Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FA Cup 2018/2019 (In general)

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:

shame that lb is not putting a strong side out - pisses me off as i never thought we would be the club to do it, id happily get to the 3rd round get a big london club away have a day out and never know get a result, we are sat 6th in league 1 - not exactly overachieving are we.

I get this for the younger fans but trying to get out of this league must have top priority. Why run the risk of even more injuries for the off chance of a day out against one of the big boys? Been there done that got the T shirt.

Bowyers hands are tied with the lack of depth in the squad thanks to the old scrote who owns us who must take all the blame for your disappointment.
    agree. LB should remind RD that if he wants a chance of a big payday against a London Prem side on 3rd round day then we need a decent squad.
  • Options

shame that lb is not putting a strong side out - pisses me off as i never thought we would be the club to do it, id happily get to the 3rd round get a big london club away have a day out and never know get a result, we are sat 6th in league 1 - not exactly overachieving are we.

Especially for those of us making the trip on a Sunday. Not asking for LB to put out our starting 11, but just hope the line-up doesn't take the piss.
  • Options
    I think defeats at Rochdale and draws at home to Oxford are more likely to hamper our promotion charge than playing a strong side at Mansfield.

I dont like or agree with the deliberate picking of a weakened side for the FA Cup and would love an attractive fixture to look forward to should we beat Mansfield but its his decision as manager so will hope for the best.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Especially for those of us making the trip on a Sunday. Not asking for LB to put out our starting 11, but just hope the line-up doesn't take the piss.
    I'm going Sunday and I hope he picks the under 11s
  • Options
    He could always play the team that played the last ‘cup’ match away to lower league opposition Stevenage. They seemed to cope OK and scraped a lucky win
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Have I missed something here.....has LB ((or anyone else within the club), indicated that we’re going to field a significantly weakened side?
    Has extra interest to me as I will be there.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I'm only going to see us play at a new ground. The same with Burton later this month.

Whatever side Bowyer puts out I'm sure it will be the right one at the time and all those lads will give it their all.

It is what it is.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

He could always play the team that played the last ‘cup’ match away to lower league opposition Stevenage. They seemed to cope OK and scraped a lucky win

Phillips; Dijskteel, Pratley (C), Sarr; Marshall, Maloney, Ward (Morgan, 60), Lapslie, Stevenson (Reeves 88); Vetokele, Ajose

Was the squad for the Stevenage game with those players in bold that I'd expect to see starting on Sunday

Put Clarke in for Ward hopefully and Hackett-Fairchild in for Vetokele

Dont forget though that Stevenage played a very youthful team themselves against us whereas I'd be surprised if Mansfield were to do the same

Phillips
    Pratley | Sarr | Stevenson
    Marshall | Maloney | Clarke | Morgan | Lapslie
    Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild
  • Options

Have I missed something here.....has LB ((or anyone else within the club), indicated that we’re going to field a significantly weakened side?
    Has extra interest to me as I will be there.

Bowyer playing mind games with the opposition. Expect Taylor, Igor and Cullen to start...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Are you on the empty coach?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

I'm only going to see us play at a new ground. The same with Burton later this month.

Whatever side Bowyer puts out I'm sure it will be the right one at the time and all those lads will give it their all.

It is what it is.
    That's fine for you and the other's going with that mentality but I'm going in the hope of a decent away day.

I trust Bowyer and I would back our u23s to do a job on Mansfield anyway, but it would just be nice to take the cup seriously for once.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Croydon said:

I think LB will remember your advice at Bromley addicks with Robinson about the team that should put out for the FA Cup.

• Options
    Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

It is what it is.
    That's fine for you and the other's going with that mentality but I'm going in the hope of a decent away day.

I trust Bowyer and I would back our u23s to do a job on Mansfield anyway, but it would just be nice to take the cup seriously for once.
    I always have a decent away day. The 90 minutes in between can be sometimes be a waste of time though.

Enjoy the game and the new ground.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    RedChaser said:

I get this for the younger fans but trying to get out of this league must have top priority. Why run the risk of even more injuries for the off chance of a day out against one of the big boys? Been there done that got the T shirt.

