Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    supaclive said:
    RedPanda said:
    I've been quiet as I've been nursing injury again. Motorcycle crash this time.

Should be okay for Scotland in a couple of weeks, thought it'd be worth mentioning that a lot of Scottish courses have discounted rates to fill spots that would have been bought by Americans.

Royal Aberdeen £125
    Turnberry £200 deals available
    Leven & Lundin £50 each (got these 2 booked)
    The Old Course have been selling guaranteed rounds, no tour company or lottery needed - unheard of
    Nairn I'm told is under £100, it's usually £180
    Western Gailes near Troon has deals

Probably loads more about too, there'll never be a better summer to play in Scotland and you can tell the Mrs you're just doing your bit to help the economy.

PS Loganair fly from City to Dundee now (between Carnoustie & St Andrews), and include 15kg of baggage - no size limit. Easily enough weight for clubs + shoes.
    Playing Siloth on 11th September and then Turnberry Robert Bruce and Aisla on 12th and 13th!

Cannot wait!
    Nice, Siloth does look great value. If there's space I'll play The Old Course twice, which would normally be impossible. 

I think a mix of dear and cheap, tough and short is ideal. No point going all the way to Fife and only visiting Kinghorn and Aberdour. Kingsbarns, Dumbarnie and the like are OTT but there's a lot of value in between. 
  • Options
    Would love to get on the old course. Any tips?
  • Options
    Playing Woldingham tomorrow eve. Im not a huge fan of the course but my mates a member of the altonwood group. 

Its very forgiving and lacks character in my opinion. Always well kept though and has a lovely club house.

• Options
    Usually there's a ballot I think in October for the following summer's tee times. Or you can go through an expensive agency, or there's a nightly ballot to sort remaining spaces 2 days in advance. Last resort is queuing from very early morning for a solo place.

They did release some one-off 2020 packages last week but they appear to have gone now. 
  • Options
    Played it twice. Once when I stayed at the Old Course Hotel & got out around 4pm (mid July) making up a 4-ball with some Americans. Didn't enjoy it as we were pushed all the way round by a Marshall telling us to hurry up as there were a few groups behind us & wanted to make sure we all finished before it got dark. Ruined it for me as whenever a ball couldnt be found straightaway we were told just to drop one out on the fairway & keep going. 

2nd time with my (then) golfing mate. Didnt get in the ballot but were told to turn up early in the morning & would probably get out before any groups. Staying in Dundee we left our B&B at 6.30am so we were at the starters hut by 7am. Went off with a St Andrew's student in a 3-ball. 

PS. Stayed at the Old Course Hotel with my then 1st wife. Unbeknownst to me she was having an affair by thenn & that was the last night we spent together. Went home the next day & the day after she announced she wanted a divorce.

Also, my golfing mate also "split up" with me too !!!  Too long a story & as he is a mad addick I dont want to say too much on here in case he reads it. But I could write a book about our golfing trips & courses played.....as well as why our friendship ended.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Turns out The Old Course isn't allowing solo golfers during Covid, as everything has to be booked & registered in advance. Thought I should say that in case anyone sees my post & does the wrong thing. The ballots are still running but you need 2 people.

Warmed up with a nice 82 at Lullingstone last week so I feel like my trademark queef is ready to tarnish Scotland. I'd forgotten how scenic Lullingstone is.
  • Options
    Played Monday royal black Heath golf club Monday 
    I’m fucking shit playing off 20 got 23 points 
    my mate who plays off 2 got 31 points 
    14 year old son shit like me playing off 31 got 23 points , he played in front with mates sons who are mustard at everything 
    his 12 year old playing off 18 got 36 points 
    his 9 year old playing off 31 got 38 points ffs 
    They played off junior tees small in front of us 

Wednesday played Chigwell 
    26 points playing off 20 
    son playing off 36 scored 28 and the mug give it ffs 

playing Theydon Bois later today a tight course if I get over 25 I’ll be happy 

I should be off 25 really but I won some shitty comps playing off 20 so like to punish myself 

I hate golf but Mrs wants eldest son to get off his lazy arse so been playing with his mates and dads 
  • Options
    chelsfield lakes tomorrow at 9.23 miss the wigan game but so be it. 
  • Options
    14 year old son shit like me playing off 31 got 23 points , he played in front with mates sons who are mustard at everything 

26 points playing off 20 

I should be off 25 really but I won some shitty comps playing off 20 so like to punish myself 

I hate golf but Mrs wants eldest son to get off his lazy arse so been playing with his mates and dads 
    Theydon Bois?! Leave your Driver in the garage.
  • Options

26 points playing off 20 

Played it years ago was tight and not a long course , so yep you’re right 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

26 points playing off 20 

Yes, because you can get the tube.
  • Options

26 points playing off 20 

What is it that means you are only getting just over a point a hole, especially as you are getting a stroke on every hole & 2 on the hardest 2 holes. Wayward drives  ??   poor chipping and/or putting  ?
  • Options
    Played Westerham on Tuesday off the whites,32 points off 14. There was a comp there on Sunday so pins were tricky and greens ridiculously quick,lovely track though.
  • Options

