Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• iainment said:
    I love the Tour but the last day rollover stinks.
    If it's a race then it should be raced for 100% of the course.

Everyone knows the real race finishes on the Saturday.  It's not like they naturalised the stage at the 11th hour. 
  • iainment said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    They Should make the last day competetive for once.
    It would be chaos, almost the whole field would have reason to race, noone is going to break away by anything meaningful.  Doing it as a staggered start time trial would be an option but wouldn't make great TV, as as soon as the first 3 people finish its effectively over. 

Anybody who thinks this is still legit is deluding themselves. Inside ten years this performance will have an asterisk beside it. Laughable. 
    Absolutely.
    It's really stupid too. The improvement is ridiculous

Why does it take so long to determine if a rider was doping at an event he has performed in? I know it frequently is the case. He was probably tested frequently throughout the year and practically everyday whilst he was in the yellow jersey. Presumably all these tests are negative. Why is it that sometimes, years later, the testing authorities deem a rider who passed all these tests was in fact riding with performance enhancing drugs?
  • iainment said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It would be chaos, almost the whole field would have reason to race, noone is going to break away by anything meaningful.  Doing it as a staggered start time trial would be an option but wouldn't make great TV, as as soon as the first 3 people finish its effectively over. 

Anybody who thinks this is still legit is deluding themselves. Inside ten years this performance will have an asterisk beside it. Laughable. 
    Absolutely.

Why does it take so long to determine if a rider was doping at an event he has performed in? I know it frequently is the case. He was probably tested frequently throughout the year and practically everyday whilst he was in the yellow jersey. Presumably all these tests are negative. Why is it that sometimes, years later, the testing authorities deem a rider who passed all these tests was in fact riding with performance enhancing drugs?
    Just a guess, but maybe it's because the doping and anti-doping contingents are in a perpetual game and mouse. It might be very easy to check for known substances/practices, but those with an interest in cheating won't stand still they'll be trying out new practices and new substances all the time. Perhaps the authorities need time for their technologies to catch up and re-tests to take place before stating negative results with any certainty. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    iainment said:

Everyone knows the real race finishes on the Saturday.  It's not like they naturalised the stage at the 11th hour. 
    Not to mention that a rider COULD try and gain seconds today if they really wanted - they wouldnt though because how many riders make up time on their rivals on flat stages

Flats are always stages for the Sprinters... rarely the GC's
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    iainment said:

Not to mention that a rider COULD try and gain seconds today if they really wanted - they wouldnt though because how many riders make up time on their rivals on flat stages

Unless a team try and team time trial from about 30k out there is no way any of the sprint trains would allow anyone to break away. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iainment said:

Unless a team try and team time trial from about 30k out there is no way any of the sprint trains would allow anyone to break away. 
    Think if a team tried to do that then the other Sprint teams would just gang up and bring them back again

Only way I think it could work is if the peleton effectively broke into two with half breaking away (like what we saw in the Olympic Road race @ London 2012 when no one would work with Britain to bring them back as everyone knew that they'd just be handing the Gold Medal to Mark Cavendish)
  • well, finally caught up with what was one of the best tours ive seen after watching grand tour racing for nearly 20 years. had about 10 stages to catch up on in the last two days. hard to keep away from the sport pages.  

such a shame that the weather slightly ruined it in the end. had hoped that Yates could get his hands on the polka dot jersey stopping any french hope. though i did feel bad for Pinot as he has always come across as a nice chap as has Bardet tbf. 

great for Columbia to have a winner finally, they dont half love cycling. and what a winner. Bernal is a real talent. 
  • iainment said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Absolutely.

It can take up to six years before a doped rider's bollocks finally explode.
  • Interesting rumour that Dumoulin joining Jumbo, that’s big competition for Ineos next year with him, Kruijswijk and Roglic. 

Will be great to watch against Bernal, Froome and Thomas ... if all three do the Tour. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Interesting rumour that Dumoulin joining Jumbo, that’s big competition for Ineos next year with him, Kruijswijk and Roglic. 

Will be great to watch against Bernal, Froome and Thomas ... if all three do the Tour. 
    Will hopefully create great competition but they've also got to get the one thing that SKY / Ineos have got spot on... Teamwork!!