Bowyers hands are tied with the lack of depth in the squad thanks to the old scrote who owns us who must take all the blame for your disappointment.
    i do not think we are that thin as people make out every club has injuries we probably have one of the better sqauds in the league, playoffs are minimum i think and even then we only have a 1 in 4 chance, the dropped points against shit opposition are what will cost this season.

rolands a wanker we all know that - but the constant excuses for not seeing games out is starting to get a bit tedious.

at for your comments of got the tshirt - the last biggish game i saw us play was against the nigels and that ended in the usual disappointment, for me personally i wont be able to go football forever so would be nice to see a bigger ground with the group of mates i go with now before other commitments come up, plus many of us are the 1st to moan when teams play weak sides in cups, i am sure many would be quite upset if millwall played arsenal and arsenal played there academy sqaud etc.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

It is what it is.

Why?
  • Options
    edited November 2018

RedChaser said:

i do not think we are that thin as people make out every club has injuries we probably have one of the better sqauds in the league, playoffs are minimum i think and even then we only have a 1 in 4 chance, the dropped points against shit opposition are what will cost this season.

rolands a wanker we all know that - but the constant excuses for not seeing games out is starting to get a bit tedious.

at for your comments of got the tshirt - the last biggish game i saw us play was against the nigels and that ended in the usual disappointment, for me personally i wont be able to go football forever so would be nice to see a bigger ground with the group of mates i go with now before other commitments come up, plus many of us are the 1st to moan when teams play weak sides in cups, i am sure many would be quite upset if millwall played arsenal and arsenal played there academy sqaud etc.
    I'm not disputing the strength of the squad it's the depth that is the issue and is responsible for Page's latest breakdown. We are thinner than last season having lost more players than we signed since then, add to that Bauer, JFC, Vetokele, Cullen, Djiksteel, Reeves all out, Taylor struggling / suspended and Clarke not yet fully match fit.

I just can't see the point in putting other first teamers at risk. Even playing the likes of Sarr, Pratley, Marshall and Lapslie is going to be a risk on Saturday which is a distraction we can do without. As for promotion via the play offs I'm sure Bowyer hasn't given up automatic just yet but his aim has got to be top six which is back on track after these back to back wins, which in turn has proven we can see out games.

Football success doesn't come round that often as our history confirms unless you are one of the current household names who have bought it but there are periods when it's 'your turn'. This year again because of a combination of factors against us from the owner, injuries and the paucity of the squad it's unlikely to be 'our turn' but one day hopefully it will be again. Keep the faith your day will come :wink: COYRs
  • Options
    edited November 2018

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

I think LB will remember your advice at Bromley addicks with Robinson about the team that should put out for the FA Cup.

Think robinson said were putting out quite a strong team, was there about 2 1st teamers in there and I said that's 2 too many.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

It is what it is.

Why?
    Assume you're asking why it would be nice to take the cup seriously?

Because being Charlton fans, we have very few things we can get excited about. That run to the quarter final a few seasons back was the only decent thing this club has done with Roland in charge. Yes it ended in tears and a dogshit performance but it was class heading up in the morning of the game and seeing the motorway lined with Charlton scarves/flags in car windows. Or Fulham away a few seasons before that, one of the all time great away days.

I know the FA cup has lost a lot of its appeal but I still enjoy watching the draw, especially if we make it to the 3rd round and have the chance of getting a big side, or even better a derby. I get that people don't want to risk first-teamers, but if we can have a cup run without being detrimental to the league campaign then what's the harm?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Croydon said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

It is what it is.

Why?
    I get that people don't want to risk first-teamers, but if we can have a cup run without being detrimental to the league campaign then what's the harm?
    None but I like the odds stacked in my favour so unless I had a crystal ball, I wouldn't run the risk? :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

I'm not disputing the strength of the squad it's the depth that is the issue and is responsible for Page's latest breakdown. We are thinner than last season having lost more players than we signed since then, add to that Bauer, JFC, Vetokele, Cullen, Djiksteel, Reeves all out, Taylor struggling / suspended and Clarke not yet fully match fit.

I just can't see the point in putting other first teamers at risk. Even playing the likes of Sarr, Pratley, Marshall and Lapslie is going to be a risk on Saturday which is a distraction we can do without. As for promotion via the play offs I'm sure Bowyer hasn't given up automatic just yet but his aim has got to be top six which is back on track after these back to back wins, which in turn has proven we can see out games.

