Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Barnehurst
    Bexleyheath 
    Thamesmead
    Cray Valley
    Ruxley

Not saying that any of them are any good mind.
  • Options
    Hever princes I suggest playing when it’s dry that part of the course does not drain well

Barnehurst improved last year the greens were really bad but improved 

don’t think Thamesmead is still there but 

cray valley 9 avoid like the plague 

never played Eltham Warren or Sidcup but meant to be ok 

bexleyheath looks good the same as shooters hill but never played them 
  • Options
    Further afield Littlestone Warren is a lovely course you just need to be straight if it goes I. The rough just play another 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Further afield Littlestone Warren is a lovely course you just need to be straight if it goes I. The rough just play another 
    Agree played there yesterday...shot 87
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Played Chartham Park, East Grinstead a couple evenings ago. Tee off time was 5.16 - got all 18 in. £25 for a twilight but the fairways were completely 'gone'. The fairways were almost bald. Greens were spotless. I dont know whats happened there but usually that course is in good nick. I'd be fuming if i was a member there. 

Got 30 points. Some useless drives and a couple 3 putts (most annoying thing in sport) prevented me from a decent score. Loved being back out there. Hever 9 hole on Sunday morn. Lovely 9 hole that i fully recommend.
  • Options
    Find myself having a coffee watching a bit of golf, Charles Schwab challenge from colonial is the first event back, is it to soon? Don't know, but it's good to watch something live. 
  • Options
    They'll have to start some time whilst the virus is present, but it feels early to be going to Texas, South Carolina, Connecticut, then Detroit. That's a lot of miles, and Covid numbers aren't falling in some states.

Concentrating it in one area would have been safer, but then the PGA Tour has more sponsors to appease. The one-day Ladies events here should be fun, I don't usually watch women's golf but I can't not watch Brockenhurst Manor. Hopefully we see some wildlife on the course.

• Options
    Look out for Charley Hull RP, friend of ours 👍
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    They'll have to start some time whilst the virus is present, but it feels early to be going to Texas, South Carolina, Connecticut, then Detroit. That's a lot of miles, and Covid numbers aren't falling in some states.

Concentrating it in one area would have been safer, but then the PGA Tour has more sponsors to appease. The one-day Ladies events here should be fun, I don't usually watch women's golf but I can't not watch Brockenhurst Manor. Hopefully we see some wildlife on the course.

Texas has one of the biggest recorded cases of Covid in the whole of America. The others are New York & California. 
  • Options
    Watching the live golf on telly last night. Not much evidence of social distancing. Players, caddies and assorted officials and extras seem to be wandering around pretty much as normal. And a couple of audible corporate/membership hospitality units in full swing by the sound of things. Nice to watch golf without the “mashed potato/get in the hole” wankers though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching the live golf on telly last night. Not much evidence of social distancing. Players, caddies and assorted officials and extras seem to be wandering around pretty much as normal. And a couple of audible corporate/membership hospitality units in full swing by the sound of things. Nice to watch golf without the “mashed potato/get in the hole” wankers though. 
    Hard for caddies to remain 6ft from the player. Don't worry though, I'm sure players & caddies are sharing accommodation & living as a family.
  • Options
    Had an indifferent day at bletchingley shot a 96 some fantastic stuff but still silly mistakes .... As we finished 15:30 a certain Lyle Taylor was on the practice green 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Net 67 last week and net 69 yesterday (Par 70).   Down to 8.

Had a lesson today.  Not sure that was a good idea!
  • Options
    Played North Downs today. What a cracking course.  First game for a year second game in 3 years I think.  32 points playing off 22 so happy with that
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Is there still a 9 at magpie hall ? 
    Yes there is
  • Options
    Everyone seems too good on here so i'll level it down somewhat, went 9 holes Poult Wood yesterday really struggled 43 (15 +) on an easy course, just wasn't striking well from the tee at all. Half way through i was doing without tees and was hitting it a bit better. 

