Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• RedPanda said:
    I'm 9/10 rounds through my Scotland trip. The weather and scoring have been tough, but that's all part of the fun. 

Carnoustie Burnside - thought it was going to be a fun, shorter layout but it's nasty. Got some heathland vibes as well as links. 

Panmure - awesome links plus a little heath. Has great variety and is famous for Ben Hogan using it to warm up for his Open win next door. 

Carnoustie Buddon - not great but was part of my Carnoustie deal. Half the holes are links, half parkland. 

Carnoustie - one of the best, so grand and pure. Not as tough as I thought but did go 41-49 including a VD Velde 7 on 18 to not break 90. It was very wet though and I went off the rear visitor tees, so that's fine. I preferred this to St Andrews. 

Old Course - a little underwhelming but everyone says it's better the more you play it. Didn't break 90 in 30+ cross winds. Put one in the Road Hole bunker. 

Jubilee - flatter, less quirky, has some good sea views. Preferred the New. 

New - wind settled for once so had my best round of the week. Great layout, has the humps and bumps of the Old and is more straight forward. 

Leven - 30 mins south. Felt like playing golf in Yarmouth or somewhere, run down town and scruffy course but a cool layout. 

Lundin - next door but up a notch. The most hilly links I've seen and has all you'd want in a links - blind shots, fairway mounds, burns, viewing platforms... It's up on Panmure level. 

St Andrews Castle - just this left at 8.20. It's not pure links but has views over the town. 

Also, playing with a half set is a lot easier and more fun than you'd think. 
    Sounds like an amazing trip. Out of interest what part of the Old Course did you find underwhelming? Would be interested to hear your views on the Castle Course as well as that seems to get very mixed reviews. I haven't played either but currently trying to plan a trip up there.
  • Looks amazing RedPanda, would love to do a trip like that, one day.
  • edited August 2020
    RedPanda said:
    I'm 9/10 rounds through my Scotland trip. The weather and scoring have been tough, but that's all part of the fun. 

Also, playing with a half set is a lot easier and more fun than you'd think. 
    Sounds like an amazing trip. Out of interest what part of the Old Course did you find underwhelming? Would be interested to hear your views on the Castle Course as well as that seems to get very mixed reviews. I haven't played either but currently trying to plan a trip up there.

Maybe because it's so familiar & expectations are so high. Holes 2-6 are a bit samey. 9 and 10 don't blow you away either. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing experience and a must-play, but I didn't walk off beaming quite like I have other places. There’s a lot of strategy, nuances and secrets you can't get from one quick visit.

The Castle Course is excellent, a few holes belong on parkland courses but a lot of holes sweep down towards the sea and the greens are as crazy as you hear. Let me know if you need any help planning anything.

• Great read Red Panda. As someone who hasn't played in Scotland I appreciate a brief description with a few photos.
  • ChiAddick said:
    Great read Red Panda. As someone who hasn't played in Scotland I appreciate a brief description with a few photos.
    Been to Scotland 5 times to play golf. One time I stayed a week & played a number of courses. Played Durness once.........check it out on a map & you'll see why you'll only play it the once  !!
  • I’ve got my handicap down to 17.9 since being 28 in March. Joining a club has been the best decision I’ve made in a long time. Feel delighted to have achieved my goal, but now I need to set a new one! 

Have some nice trips to look forward to before the end of the year. Got 3 days at The Belfry playing all 3 courses, East Sussex National again, my annual trip to Princes with @AFKABartram and also 2 rounds at Manor of Groves which is a new one for me.

It’s still a stupid game, played by idiots. 

But I love it.
  • I’ve got my handicap down to 17.9 since being 28 in March. Joining a club has been the best decision I’ve made in a long time. Feel delighted to have achieved my goal, but now I need to set a new one! 

Have some nice trips to look forward to before the end of the year. Got 3 days at The Belfry playing all 3 courses, East Sussex National again, my annual trip to Princes with @AFKABartram and also 2 rounds at Manor of Groves which is a new one for me.

But I love it.
    Think we’re up to 24 for the Princes trip.

I’m now 19.3 and Rich has hit 18. We need to sort out a round soon.

Thanks for sharing @RedPanda great post that. Proper jealous reading that!

But I love it.
    the Belfrey is a great place
  • 92 and 33 points yesterday at weald of kent, not happy with my driving which has been good lately but my putting saved my round (well in my eyes it did) next up is the Ridge on Monday #SaveCAFC

• Sponsored links:

• “me and my wally son”

🤣🤣
  • Needed a break from this take over need it's doing my head in ... A pleasant 18 at the Ridge today 88 and 36 points playing off 18 little by little my game is coming together 5 pars in last 6 holes 
  • edited August 2020
    Played Lykia Links in Turkey on Monday.  Used to be Number 1 course out here.   Tee was 10am.  I was the ONLY one there.    Great looking course but now getting old and tired and they obviously have no money.

