Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Typical over protected wimpy sportsmen. I've cycled in worse commuting to work. 

• Can someone please tell me what the scores on the doors are now?
  • Can someone please tell me what the scores on the doors are now?
    Bernal is now in Yellow

Remains to be seen where Thomas is, could be in second but think he's still just behind Alaphilippe in the GC
  • Tomorrow is now bigger than ever, that climb up to Val Thoren is brutal and will decide the race.... What a fantastic bike race this  B)
  • Yeah looking at the ITV4 pictures now... they couldnt ride through that

Right decision!!
  • Yet more extreme weather. Probably the most exciting race in 30 years, and it is hugely frustrating.
    Pity for the spirited JA, who was making up ground on the descent. And the spectators positioned on the Montee de Tignes.
    A somewhat wasted day's annual leave for me. Grrrr.
  • Cant get twitter at work.
  • Yet more extreme weather. Probably the most exciting race in 30 years, and it is hugely frustrating.
    Pity for the spirited JA, who was making up ground on the descent. And the spectators positioned on the Montee de Tignes.
    A somewhat wasted day's annual leave for me. Grrrr.
    He'd have lost more time on the last climb though
  • Sponsored links:

• Did the French do that on purpose to help Alaphillippe?
  • Wouldn't wish this to happen, and Alliphillpe doesn't deserve the bad luck. But I can't deny reading the French comments on FB complaining about it being unfair and that Bernal is on drugs is hilarious. 
  • DRAddick said:
    Wouldn't wish this to happen, and Alliphillpe doesn't deserve the bad luck. But I can't deny reading the French comments on FB complaining about it being unfair and that Bernal is on drugs is hilarious. 
    What was his bad luck?

It's done him a favour as he'd have lost more time in the last climb. If anything it's possibly saved him a podium place.

Terrible day for the French though, with him and Pinot.
  • DRAddick said:
    Wouldn't wish this to happen, and Alliphillpe doesn't deserve the bad luck. But I can't deny reading the French comments on FB complaining about it being unfair and that Bernal is on drugs is hilarious. 
    What was his bad luck?

It's done him a favour as he'd have lost more time in the last climb. If anything it's possibly saved him a podium place.

Terrible day for the French though, with him and Pinot.
    Not that straight forward. We don't know how much he would have caught up and possibly over taken on the long decent and then the last climb was shorter than the previous ones. Lots of variables still in play, not necessarily to win it but what position he finishes in. There was just as much chance of him being in a better position from where it now is, than being in a worse one. 
  • Not fully confirmed yet but these are the provisional standings:

1. Egan Bernal 
    2. Alaphilippe at 45’’
    3. Thomas at 1’03’’
    4. Kruiswijk at 1’15’’
    5. Buchmann at 1’42’’

• And that road was recently re-laid specifically for today.

Would never happen here in Germany.
  • edited July 2019
    Tomorrow's stage route has been changed. Now much shorter, just 59km instead of 130! and climbs removed. A flatter shorter route now changes things considerably.

"Due to the difficult weather conditions expected tomorrow and land slides noticed, the course of the 20th stage of the Tour de France will be modified.
    After taking off from Albertville, the stage will go on the N90 road to head directly to Moutiers and then go on the initial end of stage at the N90 – D915 roundabout, 36kms from the finish.
    The start will be given in Albertville at 14:30 for a total distance of 59kms.
    All the initial sporting points will be withdrawn except the KOM standings at the finish in Val Thorens."
  • The old course profile is in green and the revised profile in red.

Should help those who descend quickly.

• Addickted said:
    The old course profile is in green and the revised profile in red.

Ends in a descent? Now who might that favour? 

I’m sure they can’t possibly be trying to help Alaphillipe. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Stating on BBC, and organisers communications seem to suggest the race is still going to finish at the top of Val Thorens as originally planned. 
  • DRAddick said:
    Addickted said:

Stating on BBC, and organisers communications seem to suggest the race is still going to finish at the top of Val Thorens as originally planned. 
    Hope so 
  • That looks a stage very favourable for Alaphilippe!!
  • stonemuse said:
    DRAddick said:
    Addickted said:

Hope so 
    Sounds like they'll ride directly to Val Thores and just go up, so tomorrow's stage has been reducded from 130km to 59km. 

Will suit Bernal down to a T, his tour to loose now. 

Such a shame one of the best and most open tour's in years final climax has been shortened like this but with the weather and todays pictures I can only feel ASO have made the correct decision. 
  • Bernal so emotional when he got yellow jersey, burst into tears. 

He is going to be a phenomenal talent. 
  • stonemuse said:

He is a phenomenal talent. 
    It can't be often that the same team has won back to back tours, when the "leader" hasn't won? 
  • stonemuse said:
    DRAddick said:
    Addickted said:

Hope so 
    Sounds like they'll ride directly to Val Thores and just go up, so tomorrow's stage has been reducded from 130km to 59km. 

Will suit Bernal down to a T, his tour to loose now. 

Such a shame one of the best and most open tour's in years final climax has been shortened like this but with the weather and todays pictures I can only feel ASO have made the correct decision. 
    'Kin hell @DRAddick was being serious! I almost lol'd him and now it turns out they have shortened tomorrows route. Really not sure why they've cut out the Cormet de Roselend yet left over half of the stage with the ascent to Val Thorens.

Pretty sure that will suit everyone in the top ten apart from Alaphilippe and bugger up my bet.

• Tomorrow's adapted stage profile - 

• So gutted for Pinot to, he's overcome so much in his career already, I really like him and seeing him abandon today was so hard to watch, I hope he bounces back again. 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/thibaut-pinot-convinced-win-tour-432927
  • edited July 2019
    Tomorrow should be interesting as it is now nothing but a glorified time trial, when you think of Chris Froome's spectacular 80km solo break on stage 19 of the Giro d’Italia last year