Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    3hr30 for a two ball at Redlibbets this morning. 9 over after 5 holes but steadied the ship to finish 19 over including a stupid treble on 18 getting stuck in a bunker I should have been nowhere near it
  • Options
    Are you playing out of bunkers? Or picking and placing?   Raking the bunker with your foot?   I wasn't in one today but am not looking forward to going in one!    It was nice that the greens were smooth and rolling - they were shocking in March when this was all curtailed!
  • Options
    During the lockdown my local course Sundridge Park opened itself up to walkers. I went over a few times to walk the courses and they were lovely. I've actually gone and applied for Academy Membership there off the back of it.

Have anybody here played the courses there or had any experiences of the club?
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Are you playing out of bunkers? Or picking and placing?   Raking the bunker with your foot?   I wasn't in one today but am not looking forward to going in one!    It was nice that the greens were smooth and rolling - they were shocking in March when this was all curtailed!
    Redlibbets is undergoing a massive bunker renovation project. Some have been finished but most are either mid project which are GUR or yet to be done and are lacking a bit of care and attention and should really be GUR. The greenside bunker on 18th is one yet to be done and was rockhard with a dusty top layer. In hindsight we should have dropped out as we were both in it.
    Our greens looked fine but ran a bit slow. The ground is rather firm and shows how little rain we've had lately.
  • Options
    During the lockdown my local course Sundridge Park opened itself up to walkers. I went over a few times to walk the courses and they were lovely. I've actually gone and applied for Academy Membership there off the back of it.

about 12 years ago i was living in Sidcup and the guy living opposite one day saw me getting my clubs out the car. we got talking and he invited me to Sundridge park a number of times. Played both courses, one (East?) is a USPGA designed course, the other (West?) was shorter but tighter. Didnt get to sample the clubhouse as he always sneaked me on for a twilight freebie  
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    supaclive said:
    Redlibbets is undergoing a massive bunker renovation project. Some have been finished but most are either mid project which are GUR or yet to be done and are lacking a bit of care and attention and should really be GUR. The greenside bunker on 18th is one yet to be done and was rockhard with a dusty top layer. In hindsight we should have dropped out as we were both in it.
    Our greens looked fine but ran a bit slow. The ground is rather firm and shows how little rain we've had lately.
    I've played it once. On the day of the 7/7 London bomb attacks in 2005. Tee off time was around 9am so driving over from Swanley the radio news were just picking up reports of "incidents" on the tube network. It wasnt until I finished the round that I heard of what had really gone on that morning.

Spooky as I could have been at Tavistock Square if I hadn't been playing golf. I had a client who worked at BMA House & had been planning on seeing him that week. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    supaclive said:
    I've played it once. On the day of the 7/7 London bomb attacks in 2005. Tee off time was around 9am so driving over from Swanley the radio news were just picking up reports of "incidents" on the tube network. It wasnt until I finished the round that I heard of what had really gone on that morning.

Spooky as I could have been at Tavistock Square if I hadn't been playing golf. I had a client who worked at BMA House & had been planning on seeing him that week. 
    Ooops. Referred to wrong post. It was Sundridge Park I played that day.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    supaclive said:
    7.50am today, with Mike (77 year old).   He was a lovely guy.   We were the third group off since the club reopened - tee times 10 minutes apart.   We both played well considering first round in 8 weeks.   2hrs 45 minutes to get round 18 holes.   I managed to shoot a 74 (Par 70 but off the yellows so just 6,000 yards long).   I am going to take another 8 weeks off golf at a time!   It won't last though obviously I am expecting to break par on Friday!

Hmmm 74 - not bad.

I played 18 this morning and shot a 68. Would have been better but I had to take a penalty when one of my chips ended up under some of my patio furniture.
    68 one handed, whilst eating a bag of chips 🍟 Back garden or not! Wow that is impressive Bob 👏🏌️⛳️😉.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Interested in getting back into golf, it's been a long time for me.

Anybody got any sets of old clubs they'd like to sell? Or know of anyone/anywhere I can pick up a moderately decent cheap set?

Right Handed.

• Options
    @DoctorCharlton

i started playing again around 2 years ago, started off with a rubbish set i had from about 8 years ago but were flexi shafts and were just not for me. 

i then bought on golf bidder a set of cobra s3 max irons steel shaft they are really chunky but good improver irons was very hard not to get a strike with, treated myself in october to a set of mizuno jpx 900 off of golf bidder in really good nick cost me £325 including delivery. 

imo i would rather pay 150/200 for a decent branded set of clubs then 100/150 on a set of donnay or dunlop starter set. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    am booked to play 9 holes at cray valley on saturday midday - does me for getting back into it, will be carnage up there on the 18 hole course looked this morning from 07;07 they have a tee off every 7 mins booked all the way through to 12;14
  • Options

Anybody got any sets of old clubs they'd like to sell? Or know of anyone/anywhere I can pick up a moderately decent cheap set?

Right Handed.

I have heard Nimer has at least one club he wants to sell 
  • Options
    @DoctorCharlton

i started playing again around 2 years ago, started off with a rubbish set i had from about 8 years ago but were flexi shafts and were just not for me. 

i then bought on golf bidder a set of cobra s3 max irons steel shaft they are really chunky but good improver irons was very hard not to get a strike with, treated myself in october to a set of mizuno jpx 900 off of golf bidder in really good nick cost me £325 including delivery. 

imo i would rather pay 150/200 for a decent branded set of clubs then 100/150 on a set of donnay or dunlop starter set. 
    Just checking out Golfbidder, quite a few decent bits on there. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    Doctorcharlton. I have a set of dunlop with a carry bag. Yours for free but you have to collect from ct7 postcode. Nothing special but good to see if you get back into it b4 you spend good dosh.
  • Options
    anyone here a member of Dartford GC?
  • Options

Right Handed.

I will PM you
  • Options
    Changed title with people hitting 74s!
  • Options
    anyone here a member of Dartford GC?
    Yes mate. 
  • Options
    Having just finished a 5 week work detatchment i now have 2 weeks leave,looking forward to a couple of rounds next week. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ok. Glad you changed the title.
    I am retiring from golf after today. 

Did it with a Costco ball too.  Albeit off the yellows.  It won't ever get better.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Didn't know Sue Pollard was a 9 Handicapper , or played golf even.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Great play - well done!
  • Options
    Changed title with people hitting 74s!
    Oi !!!

Did not know it was in the rules to change my thread title ???

I am still shite 🙈

Power crazy mods 🤣
  • Options
    Hope you're all enjoying your games I'm very envious, I was playing off 3 when my health packed in 12 years ago, and I still miss it. 
  • Options
    I played Wednesday & Friday. First shot was an air shot so was kindly granted a mulligan (friendly 2 ball no comp). Spanked the next with a 3 iron 200 yards down the middle in perfect position for the dogleg. It’s a frustrating game!
  • Options

I live five minutes walk from sundridge. Two great courses, especially the east. Me and three mates are also considering the academy membership. It’s limited to 40 so I don’t know if they’re full or not. I keep meaning to call them. Will do tomorrow now you’ve mentioned it 👍
  • Options
    Don’t know what club this was at but someone I spoke to said social distancing was going out the window the closer to the clubhouse you got until at the end of the round people were all congregating on the patio drinking beer they had bought with them.....

and that pairs became fourballs by hole 4 😂
  • Options
    Just played my first round of the year. 15 over par. Might retire.