Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• My take on some of the course mentions on here today.........

Bexleyheath. Agree about it being "dangerous". Wouldn't want to be a member there.

Lullingstone. Not bad course but the couple of holes after the 1st thst are on the slope are a bit of a nightmare. Great views & decent greens though. 

Littlestone and The Warren. Quite like playing the Warren. Used to do twilight there when I worked in Hythe in the early 2010's. Usually quiet and can whizz round in 2 hrs. Wouldnt say Littlestone is worth the extra cost but is longer.

Never played Sidcup. 

For @sam3110. Quite a few courses in the area but depends on what you are looking for. I was a member at Barnehurst for a number of years, but only because my playing partner at the time lived opposite. Only 9 holes, too short & didn't help when I got onto a "proper" course. Apart from the ones already mentioned there are:

Ruxley
    Cray Valley
    Mid-Kent (Gravesend)
    Southern Valley 
    Birchwood
    Chelsfield Lakes
    Shoreham
    High Elms
    Pedham
    Cherry Lodge

Agree with all of this @golfaddick. I like Littlestone and have mates there so get to play it for mates rates. It’s not worth the full rack rate and is a trifle up itself IMHO. Not played the Warren. From your list, I offer the following opinions (apologies if they offend anyone). If I had to play Ruxley and Cray Valley regularly I’d give up golf and do something else. Mid-Kent is a nice track but has a full membership and is very difficult to get on for weekend competitions even as a member. Southern Valley is a decent pay and play course Which is very seldom closed even in winter due to naturally good drainage. When the wind blows it is very testing. I quite like it. Birchwood is very expensive for what it is and they cram you on in 4 min tee slots. Simply a money making exercise but has decent facilities.  I can’t stand Chelsfield lakes. Shoreham is a decent course. I think the ownership has changed since I last played there so don’t know how accessible it is. High Elms could be a good course but gets the shyte knocked out of it. Pelham is a good course. Very linksy for an inland course. I think they’ve been under threat from a large planning application for a new village redevelopment for a while but that may have died a death. Cherry Lodge is one of our “friendly” clubs so we have a lot to do with them. They’ve had huge course overhaul works in the last five or six years and it’s now bedding in. I really like the course and they’re a good bunch of people. Only problem is it’s in the middle of nowhere so drinkie-poos potential is a bit limited. 
  • Thanks @golfaddick I'll definitely be having a look at your recommendations
  • sam3110 said:
    Thanks @golfaddick I'll definitely be having a look at your recommendations
    Whoa there lad. I never said they were "recommendations", merely courses in the area. @Sillybilly had it about right regarding the ins & outs of them, although I don't rate Southern Valley that much.

Then there are a few others that people have mentioned like Redlibbets & Woodlands Manor......but they are usually full of cabbies and villains (being Noye country) and then a bit further afield you have Wrotham Heath, West Malling, Kings Hill and Poult Wood.
  • edited May 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Whoa there lad. I never said they were "recommendations", merely courses in the area. @Sillybilly had it about right regarding the ins & outs of them, although I don't rate Southern Valley that much.

Then there are a few others that people have mentioned like Redlibbets & Woodlands Manor......but they are usually full of cabbies and villains (being Noye country) and then a bit further afield you have Wrotham Heath, West Malling, Kings Hill and Poult Wood.
    And the verdict of the Sillybilly jury is as follows:

again @g@golfaddick is just about on the money. I’ve not played Redlibbets but hear mixed reviews about it, mainly from ex members who’ve moved to Dartford. Woodlands Manor is no more sadly. It closed down last year. A pity as it was half a good golf course - the nine down the bottom of the hill. I walked it last July and it’s amazing what six months of neglect does to a course. Very sad. Wortham Heath, like Cherry Lodge is another of our friendly clubs so I know it well and like it a lot. A couple of the weirdest holes you’ll ever find (the par 5 3rd and the 11th) but I enjoy it. West Malling has two courses, Hurricane and Spitfire which are pretty unremarkable although it’s been literally decades since I was there. Kings Hill I quite like although I’ve only played it twice. I’ve not had the pleasure of Poult Wood. 