Football success doesn't come round that often as our history confirms unless you are one of the current household names who have bought it but there are periods when it's 'your turn'. This year again because of a combination of factors against us from the owner, injuries and the paucity of the squad it's unlikely to be 'our turn' but one day hopefully it will be again. Keep the faith your day will come :wink: COYRs
    Players do also need to play. The likes of Sarr, Marshall and Lapslie (and Ajose especially) are short on match time in the last month. And players WANT to play, and with the 2 week break to the next league game, I think rustiness is as much a danger as injuries/tiredness
  • Options
    http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2018/04/do-deep-runs-in-the-fa-cup-affect-league-form/

Football supporters are funny. Myths constantly repeated become truths. The hard evidence suggests that cup runs have a positive effect on League form.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

http://harvardsportsanalysis.org/2018/04/do-deep-runs-in-the-fa-cup-affect-league-form/

Football supporters are funny. Myths constantly repeated become truths. The hard evidence suggests that cup runs have a positive effect on League form.

So what injuries did these teams have on their good runs then? Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics! :wink:
  • Options

Was actually wondering this.

Most recent great cup run i can remember was Lincoln 2 seasons ago, they got to the FA Cup quarter finals, whilst also managing to win the National league. Think they also went pretty far in the FA trophy that season too.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Players do also need to play. The likes of Sarr, Marshall and Lapslie (and Ajose especially) are short on match time in the last month. And players WANT to play, and with the 2 week break to the next league game, I think rustiness is as much a danger as injuries/tiredness
    Fair comment but none of Sarr, Lapslie or Marshall looked rusty last night in fact it was the opposite, raring to go, eager to impress and so they did. If need be arrange a behind closed doors friendly rather than play them in a blood and guts cup tie that a lower league team will treat as their final and take no prisoners.
  • Options

Was actually wondering this.

Most recent great cup run i can remember was Lincoln 2 seasons ago, they got to the FA Cup quarter finals, whilst also managing to win the National league. Think they also went pretty far in the FA trophy that season too.
    Bradford for me won the Play-Offs the year they reached the League Cup Final because they were used to playing at Wembley (think Parkinson said as much himself)

Same with Rochdale last season, they probably put themselves into a false position with the amount of catching up they had to do with their FA Cup run yet bet that aided their survival
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Fair comment but none of Sarr, Lapslie or Marshall looked rusty last night in fact it was the opposite, raring to go, eager to impress and so they did. If need be arrange a behind closed doors friendly rather than play them in a blood and guts cup tie that a lower league team will treat as their final and take no prisoners.
    Mansfield are in the playoffs in L2 and on a really good run, they're not going to want a blood and guts match either
  • Options
    Phillips
    Dijksteel, Bielik, Sarr, Stevenson
    Pratley
    Aribo, Lapslie
    Ward
    Ajose, Clarke

Think it’ll be Phillips’ turn to get some game time, he’d rather risk bielik than pearce and we’ve no choice to play one of them, the kid at LB seems ideal chance to give him a go after his last exploits against league two oppo, Lapslie a given surely, Aribo appears not to ever need a rest, Pratley the experienced head, three whippets making things happen in attack, I’d imagine Clarke won’t get more than 60 regardless of the score, Fosu could get the nod again over Ward though just going on who played and didn’t play last night.
  • Options

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Mansfield are in the playoffs in L2 and on a really good run, they're not going to want a blood and guts match either
    I'm not convinced.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

Are you on the empty coach?
    G
    Croydon said:

clb74 said:

Croydon said:

shirty5 said:

Croydon said:

It is what it is.

Why?
    Assume you're asking why it would be nice to take the cup seriously?

Because being Charlton fans, we have very few things we can get excited about. That run to the quarter final a few seasons back was the only decent thing this club has done with Roland in charge. Yes it ended in tears and a dogshit performance but it was class heading up in the morning of the game and seeing the motorway lined with Charlton scarves/flags in car windows. Or Fulham away a few seasons before that, one of the all time great away days.

I know the FA cup has lost a lot of its appeal but I still enjoy watching the draw, especially if we make it to the 3rd round and have the chance of getting a big side, or even better a derby. I get that people don't want to risk first-teamers, but if we can have a cup run without being detrimental to the league campaign then what's the harm?
    Yes I enjoy watching the draw for the cup and like hundreds of others with Mansfield away being a new ground shouted with joy .
    5 minutes later though reality kicked in , we are know going to have to wait a few days to find out what day were playing.
    Then we find out Sunday 12.45 ko then a good percentage of those going are now not.
    Like last season there were about 12 of my lot going afc changed it to the Sunday 2 ended up going.
    Would've been at least 15 going up If Mansfield was on the Saturday there's just 2 going maybe 3.
    For a lot of us the cups not what it was years ago and most teams are not bothered with the cup , if your one of the top 10 teams in the championship at the moment do you really want to be going on a little cup run with the premier league calling.
    With Taylor and Igor out the next league game do we really want to risk grant and ajose.