My hire clubs were old.  At least 10 years old.  Played off the Golds at 6,990 yards and shot an 83.(+10).   Distance off the tee was an issue.  I had a high loft, whippy graphite Tommy Armour driver.   Very straight but struggled to hit more than 220 yards. 

• Some hire clubs are comical. I had a society day in all the rain yesterday at Sunningdale Old and New. 58 points from 36 holes got me 21st of 40 people. I'd have taken that before. They're up there with the best courses I've played, the Old is grand and picture perfect and the New is more adventurous, open heathland. 

Got Woking and a few New Forest courses planned in the next week. 
  • RedPanda said:
    Some hire clubs are comical. I had a society day in all the rain yesterday at Sunningdale Old and New. 58 points from 36 holes got me 21st of 40 people. I'd have taken that before. They're up there with the best courses I've played, the Old is grand and picture perfect and the New is more adventurous, open heathland. 

Only played the Old at Sunningdale.

Have Worplesdon, Woking, West Hill, New Zealand, Hankley Common, London Club, Wildernesse, The Berkshire, Siloth, Turnberry Robert The Bruce and Ailsa all over the next 2 months!
  • Playing your Red Libbets later today @Taxi_Lad

Ill try and replace my divots :-) 
  • Got a golf weekend coming up at Coulsdon Manor first weekend in September, what is that like? Does anybody know? 6 of us going, 3 vs 3 in a Ryder cup style. 

Havent had a round recently but I am playing Redlibbets tomorrow and Woldingham on Monday.   
  • supaclive said:
    RedPanda said:
    Some hire clubs are comical. I had a society day in all the rain yesterday at Sunningdale Old and New. 58 points from 36 holes got me 21st of 40 people. I'd have taken that before. They're up there with the best courses I've played, the Old is grand and picture perfect and the New is more adventurous, open heathland. 

Have Worplesdon, Woking, West Hill, New Zealand, Hankley Common, London Club, Wildernesse, The Berkshire, Siloth, Turnberry Robert The Bruce and Ailsa all over the next 2 months!
    Jesus......have you just won the lottery...lol.

I've played West Hill, NZ, Hankley Common & Siloth out of that lot. 
  • Dizzle said:
    Got a golf weekend coming up at Coulsdon Manor first weekend in September, what is that like? Does anybody know? 6 of us going, 3 vs 3 in a Ryder cup style. 

Havent had a round recently but I am playing Redlibbets tomorrow and Woldingham on Monday.   
    Coulson Manor is ok. Typical Hotel parkland course. I do like the opening hole, downhill par 5 iirc. 
  • Sponsored links:

• @supaclive that's most of my UK dream list to play 
  • edited August 2020
    supaclive said:
    RedPanda said:

Client taking me to Turnberry and Siloth.  The others are all Charity Golf days for a Charity I'm a member of, so we get to play amazing courses for great prices plus raise lots of money for charity too.
  • 20 of us off to Forest of Arden for the weekend. Playing both courses. Anyone played there before who can give hints and tips for a very average golfer?
  • 20 of us off to Forest of Arden for the weekend. Playing both courses. Anyone played there before who can give hints and tips for a very average golfer?
    Score on the par5s.  Nice place.  Solihull is an interesting night out!
    Keep it straight & on the short stuff. Plenty of trees if you go off line. Par 3 18th looks daunting as there is no bail out area. 190 yards all over water. 9th hole is just as bad.. ..gorse everywhere & can't see the fairway from the tee.

Great courses though. Obviously the Championship one is better & the other one is close to the motorway, but all in all worth playing. 

• supaclive said:
    supaclive said:
    RedPanda said:

Client taking me to Turnberry and Siloth.  The others are all Charity Golf days for a Charity I'm a member of, so we get to play amazing courses for great prices plus raise lots of money for charity too.
    I still have nightmares about Siloth. One hole in particular. Par 4 with a raised green & steep banks either side. I think I must have chipped on & off that green 2 or 3 times before I got it to stay on the green. 
  • Playing your Red Libbets later today @Taxi_Lad

Ill try and replace my divots :-) 
    I was there too today. Teed off 10:36  What time were you ?
  • 4.44, last two holes were almost pitch black
  • 4.44, last two holes were almost pitch black
    I hope my divots didn’t cause you any grief 😉
  • Played Woldingham yesterday and my god it was slow. 4 and a half hours as a 2 ball. I hate golf when its like that. No rhythm at all. Scored 29 points which is poor there as its an easy course. 

Playing the Surrey national next week for the first time. Apparently its tough.