Froome / Thomas last year and Thomas / Bernal this year shows how they all work for each other

If Dumoulin / Kruijswijk / Roglic can do the same then yeah they'll be a threat

Else they could easily end up like Valverde | Quintana | Landa at Movistar who dont seem to have that characteristic
  • Sponsored links:

• Did I miss something or were Elia Viviani, Tim Wellens, David Gaudu and Enric Mas not worthy of a place on the podium?

• Viviani should be on every podium, just like his brother

• That was just the best Tour I can remember.  It's up there with the '89 and 2006 Tour.  I don't remember the drama of the mountains but the final stage TT of 89 is still the best stage I can remember:  Wish they'd do it again as Denni Menchov's final stage TT in the 09 Giro was brilliant drama.

Disregarding questions on Quintana's 'recovery' and Alaphillipe's ability to ride anerobically explosively when his aerobic threshold was smashed, just bloody brilliant.  I'm just gutted Matt van der Poel is concentrating on mtb in the Olympics and not riding a Grand Tour next year.  I hope Jumbo Visma get behind Roglic and whatever GT he rides.
  • 2020 Route has been announced with just the one Time Trial which is frustratingly set the day before Paris!!

Means for me the end of the Tour could be rather meh! without the battle on a mountain like we saw this year
  • Looking at that there are no stages in Northern France for a quick nip across to watch like other years. 
  • 2019 - all in the east 2020 - all in the south Are they trying to skimp on transport costs?
  • edited October 2019
    All in France as well next year.
  • Doing their best yet again to get a French winner, with Pinot clearly in mind. 

Ineos win again probably but Jumbo Visma are going to make a fight of it. 
  • I’m looking forward to July 7!
    The start is going to be right on our doorstep here in Le Château-d’Oléron!
  • Going to be an interesting year for Mark Cavendish in 2020

Has just joined Bahrain-Merida to hook up with old coach; Rod Ellingworth - Hopefully he'll have one final swansong there as they dont really have an out and out sprinter like him, just a shame that the TdF is primarily for the climbers this year

Guess its a chance where he could focus on getting that Gold Medal at Tokyo as will definitely be his last chance what with the Maddison back this time round
  • Sponsored links:

• Won against Viviani twice this week in Madison at 6day London...
  • Pedro45 said:
    Won against Viviani twice this week in Madison at 6day London...
    He looked good 
  • Cav's finished on the Road - has been for two years. Nothing to do with glandular fever either - he always needs an excuse when he isn't performing - it's part of his psyche. Be a blessing in disguise, as he's born to ride the Madison and its back in the Olympics next year. Might finally get that gold! 
  • I agree with Leroy, I cannot see Cav winning another stage in a Grand Tour.
  • Nah the next Generation have well and truly arrived now

Even Cav was tweeting about Caleb Ewan's win on the Champs-Elysee saying how impressed he was with his speed

I know Griepel was no where near the level of Cavendish / Kittel but just look at his Tour this year

Never overly liked the bloke but was soul destroying to see how his career was winding down
  • Rohan Dennis joined Ineos - could be interesting. 
  • stonemuse said:
    Rohan Dennis joined Ineos - could be interesting. 
    Yeah. Dave Brailsford managing a bloke who could have an argument in an empty room... 
  • edited December 2019
    I dont know much about Ineos and their transfers this year but is Dennis really the sort of rider they want / need?

Replacing Walt Poels isnt going to be easy surely - Yet I cant imagine Rohan being that man as he's more of a TT Rider - Or is their plan next year going to be for Thomas | Froome | Bernal to drag each other up the road and sod the domestiques
  • Ethan Hayter now signed for Ineos, very exciting prospect. 

His prime aim is still the Olympics, which Ineos have agreed. Good news. 
  • Not strictly for this thread, but no point opening a new one  

“Team Ineos has announced a new partnership with Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes-AMG Petronas Motorsport team and Ineos Team UK, the America’s Cup sailing team headed by Sir Ben Ainslie. 

The agreement will see each of the teams share expertise on key performance elements such as aerodynamics, component design and manufacturing.

Details on actual developments are scant at the time of writing but, according to Team Ineos boss Sir Dave Brailsford, the three teams hope to “cross-pollinate” their “collective knowledge in science, technology, human performance and racing strategy to create even stronger winning environments.” “