Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    BR3red said:
    supaclive said:
    First comp since lockdown today.  Wind up here was breezy - gusts of up to 35mph.

My form thankfully continued.   39 points (official handicap is 8.6).  Should be down to 8.

Long may my form continue but I am doubtful.
    Great golf - well done 👍👍-brutal out there today.

Well that’s my excuse !
    Brutal.....?  You don't know the meaning of the word. I once played a course in Felikstowe. On pulling up into the car park the car door was almost pulled off its hinges on opening it was that windy. The first hole runs alongside the sea & as it the case the wind was blowing off the sea. To keep your tee shot on the fairway you had to aim 45° out to sea. Never played an opening tee shot aiming so far right. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    First comp since lockdown today.  Wind up here was breezy - gusts of up to 35mph.

My form thankfully continued.   39 points (official handicap is 8.6).  Should be down to 8.

i always thought if someone had a proper handicap they’d be shooting it or better less than 50%
    so anyone know what it’s considered to be cos I’ve got supaclive in the bandito bracket 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    supaclive said:

i always thought if someone had a proper handicap they’d be shooting it or better less than 50%
    so anyone know what it’s considered to be cos I’ve got supaclive in the bandito bracket 

It's around 33% of the time playing to handicap or better - higher handicaps it would be nearer 25%.
    Much higher percentages than that and the bandit needs cutting!
  • Options
    BR3red said:
    Played last 2 days

Been playing great but yesterday, the signs were there....

Going out 11 points, coming in 20 - so recovered well.

Today 😩 Got 12 points front nine so 1 more than yesterday so was positive still....

New 9 and all that jazz - I can recover...

10 blob
    11 blob
    12 blob

Ffs 😩

2 nd shot hole 10 went long into trees - lost ball

Next shot shanked right into a jungle - lost ball

11th hole hooked left - lost ball

Next shot went long into the long stuff - lost ball

Lost 4 balls in 4 shots on 2 consecutive holes

Go to be a record without a bit of water in sight 🤣

So can anyone beat my shiteness with a horror show of losing 4 balls in 4 shots?

Thought not ..,.. 🤣
    I’ve also struggled on the front 9 in the 2 rounds I’ve played since my return (15pts followed by a shocking 10) but back 9s have been ok (17 & 18). Maybe it’s just a case of remembering the little disciplines as the round goes on.

In mitigation, there was a 35 mph wind yesterday on the exposed links of Newquay (which is far from unusual).
  • Options
    My first 6 holes at Broome Park yesterday were 677766 then a birdie 3 followed by par 4 back 9 so much better ended up with a 103 my ball striking has been so much better but scored not showing yet
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    magic1999 said:
    My first 6 holes at Broome Park yesterday were 677766 then a birdie 3 followed by par 4 back 9 so much better ended up with a 103 my ball striking has been so much better but scored not showing yet

Good ball striking is vital of course - but short game, short game, short game. That's the one area where most of us (and I'm guilty of that) fail to practice enough.
    Getting say a shot a hole (18 handicap) should mean that most players will get on or very near the green in one over regulation, and for most courses that are not littered with 450 yard par 4s you will be on or close in regulation on many holes. Improving your ability to get up and down from just off the green, and cutting out the three putts will improve your score more than anything else.

The other big tip I was always taught is 'play to your handicap' ability - so don't think you can hit that 3 wood off the fairway 250 yards straight - use a five iron and perhaps leave yourself a 50-70 yard pitch. If you're getting a shot at a hole, use it!
  • Options
    Cheers Bob short game was an issue yesterday as well as early drives as I was rushing to get to the course and not enough warm up and last week's issue was putting as the greens were so so slow and it threw me 

Next Friday fingers crossed it will start coming back 

• Options
    edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    magic1999 said:

Good ball striking is vital of course - but short game, short game, short game. That's the one area where most of us (and I'm guilty of that) fail to practice enough.
    Getting say a shot a hole (18 handicap) should mean that most players will get on or very near the green in one over regulation, and for most courses that are not littered with 450 yard par 4s you will be on or close in regulation on many holes. Improving your ability to get up and down from just off the green, and cutting out the three putts will improve your score more than anything else.

The other big tip I was always taught is 'play to your handicap' ability - so don't think you can hit that 3 wood off the fairway 250 yards straight - use a five iron and perhaps leave yourself a 50-70 yard pitch. If you're getting a shot at a hole, use it!
    Very good advice. My game improved when I left the 3 wood in the bag for my 2nd shot & simply took out a 5 or 6 iron. It might have meant still being short of the green in 2 but I was more accurate & not trying to get up & down from the trees, bunkers or rough.

I'm very short off the tees & not usually on in regulation for par 4 &5's. But I have (had) a very good short game & often scrambled a bogey most holes. The best I ever managed was to get my handicap down to 18......low enough to get a round down at Royal  St George's (and yes, they did check my handicap certificate !)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    supaclive said:

Been as low as 7.3.  Been going up steadily for nearly 2 years. Lockdown came.  Exercised, lifted weights and forgot about golf.  Only thing I've concentrated on since being allowed to play is keeping my backswing shorter and hey presto.

