Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    My drive landed near a swan and her chicks there once ..I didn't bother getting my ball ..agree it's a nice course expect the rough is head high this time of year 
  • Options

Net 68 today in the midweek medal.   Should be down to 7.8.

I AM trying! :-)

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Taken the game up again. 
    Played 6/7 rounds with numerous range time and not getting any better at all! Topping & slicing right are main problems mixed in with some decent straight hits. Feel like complete amateur. 
    V frustrating. 
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Taken the game up again. 
    Played 6/7 rounds with numerous range time and not getting any better at all! Topping & slicing right are main problems mixed in with some decent straight hits. Feel like complete amateur. 
    V frustrating. 
    My biggest fault is the slice. I have (sort of) corrected it by slowing down the swing speed & not trying to hit the cover off the ball. I may lose 20/30 yards off my drives but they mostly go straight now, whereas they used to arc to the right & end up in the rough, trees or OOB.
  • Options
    iamdan said:
    Taken the game up again. 
    V frustrating. 
    My biggest fault is the slice. I have (sort of) corrected it by slowing down the swing speed & not trying to hit the cover off the ball. I may lose 20/30 yards off my drives but they mostly go straight now, whereas they used to arc to the right & end up in the rough, trees or OOB.
    You've mitigated it, but haven't corrected it - you are still swinging out to in and that is easily corrected. You are also losing distance unnecessarily.
    Mate of mine mitigates his slice. He's a leftie and on one society do we had a starter who was explaining the best shot was up the left hand side of the fairway to give access to the green which was a dog-leg right. He aimed 45 degrees right and was about to start his swing when the starter shouted, "wait, you're going in the wrong direction". To which my mate said "no mate, watch this" and his normal banana shot left the ball in the middle of the fairway!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    bobmunro said:
    iamdan said:
    Taken the game up again. 
    V frustrating. 
    You've mitigated it, but haven't corrected it - you are still swinging out to in and that is easily corrected. You are also losing distance unnecessarily.
    Mate of mine mitigates his slice. He's a leftie and on one society do we had a starter who was explaining the best shot was up the left hand side of the fairway to give access to the green which was a dog-leg right. He aimed 45 degrees right and was about to start his swing when the starter shouted, "wait, you're going in the wrong direction". To which my mate said "no mate, watch this" and his normal banana shot left the ball in the middle of the fairway!
    This is how my mate plays, massive fade to the right. half the time aims so far left but then naturally comes round. 

Went poult wood yesterday, it was so hot and also i was pretty poor. only a couple of pars, but with a couple 10's/9's , really couldn't get anything going. I knew what i was doing wrong, kept trying to overhit clubs which is always bad then trying to correct and alter my swing every shot didn't really help. Last few holes was a bit more consistent when i decided not to focus too much. 

Proper shattered and wasn't the best, 127, front 9 of bloody 69 lol but score is irrelevant just need to keep plugging away and get a bit of confidence. Putted well yesterday but even the rest of my short game was hit n miss, also anytime it was remotely in some grass i wasn't hitting through it.
  • Options
    I played Blackheath yesterday, got to say I was really disappointed with the state of the course, tee boxes and fairways were in terrible nick and the greens were really inconsistent. It’s a shame as it has potential to be really nice there.

On my own personal game I feel that I’m regressing a bit, I’ve moved to the white tees and it’s coincided with my drive (which was a reliably strong part of my game) completely deserting me. I’ve booked a lesson next week to try and work out why.

A bit demoralising as I was playing fairly well but now I always seem to be in trouble off the tee and then chasing a hole. 

Stupid game, played by idiots.
  • Options
    Played Cray Valley yesterday evening.

Gone back to being really crap again. Started off losing my putting, then the short game, and then my driving went.

I know it was all in my head as well!

47 which I know I can massively improve on.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    iamdan said:
    Taken the game up again. 
    V frustrating. 
    This is how my mate plays, massive fade to the right. half the time aims so far left but then naturally comes round. 

