Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

1…5859606163

Comments

  • AFKABartram
    AFKABartram Posts: 59,399
    RedPanda said:
    Sounds epic mate, add some photos 
    Your Carnoustie trip must be soon? 
    This week. Stupidly excited.

    unsurprisingly, rain and wind  forecast :-(
  • Shag
    Shag Posts: 4,611
    @stackitsteve I was the fella in the Charlton golf top you met on the first tee at San Antonio!
  • stackitsteve
    stackitsteve Posts: 12,336
    Shag said:
    @stackitsteve I was the fella in the Charlton golf top you met on the first tee at San Antonio!
    Yeah, I was just heading over to the coincidences thread
  • O-Randy-Hunt
    O-Randy-Hunt Posts: 11,980
    Cornelia Golf Club - Belek. Early morning 9 Hole.

  • CAFCBourne
    CAFCBourne Posts: 3,897
    That's where they hold Turkish open is it not?

    Played the International at the London Friday shot 88 playing best netting 43 point in the process. One very happy birthday round
  • O-Randy-Hunt
    O-Randy-Hunt Posts: 11,980
    Just googled it and it says it's at the national which is a 15 minute drive from my hotel. I'm off to vilamoura next month with mates for 2 days of golf but have put the feelers out to them to come back to belek in 2027.
  • AFKABartram
    AFKABartram Posts: 59,399
    Playing Sheerness this afternoon. Not played before and always look forward to playing a new course 
  • RedPanda
    RedPanda Posts: 5,115
    Playing Sheerness this afternoon. Not played before and always look forward to playing a new course 
    I've not played there. I'll be interested to know how linksy it is, if at all.

    How did your Carnoustie trip go?
  • Taxi_Lad
    Taxi_Lad Posts: 3,933
    Cornelia Golf Club - Belek. Early morning 9 Hole.

    Played it last year👍🏻
  • CAFCBourne
    CAFCBourne Posts: 3,897
    Playing Sheerness this afternoon. Not played before and always look forward to playing a new course 
    What did you make of it? Fairly open. Good course for all year though drainage is excellent

  • Sponsored links:



  • mascot88
    mascot88 Posts: 10,306
    edited June 22
    Ive been playing golf for about 2 years now and absolutely loving it!

    Been playing some great Courses here in Melbourne on the sandbelt and Up in Qld where a mate of mine lives. 

    Hit my best score of 91 at Sandy Links which was the old home course of Geoff Olgilvy, winner of the 2006 US Open. 

    Im playing 18 holes once a month since my  Baby was born, playing again on Sunday. 

    Here's a vid to get a feel for it - I must say, it's fantastic. 

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQ6Zpk26kw&t=77s

  • I have been playing golf for 50+ years and am totally shite at it but still keep going back for more.
    Why?
    The divot goes further than the ball......
    Played last week and I reckon I was no better than when I first started.
    Can't blame getting old - I've always been shite.
    But I think it was Ronnie Corbett who said "as I get older, I get fatter, so when I put the ball where I can see it - I can't hit it, and when I put the ball where I can hit it - I can't see it"!
    Ah-well. I will keep trying........
  • O-Randy-Hunt
    O-Randy-Hunt Posts: 11,980
    Played Laguna is Vilamoura yesterday. Lost a shit ton of balls in the water and struggled. Playing millenium today so less water thankyou please.
  • meldrew66
    meldrew66 Posts: 2,617
    I’m up for a ‘CharltonLifers’ golf day if others fancy it. Orpington based here so Chelsfield and Lullingstone are my nearest public courses but open to suggestions. Been playing for 40+ years but still a 20 handicapper as only play about 4-6 times each year.
  • Sword65pf
    Sword65pf Posts: 2,957
    meldrew66 said:
    I’m up for a ‘CharltonLifers’ golf day if others fancy it. Orpington based here so Chelsfield and Lullingstone are my nearest public courses but open to suggestions. Been playing for 40+ years but still a 20 handicapper as only play about 4-6 times each year.
    It’s been mentioned before, but nobody seems to get on board with it.
  • Dippenhall
    Dippenhall Posts: 3,940
    If you watch Youtube golf videos you'll enjoy this one.  My grandson paired up with Nick Voke and Luke Kwon for 9 holes after a not very well acted out "chance" meeting.

    https://youtu.be/ZEB1VfhBXvc?si=IMlh-s08JdTQ7v4Z
  • golfaddick
    golfaddick Posts: 36,888
    I watched a great golf video on youtube last week about a special golf day over Princes, St Georges and Cinque Ports. 54 holes to commemorate when Walter Hagen came over from the US to play the Open and did the same holes over a composite course.

