Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Belgium (3rd place play off)

12346»

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:

Genuinely feel like our time will come. Fantastic chance blah blah blah but we are finally getting it right at St George’s Park and it will happen

Not in my lifetime.
    Shut up.
    You ain't 45 yet
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    We have a decent manager - the beginnings of a decent system and are probably only two or three of the right additional players away, along with the young players we have who will be better in four years. We will also be playing in temperatures between 17 and 25 degrees in Qatar. I'd say we have as good a chance as any.

Can you hold on that long clb74?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I reckon Belgium moved out of first gear at least 3 times in that game .
    They were more than comfortable but I shall be eternally grateful for them turning us over in the group and providing us with a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to the final , although hopefully the over hype on us may see somewhat of a reality check after today .
    We’re decent but need a lot of work and a good few more players before we will realistically be challengers for the World title .
    Italy and Holland will come again , Spain and Germany won’t be so weak , a big chance missed in this tourney .

Spot on. If we'd had won the group there is no way we'd have been looking at a semi-final. May have stumbled against Japan and certainly would have gone out v Brazil in the Qtrs (although that was expected and would have been deemed a success). In the main, our football was laboured, pedestrian and without any real innovation or penetration (set piece goals etc). Getting to the semi has simply papered over the cracks of how inferior we still are on the World stage.

This will only change if the youngsters are given a chance at the big clubs or get the opportunity to move to Europe to ply their trade (e.g. Lookman).

With the ability of the youngsters coming through and the 'system' at St George's Park, the future is still bright though; but only if we can manufacture a creative 'Gascoigne-esque' type player again.
    We might still be 'inferior' but let's be honest, we are a lot better than we thought we would be at the start of the tournament. At least we can win games and play.

I've been looking at the upcoming players and Foden seems like the one we've been missing. Gascoigne-esque. He could be absolutely world class.
  • Options
    I think Lookman could become a key player but you never know. And a youngster could come out of nowhere. Would be great to find an English Gareth Bale. I think a Great Britain team would have won this tournament.
  • Options

I think Lookman could become a key player but you never know. And a youngster could come out of nowhere. Would be great to find an English Gareth Bale. I think a Great Britain team would have won this tournament.

Apart from Bale, which other British player would get in the side though? Ramsey maybe but i can't think of anyone else.
  • Options

clb74 said:

Genuinely feel like our time will come. Fantastic chance blah blah blah but we are finally getting it right at St George’s Park and it will happen

Not in my lifetime.
    Shut up.
    You ain't 45 yet
    Well fuck me in this world cup france beat Argentina belgium and croatia.
    We lost to croatia and belguim twice.
    Belgium beat brazil and lost to france
    #notinmylifetime
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Not in my lifetime.
    Shut up.
    You ain't 45 yet
    #notinmylifetime
    Only the good die young.
    I reckon you Will live to about 120.
    Just raise a glass to me when we win it Chris and I will save a place for you in heaven.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Not in my lifetime.
    Shut up.
    You ain't 45 yet
    #notinmylifetime
    And you slag me off for my apathy towards the national team!!!
    #makeyourmindup
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Not in my lifetime.
    Shut up.
    You ain't 45 yet
    #notinmylifetime
    Only the good die young.
    I reckon you Will live to about 120.
    Just raise a glass to me when we win it Chris and I will save a place for you in heaven.
    He'll live forever mate.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Apart from Bale, which other British player would get in the side though? Ramsey maybe but i can't think of anyone else.
    On the other hand it would be funny having a British team in a tournament and still no Scots qualify.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Think Andy Robertson would get in. Cracking left back. Other than that probably just Bale and Ramsey.
  • Options
    alicwkd said:

Think Andy Robertson would get in. Cracking left back. Other than that probably just Bale and Ramsey.
    Would probably add Ben Davies as a backup to Robertson too...

Would also consider Tom Cairney from the Scotland team yet seeing that he was born in Nottingham we could have had him in the England setup anyway same with Matt Ritchie