm at the moment when England were in the ascendency.

This made for a very poor spectacle -- and was doubly depressing given that Pekerman has traditionally been associated with fine passing football. But it was surely counterproductive. Because one of the lessons from Tuesday night in Moscow would seem to be that the current England side are not worthy of such respect and that even without James Rodriguez, Colombia still possessed the resources to play a more ambitious game.

There is no shame in being eliminated from the World Cup -- only one team gets to take the trophy home. But there should be disappointment in Colombia and from a coach with the CV of Pekerman with the manner in which the team approached the game. A country whose tradition stresses, as Tino Asprilla put it, "happy and beautiful football" deserves better.

Great write up from Vickery. Colombia offered absolutely nothing for 75 minutes and were more intent on fouling and trying to get reactions out of us. If they'd actually gone for the win, they may well have beaten us.
    Columbia looked dangerous when they started playing football

It was a very one sided stadium, there were a lot of Columbians there, indeed Europeans have generally been heavily out numbered in the crowd this tournament, the Putin and Russian Hooligan factors clearly putting people off, whereas in other parts of the world it doesn't seem to have made any impact

For all the warnings beforehand, I haven't heard of a single incident of violence on foreign spectators during the World Cup
  • Options

Quite. I think the saying goes:
    "If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers" or something.
    It's always possible to look at a tiny part of a game in isolation and say it was lucky/unlucky, but you've got to look at the whole picture.
    For example were we unlucky that Trippier only managed to head their goal onto the inner-underside of the bar? If only it had bounced out! Were we unlucky that Pickford got enough on his wondersave to turn it behind for the fateful corner - if he'd got less on it, it might have hit the bar/post and bounced to safety! Were we lucky when our defender (can't remember who) touched a ball behind and the ref gave a goal kick? Were we lucky that when Kane took his pen (in normal time) Ospina waved his leg at the ball and nearly got to it? If he'd kept it out, who knows what would've happened?
    Maybe we were lucky/unlucky to greater or lesser degrees in each case, but as the cliché says - these things even themselves out over time.
    At the end of the day, we scored the same number of goals as them, then we put more penalties away than they did. So we won. You take your good and bad fortune on your journey and you make of it what you will.
  • Options

I suspect many people won't even know what serendipitous means, let alone call the win that! :-)