Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Xbox v PlayStation- Help!

Not for me, I have zero interest in gaming and haven’t played one since Graham Gooch’s Test Cricket on the Commodore 64.

But (reluctantly) looking at getting something for the kids for Xmas. Other than playing the Cube on the Wii, they have had no access to gaming and although I hate the thought of them wasting hours playing computers, I know one of them is already feeling the odd one out where all his school friends are concerned.

So what is the key differences for a simpleton like me to understand?
What’s most suitable for them as 8yr olds with the next few years in mind?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Either mate, once they have a go of fortnite you may as well buy them comodes to use whilst playing
  • Options
    You're just going to get a 50/50 split on here. But definitely get an idea what their mates have as it's all online etc now.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    MarkyE83 said:

Buy what their friends have.

This 100%.

Also bare in mind that which ever you choose you’ll have to pay an extra £30 annual subscription to access the consoles online content.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    IMO it's just personal preference as they both run the same games (mostly, the ones most people care about anyway... FIFA, Fortnite etc.) and pretty much do the same thing unless you're a gaming nerd and care about minuscule differences. The best thing to do is definitely find out what their mates are using so they can play together easily.
  • Options
    MarkyE83 said:

Yeah 100% agree with this
  • Options
    There's little difference between them. Online gaming is huge with kids now, so, as others have said, what their friends have is the main consideration. If all of their friends have PS4s and they want to play with them, there's not much point getting them an Xbox (and vice versa).

As a secondary consideration, not all games appear on both platforms, so you may wish to consider which has the exclusive games that will appeal most to your kids. For example, the Spider-Man game that comes out later this year will only be available on PS4. Lists of some of the exclusive games coming out this year are below:

Xbox: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/the-10-biggest-xbox-one-exclusives-confirmed-for-2/2900-1744/
    PS4: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/the-24-biggest-ps4-exclusive-games-confirmed-for-2/2900-1742/
  • Options
    The split amongst the kids at my sons school was 100% XBOX

That said at age 5 and 7 we do not subscribe to Xbox live or anything like that but they play amongst themselves. They can in with others in a few years time.

From what I’ve seen Think PS4 is more teenagers/ adults who have it
  • Options
    Just to be devils advocate - have you thought about iPads?
  • Options
    Yeah does seem as though it's Xbox for kids, ps4 for us elderly :smile:
    Think I must be one of the few people that does nothing online, just play single player and that's it. Probably missing out but oh well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarkyE83 said:

That is the simple, basic but correct advice. Thanks! (though I have a suspicion that some of them have BOTH!)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The split amongst the kids at my sons school was 100% XBOX

That said at age 5 and 7 we do not subscribe to Xbox live or anything like that but they play amongst themselves. They can in with others in a few years time.

From what I’ve seen Think PS4 is more teenagers/ adults who have it

Except the really nerdy ones who are on home-build PCs. Haven't seen my youngest for four years now :wink:
  • Options

IMO it's just personal preference as they both run the same games (mostly, the ones most people care about anyway... FIFA, Fortnite etc.) and pretty much do the same thing unless you're a gaming nerd and care about minuscule differences. The best thing to do is definitely find out what their mates are using so they can play together easily.

Ah, see that’s what I needed to know. I (wrongly) assumed there were different games for the different consoles. Cheers
  • Options
    My boys have both, but very rarely use the X Box. All their mates are on PlayStation apparently, wearing their Betdaq shirts.
  • Options
    Not much between them. I’m a PlayStation man, not had an Xbox since the 360.

My nephew loves his Nintendo switch. I’ve got one too and they are ace. More fun
  • Options
    I'm PC master race, but out of those consoles PS4 has by far the more and better exclusive games. But as said it will depend if they have friends they wish to play with.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I hate to say it but Xbox is a better all rounder (sold my PS4 for an Xbox just last month)

It is better, runs quieter and allows game mods.

PS4 has the better exclusives.
  • Options
    Of course, there is another option of a Nintendo Switch.

Must be honest, never played it myself but a few friends have got them and said they're good.
  • Options
    There is very little between them. Whatever most of their friends has is the answer mate.
  • Options
    Playstation edges it in specs and exclusive games
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PS4 beats Xbox both in specs and price. But yeah get whatever their friends have
  • Options
    Believe the online monthly charge for Xbox is less than it is for playstation so might be something to consider
  • Options
    Fortnite is doing my head in - my just turned 10 year old is feckin addicted. Had to start rationing his time and it’s kicking off every night now.

It’s a total obsession
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Ah, see that’s what I needed to know. I (wrongly) assumed there were different games for the different consoles. Cheers
    There are a handful of 'exclusives' for each console, like that Spiderman one that @Gillis mentioned but all the most popular games will be available on both consoles.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I also wholeheartedly recommend the Nintendo Switch for anyone reading this.

I've loved playing Zelda and Mario on it in the past year but not the best purchase for an eight year old who just wants to play Fortnite, Minecraft or whatever the latest game is with their friends...
  • Options
    I agree with the others, you should buy the one their mates have.

Despite so many adults looking at games as anti-social, this is far from the truth. When I was at school those who didn't game just watched TV instead, the least social technology! I spent hours playing with mates online and chatting to them etc. Then it was down to me to decide if I'd do other things. Nowadays I play games with mates as well as regularly going out to the pub and playing football, etc.

You have to trust your kids to some degree. Most often they will choose a mix between your typical social life and the social life that can happen through gaming. It's certainly a good idea to monitor how much they play video games (as you can become addicted just like anything else) but you have to face it, video games can enhance social skills and social life for kids (and adults too).

The way I simply see it, is it's much better for kids to be gaming with mates than it is watching TV on their own for hours.
  • Options

I also wholeheartedly recommend the Nintendo Switch for anyone reading this.

I've loved playing Zelda and Mario on it in the past year but not the best purchase for an eight year old who just wants to play Fortnite, Minecraft or whatever the latest game is with their friends...

Although the Switch does have Minecraft and Fortnite!
  • Options
    EastStand said:

They’ll thank you in years to come when they’re safe in their underground bunkers weathering out the robot revolution.

Unless they're getting destroyed at FIFA.