I've played probably 100 times in the last 2 years... minimum.  

Bandit is definitely not the word.  Not playing to my ability is true.   Currently.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Front 9 Back 9 syndrome affecting me too and again today, 14pts out 21pts back
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:

Been as low as 7.3.  Been going up steadily for nearly 2 years. Lockdown came.  Exercised, lifted weights and forgot about golf.  Only thing I've concentrated on since being allowed to play is keeping my backswing shorter and hey presto.

I've played probably 100 times in the last 2 years... minimum.  

Bandit is definitely not the word.  Not playing to my ability is true.   Currently.
    Yeah, righto bandit... :-)
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Front 9 Back 9 syndrome affecting me too and again today, 14pts out 21pts back

You can't be too disappointed surely, one point off your handicap so soon after a long lay-off?
    If I went out today and got 35 points I would be ecstatic!
  • Options
    So you should only hit your handicap a third of the time ? 

Learn something new everyday- thought it was your average score over a sustained period of time. 

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    So you should only hit your handicap a third of the time ? 

Learn something new everyday- thought it was your average score over a sustained period of time. 

The new world handicap system that was supposed to be introduced this year before things went mad is more of a long term average although from what I’ve read it’s gonna confuse the hell out of people if it ever happens. 

Banditry in golf is an enormous problem. I’ve been a single figure handicapper since I was in my teens. I’m 55 now.  I average out over the long term at 8ish. I’m currently 7.4 (though haven played since October and no prospect of doing so for the rest of this summer). Got down to 6.9 last summer which I was delighted about as it’s the lowest I’ve been since I was in my teens and good to know that the old fart can still do it. I may be old fashioned, but my ambition is always to have my handicap as low as it can be as an indication of my ability as a player. But I know lots of people who are a similar standard to me playing off handicaps of 12 or 13.  To my mind they are cheats pure and simple. Then there are the ageing and/or injured golfers whose handicap goes up ridiculously but who end up sitting on or close to the green in regulation almost every hole. In stroke play I’ll have them as keeping it together for 18 holes is an art but match play against these guys is impossible. Round a course like Dartford where length isn’t a factor it can be utterly demoralising giving someone 15 or 16 shots and watching them nudge it round.  And then there are the guys who are going well in the competitions but suddenly seem to double bogey the last two holes to protect/increase their handicaps.  Does my head in. I sometimes think I should just let my handicap go up four or five shots and start having a chance to win a few pots, but then I remember myself and take satisfaction from being able to say I’m reasonably good at this infuriating but marvellous game. 

Don’t get me started on society handicaps. That’s another story all by itself. We played out of our socks at Nizels a few years ago to score 91 points in a “best 2 from 4” tournament for society organisers. We sat back over our beers discussing who was going to do the acceptance speech to discover that we didn’t even finish in the top four. The winning team scored 114 points. That’s right. 114 points!!  That’s two 3 pointers on every hole and 6 4 pointers thrown in. They didn’t even get applauded when they collected the trophy although there were a few very audible shouts of “where your f*****g sombreros?” etc.   

Dunno the answer I’m afraid. Just bellyaching. 
  • Options
    The society I'm in we have members who have been 28 handicaps for the last 20 years they occasionally win with a 39 point victory but it's the low 20's who seem to win most they can boom a drive 200+ down the fairway or just off and scramble a par then tell you they have 2 shots on that hole or get a birdie on a par 3 and have 2 shots ...... No-one should have 2 shots on a par 3 it's just wrong 

Despite my last two scores since lockdown eased I usually play to my 18 handicap society wise I play off 14 
  • Options
    Gonna give Bletchingley another go this coming Friday see if I can beat my 101 and be back to A more reasonable 92 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    The society I'm in we have members who have been 28 handicaps for the last 20 years they occasionally win with a 39 point victory but it's the low 20's who seem to win most they can boom a drive 200+ down the fairway or just off and scramble a par then tell you they have 2 shots on that hole or get a birdie on a par 3 and have 2 shots ...... No-one should have 2 shots on a par 3 it's just wrong 

Despite my last two scores since lockdown eased I usually play to my 18 handicap society wise I play off 14 
    As far as I’m concerned no one should ever get two strokes on a hole. Ever. The system is flawed. The game is played over 18 holes. The handicap system in match play gives you shots on individual holes which are only microcosms of the 18. My handicap suggests that I have the skill, temperament Nd course management ability to play a course in seven over par. Within that I might have a number of birdies and bogeys or worse. But over the 18 I know what to do. In match play, I have to cede (or occasionally receive) a shot or two on individual holes which is a massive distortion. As you say, giving some duffer two shots on a 400 yard which I may hit with a drive and a wedge only to see someone trundle two theee woods and a five iron to the fringe, two putt and then say “five net three mate” is soul deystroying. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    magic1999 said:

As far as I’m concerned no one should ever get two strokes on a hole. Ever. The system is flawed. The game is played over 18 holes. The handicap system in match play gives you shots on individual holes which are only microcosms of the 18. My handicap suggests that I have the skill, temperament Nd course management ability to play a course in seven over par. Within that I might have a number of birdies and bogeys or worse. But over the 18 I know what to do. In match play, I have to cede (or occasionally receive) a shot or two on individual holes which is a massive distortion. As you say, giving some duffer two shots on a 400 yard which I may hit with a drive and a wedge only to see someone trundle two theee woods and a five iron to the fringe, two putt and then say “five net three mate” is soul deystroying. 