Next week might be doing 18, probably a bit rushed but  sometimes its good to chuck in the deep end. Happy with anything below 110 normally, thats the aim but could be alot higher too will be fun depends on the day. 
  • Options
    problem with golf is it looks so easy to play but its not and people expect to be really good straight away. 
  • Options
    problem with golf is it looks so easy to play but its not and people expect to be really good straight away. 
    Bang on, i used to get lessons when i was like 6-8, have videos of me being very good (mum used to work in golf club), gave up to play snooker/pool and then played again 18, every so often so never really enough to get good again. Think i can hit a score sub 100 but generally expect 115+ most rounds as i dont play enough. 

Yesterday i really struggled with my stance and just couldn't get any rhythm, week before it was like second nature
  • Options
    It’s an beautifully frustrating game. Played on Saturday and didn’t have one bad connection the whole round. Payed last night and didn’t hit one single shot as well as I did on Saturday.

In my mind I was gripping and swinging exactly the same but obviously wasn’t doing something right.

In awe at people who stay consistent when playing this game. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    It’s an beautifully frustrating game. Played on Saturday and didn’t have one bad connection the whole round. Payed last night and didn’t hit one single shot as well as I did on Saturday.

In my mind I was gripping and swinging exactly the same but obviously wasn’t doing something right.

I always find that, some days it just doesn't feel right. Or in my case my swing is way off line and i cant really alter it so i know i need to be very lucky to hit a sweet shot. Even when its going well sometimes its short game / or off the tees, so much hard work sometimes. I personally think i need to get some lessons again really, have no faith in my swing at all, although i can still make pars/birdies and hit the odd shot. I haven't had lessons since i was like a junior <10
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This. I played 3 times this weekend just gone. Saturday I was 7 over through 9 holes which included a triple bogey! I was striking the ball so well. Finished the round with 42 points. Was ready to break it to my girlfriend that I might be ready for the tour and to get prepared for life without me. 

Went out Sunday and was 16 over after 9 and finished up with 22 points hardly hitting a good shot all day. 

As you say, in my head I wasn't doing anything differently. So frustrating! Having a few days off and then playing again Thursday and Friday.
  • Options
    Congratulations @Redvalleyeast

• Options
    Hit my 1st ever hole in one today! 134 yard par 3 at Pedham with a 9 iron. Played in a 4 ball so plenty witnessed it,alas,the bar is shut😂👍
    Hit my 1st ever hole in one today! 134 yard par 3 at Pedham with a 9 iron. Played in a 4 ball so plenty witnessed it,alas,the bar is shut😂👍
    Well done Redvalley, i witnessed one before my mates ex came the only time she did and hit hit one, i went more crazy then he did :smiley: a few near misses but im sure ill get there
  • Options
    Cheers👍 Cant lie, it was great watching the ball pitch,roll and drop into the hole. In nearly 30 years of playing ive had a few near misses,hit the pin etc but that was my first ace. I was in a 4 ball, there was a 2 ball just walked off the green and a 3 ball waiting behind us so plenty witnessed my moment of glory😂👌
  • Options
    Congrats @Redvalleyeast
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Congrats @Redvalleyeast , only had two of them in the last round 

• Options
    Anyone got some suggestions as to a good 9 hole other than Lullingstone?

Been to Pedham which is fun, Birchwood which was dull as dishwater and not well kept. 

Not played all that much golf but keen to get into it, especially as my stepson seems to be enjoying it.

Ideally looking for something a bit more challenging than Pedham but different to Lullingstone which is where I've played 90% of my golf.
    I'm assuming too far, but Hever Castle is a good 9hole, challenging, basically half an 18 eg. Par 4's mainly a couple par 3's and a 5.  a couple of water holes which are awkward means you need to be accurate and one of them about 160 yards to go over it. Recommend it highly, i normally play Pould wood to get back into it then move onto the 9 at hever so i can get an idea before going the full 18
    Played the 9 hole Princes Course Sunday - loved it. Thanks for the suggestion @johnnybev1987
  • Options
    a few years back played a course in Bermuda when visiting a friend who worked there.

Play had backed up a bit and we were waiting for group ahead of us to play a par 3 and watched as a guy hit a hole in one. I then stepped up on our go and hit the ball to literally within 1 inch of a hole in one as well.

strange thing was, the club was doing a nearest the pin comp that day on the that hole and my friend who was a member there had a voucher sent to him, as my shot won the nearest the pin comp as holes in one were not valid !!