Eltham Warren is the other course around here that no one has mentioned. Another 9 holer. Similar feel to Bexleyheath. It’s fine and I enjoy our annual friendly match but I wouldn’t want to do it any more often. Broke Hill was ok too but, like Woodlands, is sadly no more having been sold for development and the membership merged with Chelsfield Lakes which is owned by the same people. 

As for membership, I’d err on the side of the closest club so long as there are no obvious drawbacks. Dartford may be a fairly ordinary course, but it is the finest private members club within a mile of my house. It is in fact the only private members club within several miles of my house!!  15 minutes to walk there and about an hour to stagger home!!! Clubs in my locker.  Jobs a good un. I’d probably prefer to play Wrotham or Mid Kent in terms of the courses alone but I don’t want to drive 20 minutes for my golf. I can play other courses when I need to but for my bread and butter I’m quite happy where I am. 

• Wrotham heath is good I've a freebie to have there sometime soon. Both the littlestone courses are part of the membership package in have £90 a round would be a bit steep otherwise. 

Southern Valley a good course if you can't get out elsewhere 

• Just occurred to me. A little further afield but I like both Faversham and Sittingbourne. Interesting courses. 
  • @golfaddick for balance for when people are taking on board your advice, is it correct to say you’ve not really played these courses for years?
  • Just occurred to me. A little further afield but I like both Faversham and Sittingbourne. Interesting courses. 
    I'd quite like to play Sheerness down that way. 

I spend a disproportionate amount of work's time browsing this website and planning itineraries for trips I'll probably never go on: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/kent
  • Havent played Sheerness. Courses worth a visit within an hour or two that don’t cost a fortune are Broadstairs, Cooden Beach and the Woosnam at Dale Hill
  • edited May 2020
    RedPanda said:
    Just occurred to me. A little further afield but I like both Faversham and Sittingbourne. Interesting courses. 

I spend a disproportionate amount of work's time browsing this website and planning itineraries for trips I'll probably never go on: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/kent

If we're well into Kent then I've got a soft spot for Upchurch and I also quite like Nizels.

Caveat - I've played neither for maybe 15 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    RedPanda said:
    Just occurred to me. A little further afield but I like both Faversham and Sittingbourne. Interesting courses. 

If we're well into Kent then I've got a soft spot for Upchurch and I also quite like Nizels.
    I like Nizels. Good course and an opportunity over a beer to ogle the yummy mummys using the gym (Apologies for such an outdated sexist comment. Too much sunshine today has gone to my head 😉). 

Is Upchurch the one with loads of blind holes?  If so, I played it about five years ago and enjoyed it. 
  • edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    RedPanda said:

I like Nizels. Good course and an opportunity over a beer to ogle the yummy mummys using the gym (Apologies for such an outdated sexist comment. Too much sunshine today has gone to my head 😉). 

Is Upchurch the one with loads of blind holes?  If so, I played it about five years ago and enjoyed it. 

Yes, that's Upchurch - very hilly also.

The only club I've ever played with a swimming pool in the clubhouse!

P.S. I know what you mean about Nizels! Always used to play it with a society of about 24 blokes with them all looking the same way!
  • Ok Chaps, let’s throw it out there. What’s the best course you’ve ever played?  

My Favourite is Monte Rei near Tavira in the Algarve. 
  • edited May 2020
    Ok Chaps, let’s throw it out there. What’s the best course you’ve ever played?  

In the UK - Royal Lytham & St Annes
    Overseas - Aguilon GC, Almeria, Spain. - stunning

• I have Lytham (and Birkdale) booked for October. One bonus of lockdown has been the spare cash and annual leave. 