Went poult wood yesterday, it was so hot and also i was pretty poor. only a couple of pars, but with a couple 10's/9's , really couldn't get anything going. I knew what i was doing wrong, kept trying to overhit clubs which is always bad then trying to correct and alter my swing every shot didn't really help. Last few holes was a bit more consistent when i decided not to focus too much. 

Proper shattered and wasn't the best, 127, front 9 of bloody 69 lol but score is irrelevant just need to keep plugging away and get a bit of confidence. Putted well yesterday but even the rest of my short game was hit n miss, also anytime it was remotely in some grass i wasn't hitting through it.
    Had one of my best ever rounds around Poult  Wood & ended up winning The Old Bexlians Trophy. 2002 I think it was.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    iamdan said:
    Taken the game up again. 
    V frustrating. 

Had one of my best ever rounds around Poult  Wood & ended up winning The Old Bexlians Trophy. 2002 I think it was.
    Nice, well done! lovely course, also not that tricky hence why my score is awful. But one of those hopefully i can learn from lol 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    any recommendations for lessons?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    any recommendations for lessons?
    Paul Page at his little golf centre off Princes road  next to Dartford football club. 

Paul was a brilliant amateur and played in the Walker Cup in the early nineties. In his singles match he beat a young up and coming American who went on to have a decent career. Tiger something or other. 

Paul is a good teacher who is able to translate all the gobbledygook into words you can understand. Unlike a lot of teaching pros who just hit you with jargon. If I go for a lesson I don’t want to be told how to swing like Tommy Fleetwood. I just need to know what I’m doing this week that I wasn’t doing last week when I was playing well. Google Paul Page Golf centre. 
  • Options
    7.8 confirmed.   Finished 4th.   Some bandit shot a net 63.   And you think I'm bad!!
  • Options
    Not played for 4 years now, sold my powakaddy last weekend and nearly let my pings go for stupid money. Instead I’ve decided to have a round at upchurch with my son in law or anyone else that’ll invite me along before deciding to retire the clubs. Having Osteoarthritis in one hand and both wrists now I’m not sure I’ll last 18 holes but there’s only one way to find out. My problem will be gripping the club and hanging onto it after the shot. Reading this has certainly made me want to get out again, interesting reading about dartford gc who had a go at a member of our society who turned out in a LFB polo shirt quoting the dress code. So next year we all made a effort!
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Not played for 4 years now, sold my powakaddy last weekend and nearly let my pings go for stupid money. Instead I’ve decided to have a round at upchurch with my son in law or anyone else that’ll invite me along before deciding to retire the clubs. Having Osteoarthritis in one hand and both wrists now I’m not sure I’ll last 18 holes but there’s only one way to find out. My problem will be gripping the club and hanging onto it after the shot. Reading this has certainly made me want to get out again, interesting reading about dartford gc who had a go at a member of our society who turned out in a LFB polo shirt quoting the dress code. So next year we all made a effort!
    Bon pantalons mon ami!!!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    7.8 confirmed.   Finished 4th.   Some bandit shot a net 63.   And you think I'm bad!!
    Welcome to my world mate. You’ll never win again but the sense of achievement will be yours forever. Take a printout of your handicap certificate just in case it’s the lowest you’ll ever be. 
  • Options
    9 of us playing chislehurst tomorrow in 3, 3 balls. Forecast looked shocking 24 hours ago but has cleared up thankfully. Big ol’ drink in the car park afterwards. In other news, Local pubs the bulls head and the Bickley have announced they’re not reopening till 20 July 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    Welcome to my world mate. You’ll never win again but the sense of achievement will be yours forever. Take a printout of your handicap certificate just in case it’s the lowest you’ll ever be. 
    Problem is I've been 7.3 so some way to go still !
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    Problem is I've been 7.3 so some way to go still !
    I got down to 6.9 last summer before I buggered up my shoulder. Lowest I’d been since I was a teenager. Felt so much sweeter as a fat fifty something than it did as a fearless teenager. 
  • Options
    Single figures in your 50s is very impressive sir