Agreed - maximum handicap in match play should be 18. I've no problem with it being more than that for medal play or 18 hole stableford.
    That said, I only play for fun now with my sons or mates. Our Spain society only ever play scramble!
  • Options
    True men don’t win society days. Your average winner is cockney red type person.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    magic1999 said:

Agreed - maximum handicap in match play should be 18. I've no problem with it being more than that for medal play or 18 hole stableford.
    That said, I only play for fun now with my sons or mates. Our Spain society only ever play scramble!
    I thought in matchplay its 3/4 of the difference. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    magic1999 said:

I thought in matchplay its 3/4 of the difference. 
    Nope. Got changed a few years ago to 90% and I believe there is a plan to make it 100%. I stopped entering the club singles match play event when it went to 90% as I was wasting my time. I still play the pairs match play as it’s great fun. 
  • Options
    Sollydog said:
    Horam today for me, and Littlestone Warren and Lydd next week.
    Quite like Horam. Only played it the once but seemed a decent 9 holer.

Played Lydd a number of times. Beware of the water.......and swan shit. Not bad course for the cost & often did 36 holes in a day there.
    Played Horam on Friday,  Greens were ok, but  the rest of the course needs a bit of TLC. But great to be out playing again.

Agree about Lydd, my son played it on Thursday, said it was in fantastic nick - playing Cooden on Friday. 

Happy Days
  • Options
    It is soul destroying to an extent but as Bob said I only play for fun society wise I do tend to come away with Longest drive or nearest the pin in 2 (which some members hmm I wonder which ones want to scrap) but overall it's me btw my mind and the course and meeting some friends for a few hours away from the house 
  • Options

Agree Bob.  Although even the stableford scores are now distorted. We had someone win a prestigious  comp last year with 49 points. Joined the club having only played society golf for years, got an 18 handicap. Within three months of playing twice a week he’s now off 9. Lovely fellah and was quite embarrassed about it. But there are regular 45 point winners.  Now don’t get me wrong, we all have our daft days where everything goes in but I’m still of the view that to play to your handicap (36 points) you’ve had a good day, on a fantastic day when you hole a few putts and don’t screw up you might get 38 or 39. 40, 41 or 42 is a once a year maximum crazy round. More than that is a sham, and off a single figure handicap should be virtually impossible. 
  • Options
    Sollydog said:
    Sollydog said:

Played Lydd a number of times. Beware of the water.......and swan shit. Not bad course for the cost & often did 36 holes in a day there.
    Played Horam on Friday,  Greens were ok, but  the rest of the course needs a bit of TLC. But great to be out playing again.

Agree about Lydd, my son played it on Thursday, said it was in fantastic nick - playing Cooden on Friday. 

Happy Days
    My parents live about a 10 min walk from Cooden Beach GC. Played it a few times. Lovely course imo. 
  • Options
    Sollydog said:
    Sollydog said:

Happy Days
    My parents live about a 10 min walk from Cooden Beach GC. Played it a few times. Lovely course imo. 
    Agreed.  Cooden Beach is a lovely course and very interesting to play. Lots of changes of direction. The wind is a factor. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Agree Bob.  Although even the stableford scores are now distorted. We had someone win a prestigious  comp last year with 49 points. Joined the club having only played society golf for years, got an 18 handicap. Within three months of playing twice a week he’s now off 9. Lovely fellah and was quite embarrassed about it. But there are regular 45 point winners.  Now don’t get me wrong, we all have our daft days where everything goes in but I’m still of the view that to play to your handicap (36 points) you’ve had a good day, on a fantastic day when you hole a few putts and don’t screw up you might get 38 or 39. 40, 41 or 42 is a once a year maximum crazy round. More than that is a sham, and off a single figure handicap should be virtually impossible. 

I've got no problem with somebody playing off 28 if they are just a social hacker out for some fun. A genuine 28 handicapper would not in their life get 49 points in a round - they would be doing well to get 25 points.
    I've been there though, someone playing off 22 hitting an arrow straight drive 300 yards down the first, stroke index 3. You think 'ok everyone is going to connect at some point' - but then his approach is to the heart of the green and lips out for a birdie. 4 for 4 - feck off! Especially when the same thing happens on the 2nd!
    It goes against all that is good in the game - integrity.
  • Options
    This has taught me I take golf a lot less seriously than others!
  • Options
    I Play off 20 and my last 10 round probably consist of one 40 couple low 30s and the rest between 18 and 30 points 
    genuinely erratic and shit .