Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    I am told that Red Libbetts have been fined £20k for allowing four balls and opening the bar against the guidance. 
    As a member and currently playing 3 times a week I can categorically confirm that the bar has been shut and that Booking and tee offs are in two balls only. However there has been instances of groups of two joining up once out on the course but can’t believe that would warrant such a fine. I call bullshit!
  • Options
    We start 3 and 4 balls from Monday.   That's the end of 2 1/2 hour rounds!
  • Options
    Playing tomorrow and Friday - can't wait! 
    How did it go ? 🙄
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    We start 3 and 4 balls from Monday.   That's the end of 2 1/2 hour rounds!
    Maybe that’s been key to your current good form. It’s all down hill from here my friend😉
  • Options
    Four over after 14 today in a club medal comp.
    Treble bogey, bogey, treble, treble finish. 
    The run is finished!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The run is finished!
    Nah. Typical bandit behaviour. Bugger up the last few holes to protect handicap. 😉
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    The run is finished!
    He is human !
  • Options
    Played Pedham today nice nick v windy. 

Only downside is the amount of pikeys you get around there, racing bikes around the car park etc 
    on the way home went via Meopham and saw 4 lads on quad bikes attacking a single bloke on his own I shouted and pulled over they rode off and asked the guy if okay he said he clipped one of there quads as they were driving dangerously pulled in to apologise and was attacked - other than that a nice day shot 97
  • Options
    Have really liked the 2 balls shame it’s had to send really 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played twice over the weekend, both times on the West Course at Sundridge Park.

Saturday I didn't play well at all but kept managing to dig out scores without hitting the ball that nicely at all, 1 blob and scored 34.

Sunday I played so much better although I blobbed 3 holes, scored 36 points but struck the ball really nicely. 

Funny old game.
  • Options
    Ball striking and good scoring don’t always go hand in hand whereas bad ball striking will usually result in a poor score.  I’m very score oriented but a poor score is more bearable if you feel you’ve been striking it well
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Ball striking and good scoring don’t always go hand in hand whereas bad ball striking will usually result in a poor score.  I’m very score oriented but a poor score is more bearable if you feel you’ve been striking it well
    So true. We all know when we've hit a good shot.....the sound & feel of the ball off the club. The more you hit of those the better you feel about the game. Sometimes the putter might be cold & you can't hole a thing.....turning a 4 into a 5 or even a 6. 
  • Options
    Played twice over the weekend, both times on the West Course at Sundridge Park.

Saturday I didn't play well at all but kept managing to dig out scores without hitting the ball that nicely at all, 1 blob and scored 34.

Sunday I played so much better although I blobbed 3 holes, scored 36 points but struck the ball really nicely. 

Funny old game.
    Only played Sundridge once. Pairs competition that my partner didn't turn up to. I remember halving a par 3 where I hit my tee shot into the water. Dropped out & got up & down for a 4. Opposition couldn't do any better. 
  • Options
    Getting a bit better now. 37 Pts (78 gross). Still 2 trebles and 2 doubles though, lack of concentration on tee shots.
  • Options
    All booked for a Sunday afternoon at Littlestone Warren before I book up the Championship course in a week or 2 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    All booked for a Sunday afternoon at Littlestone Warren before I book up the Championship course in a week or 2 
    I 'll be there on Tuesday..good luck 
  • Options
    Booked in Monday for 9 hole at Poult Wood, ease my way back in. I have only just got a car as was without for 4 weeks otherwise would have booked in sooner. Normally get around 48 (par 3's bar one par4) on average so anything under 50 will be a bonus first round of the year. 
  • Options
    after complaining to parkwood this is the response - shame people behave in this manner and disrespect staff. only saw the email this morning it was after bank holiday monday on which was the day i had complained. 

Thank you for your email and first of all may I say that I am sorry that you experienced people breaking the rules. I fully appreciate the disappointment you must feel.

I was the golf operations on duty that day. I too was very disappointed and angry at the behaviour we saw. First of all we do see some golfers grouping together into 3 balls after they leave the 1st tee despite telling them that they must stay as a two ball - they all know this is the rule as they are booked in as two balls and three balls are not allowed. Legally they can play as a three if they are from the same household. However this is impossible to police unless we know them and so we have a policy that all visitors and members must play as a two ball. The golf course is very large and we find it difficult to police the course - we however hope that grown men and women who have been told again and again can keep to the rules. 