Im loving playing at the moment. Come about just at the right time to be honest. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hit my 1st ever hole in one today! 134 yard par 3 at Pedham with a 9 iron. Played in a 4 ball so plenty witnessed it,alas,the bar is shut😂👍
    Only ever seen a hole in one live once, at Addington Court which is a beginner 9 hole and many years ago now.  Guy in front of us teed off a poor effort to a simple par 3; smacked into a tree and went into the hole!
  • Options
    I played Blackheath yesterday, got to say I was really disappointed with the state of the course, tee boxes and fairways were in terrible nick and the greens were really inconsistent. It’s a shame as it has potential to be really nice there.

On my own personal game I feel that I’m regressing a bit, I’ve moved to the white tees and it’s coincided with my drive (which was a reliably strong part of my game) completely deserting me. I’ve booked a lesson next week to try and work out why.

A bit demoralising as I was playing fairly well but now I always seem to be in trouble off the tee and then chasing a hole. 

Stupid game, played by idiots.

So, after this “woe betide me” post yesterday, I got out in the evening and suddenly I remembered how to play again.

Shot 20 over on the West Course at Sundridge and was pretty straight off the tee. There’s still plenty of work to do but the simple things I was doing wrong I’d somehow corrected. 

Looking forward to another round this afternoon now. 

It’s still a stupid game, played by idiots though.
  • Options
    9 of us playing chislehurst tomorrow in 3, 3 balls. Forecast looked shocking 24 hours ago but has cleared up thankfully. Big ol’ drink in the car park afterwards. In other news, Local pubs the bulls head and the Bickley have announced they’re not reopening till 20 July 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
    The Ramblers rest was doing take away beers, could just sit outside there...
  • Options
    The Ramblers rest was doing take away beers, could just sit outside there...
    Thanks mate
  • Options
    Played Chislehurst yesterday evening. Course Was good and greens in good nick. Beer cart was very welcome.
  • Options
    Played a twilight round at Park Wood in Tatsfield. First time playing at this course and I thought it was alright. Would play there again. Shot a 98. Driving was a little wild but improved massively on my approach shots, around the green and my putting. Quite pleased with 98 for a novice at a new course. 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Played a twilight round at Park Wood in Tatsfield. First time playing at this course and I thought it was alright. Would play there again. Shot a 98. Driving was a little wild but improved massively on my approach shots, around the green and my putting. Quite pleased with 98 for a novice at a new course. 
    YOu beat my last score there @Dizzle and I’ve been playing for 30yrs!

I’m teeing off in an hour and it’s currently smashing it down :-(
  • Options
    How did it go @stop_shouting ?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I am told that Red Libbetts have been fined £20k for allowing four balls and opening the bar against the guidance. 
    As a member and currently playing 3 times a week I can categorically confirm that the bar has been shut and that Booking and tee offs are in two balls only. However there has been instances of groups of two joining up once out on the course but can’t believe that would warrant such a fine. I call bullshit!
    For one reason or another I have had a fair bit of contact in recent days with the authorities and I am happy to put the record straight here @Taxi_Lad. The £20k fine is indeed a myth that was quickly perpetuated among neighbouring club members. As usual with these things the myth grew legs and body parts as it spread. Red Libbits did indeed receive a “visit” from England Golf and were given a few pointers which they immediately addressed.  My apologies for helping to spread the myth. 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Played the academy course at The Cave at Boughton-under-Blean, between Canter and Faversham. Nice little course, greens were fast despite the damp weather. Little bit blustery, but enjoyable. What would have been a decent round was ruined by two holes, one of whilst involved a Hamlet ad like visit to a bunker

p.s. from what I could see, their 18 hole course looks excellent too