26 points playing off 20 

What is it that means you are only getting just over a point a hole, especially as you are getting a stroke on every hole & 2 on the hardest 2 holes. Wayward drives  ??   poor chipping and/or putting  ?
    No consistency and I’ve played the same (wrong) way for 30 years 
    had a couple of lessons last year and he got me hitting my 8,9, wedge 10-30 yards longer and straighter doing it properly but walk away from the pro forget all the changes back to my way and it’s all erratic , I can on rare occasions hit a few pars on the spin and more often than that blob a load of holes .
    one day the driver works then the irons/ chipping doesn’t Next it’s the other way round , putting generally rubbish (which is obviously a massive part of the game ) 

I got to have more lessons and I will improve it’s finding the time and inclination... I suppose I’d rather moan about being shit !!
  • Options
    Cheers for all your advice on St Andrews guys 

played birch Monday, shot a 76 my best score ever! Been using golfshot app to records my course stats - really useful if you’ve not it before 
  • Options
    me
    Front 9 ... 18 points 
    Back 9 ... 8 points

son
    Front 9 ... 9 points
    Back 9 .... 22 points 

The game is a massive wind up

today at theydon , on the back 9 i had 4 shots on the spin on the same hole and lost 4 balls,  two lost from tee shots , dropped one and bang in to woods lost , moved further up sliced one in to other woods

very tight course tees near other tees

tees near greens
    had to apologise to a group leaving a green close by as i shanked another tee shot in to hell and screamed 'fuck off' ....
    i need an "i've got fucking tourettes you c***! " badge
  • Options
    Need to pack the Ambre Solaire in the morning
  • Options
    Been on a boys trip this weekend to Celtic manor. 16 of us in 4, 4 balls. Played the 2010 course on Friday and Roman Road yesterday. 19 and 32 points respectively off of 21. £210 with a nights accommodation and breakfast thrown in. An absolute bargain. We were supposed to be given twin rooms but as they were only at 50% occupancy, they gave us our own rooms! 2hr 45 mins drive (I’m in Bromley). Thoroughly recommended.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Love it. Many times I've had to do that with playing partners who have tried putting down a 5 instead of a 6. Not sure they had to count up to 10 though.
  • Options
    Been on a boys trip this weekend to Celtic manor. 16 of us in 4, 4 balls. Played the 2010 course on Friday and Roman Road yesterday. 19 and 32 points respectively off of 21. £210 with a nights accommodation and breakfast thrown in. An absolute bargain. We were supposed to be given twin rooms but as they were only at 50% occupancy, they gave us our own rooms! 2hr 45 mins drive (I’m in Bromley). Thoroughly recommended.
    Played it twice. Won't give you views on it apart from saying.......if you go to Wales you want to be playing a links course.
  • Options
    Played Reigate Hill on Friday 34 Points playing off 18, course in great condition greens were nice and fast n true. Won one of the nearest the pins 8th and nearest the pin in 2 on the 16th(tee shot into the green side bunker and chipped to 6") for some reason some of society members want to stop the nearest the pin in 2 as I have won 7 out of the last 8. I have said as a compromise if they wanted I will play that particular hole from the whites or Blacks !!! Personally if they are not accurate enough or long enough on a short par 4 tough !!  
  • Options
    Next up is Littlestone Championship on Thursday !!
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    Played Reigate Hill on Friday 34 Points playing off 18, course in great condition greens were nice and fast n true. Won one of the nearest the pins 8th and nearest the pin in 2 on the 16th(tee shot into the green side bunker and chipped to 6") for some reason some of society members want to stop the nearest the pin in 2 as I have won 7 out of the last 8. I have said as a compromise if they wanted I will play that particular hole from the whites or Blacks !!! Personally if they are not accurate enough or long enough on a short par 4 tough !!  
    I love the par 5 along the side of the M25 followed by the short downhill par 3. Often done 36 holes round there with a buggy. 
  • Options
    Have you got back into playing again @golfaddick ?

if I remember correctly you packed it in for a few years
  • Options
    @golfaddick yes that little par 3 is great that was my closest to the pin !! 
  • Options
    Have you got back into playing again @golfaddick ?

if I remember correctly you packed it in for a few years
    Not yet. Still having problems with my eyes. New Years resolution was to get out this year, even if it was a twilight round on my own. Covid then out paid to that & now having problems with my eyes again. 
  • Options
    Played chelsfield lakes yesterday members Monthly comp went off in front of us so was very slow, teed off at 9.53 didn’t finish until 2.57 didn’t bother with the bar afterwards as was packed with members and wasn’t the most Inviting people shaving people with clippers and weed being smoked etc 
  • Options
    Played chelsfield lakes yesterday members Monthly comp went off in front of us so was very slow, teed off at 9.53 didn’t finish until 2.57 didn’t bother with the bar afterwards as was packed with members and wasn’t the most Inviting people shaving people with clippers and weed being smoked etc 
    I've seen many a thing in a clubhouse but haircuts is a new one,,,,,,,,,