We have also found people drinking in the car park and round the corner where they cannot be seen. We have signs indicating that people must leave as soon as possible after their round but once again some people just do not wish to keep to the rules. The group on the patio were told repeated by myself and they would not listen and as you say started bringing drinks for themselves which is strictly not allowed. I escalated this to my manager on the day and he spoke to them directly and advised them to leave the premise immediately - which they fortunately did. 

Since then, my team and I have had a debrief of this incident. We have put up more posters, advising everybody on checking in that they must stay as a two and leave the premise asap and also have posters indicating that we WILL call the police if they are found not abiding by our rules. We have also spoke to the England Golf Union who looks after us. She informs us that many golf clubs are experiencing similar issues - we reviewed our protocol and she was happy with the system we had put in place. We just need everybody to follow rules and take this more seriously.

I take this opportunity to once again apologise for what you felt. Please believe us that we are doing our very best. We hope that our posters and further communications will prevent similar situations recurring and really hope that our customers will also understand that the responsibility to fight this virus lies on all of us. 

Kind Regards

• Options
    Played Shoreham / Darrenth Valley / The Darrenth (whatever it’s called now) on Monday, in really good condition and well worth the £15 for twilight 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played Shoreham / Darrenth Valley / The Darrenth (whatever it’s called now) on Monday, in really good condition and well worth the £15 for twilight 
    Always used to think some holes were a bit samey back in the day but was pleasantly suprised last time I played there 
  • Options
    Went up sidcup world of golf today to try out the tracer bays bit of a joke it’s £10 for 100 balls and only a handful of screens work 
  • Options
    Was hoping to get 9 holes in at Pedham, but the weather quashed that idea so ended up on the range. Played some holes on the ball tracker game they have. For a first outing in forever I was surprisingly good at everything over 150 yards, ok at 60-150 and atrocious at the short stuff. Looks I know what I'll be practicing next range session
  • Options
    Went up sidcup world of golf today to try out the tracer bays bit of a joke it’s £10 for 100 balls and only a handful of screens work 
    Boris said it would be world beating.
  • Options
    Went today, first time in a while maybe 1 or 2 games earlier in the year. Took it easy did the 9 hole at Poult Wood, started with a dodgy hit that felt really awkward so got a 6, next hole and the 3rd rather than full hit a 7/8 i used my driver slow swing, just off the green and next one on the green. got 3 pars in a row, and a 5 on the par 4. Played quite well , striking the ball well and expecting the worse. 
    Hole 8 i shanked the tee, first time so again feared the worse but a good recovery and made a 4 still, the final hole i got another 6 and mate got a 4 to beat me by 1, my joint PB 38 though (10 over) which i was pleased with, although an easy course but very happy with it.

Going again next week, again not hopeful i will score that well again. 

• Options
    Anyone got some suggestions as to a good 9 hole other than Lullingstone?

Been to Pedham which is fun, Birchwood which was dull as dishwater and not well kept. 

Not played all that much golf but keen to get into it, especially as my stepson seems to be enjoying it.

Ideally looking for something a bit more challenging than Pedham but different to Lullingstone which is where I've played 90% of my golf.
  • Options

Been to Pedham which is fun, Birchwood which was dull as dishwater and not well kept. 

Not played all that much golf but keen to get into it, especially as my stepson seems to be enjoying it.

Ideally looking for something a bit more challenging than Pedham but different to Lullingstone which is where I've played 90% of my golf.
    You can do 9 holes at Darenth Valley on their 18 course , you just do the front 9 , or at least you used to be able to, try ringing.
  • Options
    Is there still a 9 at magpie hall ? 
  • Options

Bit further out but Leeds Castle is decent (or was last time I played there many moons ago) and quite a tricky challenge.
    Views are spectacular, of course.
  • Options

I'm assuming too far, but Hever Castle is a good 9hole, challenging, basically half an 18 eg. Par 4's mainly a couple par 3's and a 5.  a couple of water holes which are awkward means you need to be accurate and one of them about 160 yards to go over it. Recommend it highly, i normally play Pould wood to get back into it then move onto the 9 at hever so i can get an idea before going the full 18