    Really good video & shot very recently. I've played all 3 courses & would have loved to have had a crack at this event. 
  • ValleyGary
    ValleyGary Posts: 38,896
    Not sure if mentioned but my mates a Charlton fan and has his own Instagram golf account. 

  • palarsehater
    palarsehater Posts: 12,508
    Great bloke is Tommy @ValleyGary I would say we have quite a few mutual mates. 
  • Elthamaddick
    Elthamaddick Posts: 16,636
    Not sure if mentioned but my mates a Charlton fan and has his own Instagram golf account. 

    I follow that fella, good account

  • Sponsored links:



  • Elthamaddick
    Elthamaddick Posts: 16,636
    meldrew66 said:
    I’m up for a ‘CharltonLifers’ golf day if others fancy it. Orpington based here so Chelsfield and Lullingstone are my nearest public courses but open to suggestions. Been playing for 40+ years but still a 20 handicapper as only play about 4-6 times each year.
    I remember the last one at Birchwood - still got my CharltonLife polo shirt somewhere
  • O-Randy-Hunt
    O-Randy-Hunt Posts: 11,980
    Great bloke is Tommy @ValleyGary I would say we have quite a few mutual mates. 
    Does he have a brother called Joe.
  • palarsehater
    palarsehater Posts: 12,508
    Great bloke is Tommy @ValleyGary I would say we have quite a few mutual mates. 
    Does he have a brother called Joe.
    Yeah and his dad is Paul 
  • ValleyGary
    ValleyGary Posts: 38,896
    Great bloke is Tommy @ValleyGary I would say we have quite a few mutual mates. 
    Yeah more than likely mate. Played football with Tommy, good player.
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,552
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  
  • bobmunro
    bobmunro Posts: 22,133
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  

    6 Months??
    I've been playing golf for well over 50 years and I'm still not very good!
  • JohnBoyUK
    JohnBoyUK Posts: 9,552
    bobmunro said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  

    6 Months??
    I've been playing golf for well over 50 years and I'm still not very good!
    Yeah, I didn't particularly enjoy it in all truth.  Tried it, didn't like it, moved on.
  • golfaddick
    golfaddick Posts: 36,888
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  
    I saw Rob Beckett on Sky yesterday when they showed the Pro-Am from Wentworth. He came over as very knowledgeable and highly entertaining around golf. 

    Also, if anyone else watched the coverage of yesterday I don't know if you were surprised as me to find than Anton Du Beke is a scratch golfer (actually plays off +0.4) and is a member at Wentworth. 

    As for Cherry Lodge. Played it a few times over the years, notably when there was a burnt out car behind a par 3 on the back 9. Good track but not played it in years. 
  • bobmunro
    bobmunro Posts: 22,133
    JohnBoyUK said:
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  
    I saw Rob Beckett on Sky yesterday when they showed the Pro-Am from Wentworth. He came over as very knowledgeable and highly entertaining around golf. 

    Also, if anyone else watched the coverage of yesterday I don't know if you were surprised as me to find than Anton Du Beke is a scratch golfer (actually plays off +0.4) and is a member at Wentworth. 

    As for Cherry Lodge. Played it a few times over the years, notably when there was a burnt out car behind a par 3 on the back 9. Good track but not played it in years. 
    Free relief from an immovable object I hope.

  • JohnBoyUK said:
    I don't play golf at all, well I tried about 15 years ago for about 6 months, but I wasn't very good but I've found watching Rob Beckett's Let's Golf You Tube channel compelling viewing.  Especially when he shouts prick at the ball after he mishits it.  I find that quite comforting from my own memories of playing!

    Anyhow, I've found myself walking back and forth up the driveway at Cherry Lodge most days while I wait for my daughters to come out of school, they go to the school opposite the entrance.  Does anyone play there?  
    I saw Rob Beckett on Sky yesterday when they showed the Pro-Am from Wentworth. He came over as very knowledgeable and highly entertaining around golf. 

    Also, if anyone else watched the coverage of yesterday I don't know if you were surprised as me to find than Anton Du Beke is a scratch golfer (actually plays off +0.4) and is a member at Wentworth. 

    As for Cherry Lodge. Played it a few times over the years, notably when there was a burnt out car behind a par 3 on the back 9. Good track but not played it in years. 
    mate of mine has played with Anton and said he's a top bloke and a pro caddy i know says Michael Macintyre a complete bellend