For now the best I've played is Royal St George's, it's not cheap but it's 100% worth it. North Berwick is a close second. 
  • Played the Earth Course and Emirates Hills both in Dubai but too bloody hot to really enjoy to the full. 
    So my favourite overseas experience was probably Vale de Lobo. 
    Played the Brabazon (Belfry) but was cold and windy so again not the finest memory. 
    Forest of Arden and Chart Hills stick out as memorable in the UK with also a little nod To Burhill 
  • Ok Chaps, let’s throw it out there. What’s the best course you’ve ever played?  

1) European club - county Wicklow 
    2) royal St. George’s - sandwich 
    3) Pelican Hill - Los Angeles 

• Pelican 
  • Have never played abroad and have played most mentioned on here. Moved away from Barnehurst area to Herne Bay a few years ago and sad to here Woodlands has closed also liked Austin Lodge but know that is no longer. Best two I've played are Woburn and The Grove
  • @golfaddick for balance for when people are taking on board your advice, is it correct to say you’ve not really played these courses for years?
    Yes, that's true. Due to eye surgery I've not played for around 4 years. Sad to hear that Broke Hill has closed as I quite liked that one.

New Years resolution was to get out again this Spring. Covid put paid to that sadly, but I'm hoping to get out again soon. 

But to counter that, I have played hundreds of courses over the past 20 odd years from right across the UK & I'm afraid don't rate many around here.
  • Sponsored links:

• Best - Poipu Beach, Kauai, Hawai’i
    on my honeymoon and my wife was with me. Incredible scenery and an unforgettable day

UK - Forest or Arden was cracking as is The London Club (bloody long though)
  • sam3110 said:
    sam3110 said:
    If you’re familiar with Lullingstone then Redlibbets is only a couple of miles up the road and is really good value for money.
    Pedham Place is also defent but does seem to have its own microclimate there as it’s always a few degrees colder than anywhere nearby.
  • Have never played abroad and have played most mentioned on here. Moved away from Barnehurst area to Herne Bay a few years ago and sad to here Woodlands has closed also liked Austin Lodge but know that is no longer. Best two I've played are Woburn and The Grove
    Woburn is excellent but I thought the Grove a bit "new". Then again, I played it just after it opened so I suppose its had time to bed in now.

Moor Park is quite good (where they shot the golf scene in Goldfinger) and so is The Shire. 
  • Very hard to give my best UK course. Top 5 are;

Morfa Nefyn
    Abedovey
    Woburn 
    Boat of Garten
    New Zealand

Not played much overseas. Probably Vilamoura in Portugal.
  • Overseas, Shadow Creek in Las Vegas, quite an awesome place.
    In the UK St George's Hill is one of my favourites.
  • edited May 2020
    Anybody played either of the 9 holes at Upchurch River Valley? Looking to play 9 holes in the next few weeks and Lullingstone haven't announced an opening date as yet.

Alternatively, any recommendations for a local (as in between Bexleyheath and Sittingbourne) 9 hole fairly short course? The academy course at pedham is ok, well looked after, but a bit dull. Was considering Cray Valley, but comments further up the thread have put me off.
  • UK - Carnoustie 

Abroad - most daunting - Monte Major about half an hour outside Marbella.  It closed for financial reasons in 2011 (rumours of money laundering).  The average golfer loses 8 balls per round....!

I've played a lot of amazing courses - spoilt that way.  

The Old Course is the only Open course I've not played.  

Pebble Beach and Augusta are the two bucket list.

Par 3 3rd, Monte Mayor below.  170 yards.  Sheer drop around the green.

Woburn is excellent but I thought the Grove a bit "new". Then again, I played it just after it opened so I suppose its had time to bed in now.

Moor Park is quite good (where they shot the golf scene in Goldfinger) and so is The Shire. 
    Sorry to correct you golfie but the scene from Goldfinger was shot at Stoke Park, another fantastic golf course.
  • England Belfrey & Addington Palace (fast true greens)
    Scotland Shiskine (isle of Aaron)
    USA Hunters Creek
    Belgium Koksjide 
    France Blue Green St Martine (just outside San tropez)

Sorry to correct you golfie but the scene from Goldfinger was shot at Stoke Park, another fantastic golf course.
    Stoke Park is so expensive to play as well