Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Played Selsden weekend just gone okay course - long and a bit of a journey from Bexley. 

Blimey, its not that far. 30 mins.....40 max. I used to drive a couple of hours at the weekend back in the day (15-20 years ago). A trip to Ashdown Forest, Eastbourne or Crowborough was the norm. If we went away for the weekend I would be driving back from Shropshire or Suffolk/Norfolk at 10pm sunday night. 
  • Options
    @golfaddick just saying when i have better qaulity courses near me and without having to drive into stripey nigel bastard territory. 
  • Options
    Have loved playing golf over the last few months. With no other social life mentally it’s been a real saviour for me to spend a few hours with pals and have a pint after.

Think I’m on a run of five rounds in a row where it’s rained though. A dry round again would be welcome.  
  • Options
    @golfaddick just saying when i have better qaulity courses near me and without having to drive into stripey nigel bastard territory. 
    Better courses......in Bexley  ??  The reason I travelled a lot years back was that there are no decent courses in & around Bexley. Not many in Kent itself. Not saying that Selsdon Park is anything to write home about, but I reckon you'd be lucky to pick out half a dozen decent courses within a 30 min radius of Bexley, without paying in excess of £50 mind.
  • Options
    I have Theydon Bois and Coombe Hill coming up in the next two weeks.  Looking forward to it.
  • Options
    I have Theydon Bois and Coombe Hill coming up in the next two weeks.  Looking forward to it.
    Coombe Hill is lovely.  Play it usually once a year.  Greens quick and undulating. 
  • Options
    My wife is in charge of prizes for a golf society and she looking for websites where she can get good deals on everything from tees, shoe bags, scorecard holders, golf balls, clearance clothing etc.
    Does anyone know some decent websites she might look at?
    Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Theydon Bois short ish and a tight course but if you’re straight and controlled all good !!
  • Options
    Theydon Bois short ish and a tight course but if you’re straight and controlled all good !!
    Leave your driver at home when playing Theydon, also on 16 don’t get greedy - take a relatively short iron off the tee, say 7iron
  • Options
    Played Rascal Bay at Brentwood on Wednesday if that counts ...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    My wife is in charge of prizes for a golf society and she looking for websites where she can get good deals on everything from tees, shoe bags, scorecard holders, golf balls, clearance clothing etc.
    Many thanks in advance.
    We had a memorial day and got some of our stuff from best4balls.com very helpful and we found it quite reasonable 
  • Options
    I have a question for the board !!!

In our society days we have the usual nearest the pin (on all the par 3's) Longest Drive, overall stableford winner and Nearest the pin in 2 on a shortish par 4 

My question is what would you say takes the most skill nearest the pin or nearest the pin in 2 ? please help be settle an argument so to speak 
  • Options
    Nearest the pin.  One shot.  Fair for everybody. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    This. Also you have to many "prizes". Nearest the pin on 1 par 3 only. Longest Drive on a longish par 5. Putting competition alongside the usual stableford one. 4 should do it. Anymore & it will look like everyone will pick up a prize. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Cafcscp. Try www.sherpashaw-golf.co.uk. Based in Bromley.
  • Options
    Cheers for the responses guys I was on the other that having to play 2 good shots was more challenging than 1. (But I usually won the nearest the pin in 2 for some reason) 

Regarding so many prizes its only a bottle of wine and the oldies we have playing do enjoy taking a bottle home. I give any wine I win to my old man as he likes a nice Malbec  :smiley:
  • Options
    I’m heading over to enemy country next Sunday for a Ryder cup style event against another society at Farleigh Court. 
    Anyone played it recently?
  • Options
    Oh

Leave your driver at home when playing Theydon, also on 16 don’t get greedy - take a relatively short iron off the tee, say 7iron
    dear.

Given I tend to hit long and very wayward, I suspect Theydon will be a long round!
  • Options
    Oh

dear.

Given I tend to hit long and very wayward, I suspect Theydon will be a long round!
    Trust me, if you club down you’ll have a better day.

I have played a few comps/club matches there and I hate the place. As you’ve no doubt gathered it’s not a drivers course and the only time I’ve scored well is taking mainly irons off the tee.

Bad rounds there are normally made worse when some old fart of a home player tells you that it’s ‘a thinker’s course’. No it’s not mate, it’s Mickey Mouse, and the only reason you’ve scored ok is because your maximum driving length is 150 yards. Thinkers course my arse.

And if you think that’s a few sub 30 point rounds talking you’d be right.

Enjoy ;-)
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I’m heading over to enemy country next Sunday for a Ryder cup style event against another society at Farleigh Court. 
    Played it last summer.  It's ok.  Rough is long and whispy.   Quite forgiving though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Played it last summer.  It's ok.  Rough is long and whispy.   Quite forgiving though.
    I like forgiving 👍🏻
  • Options
    Cafcscp. Try www.sherpashaw-golf.co.uk. Based in Bromley.
    Thanks, greatly appreciated
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Many thanks in advance.
    We had a memorial day and got some of our stuff from best4balls.com very helpful and we found it quite reasonable 
    Thanks Magic1999
  • Options
    An enjoyable days golf today 

• Options
    39 points off playing off 18
  • Options
    Played Knole Park today (£60 as a member elsewhere) - best greens I think I’ve played on all year, really enjoyable track 

and I didn’t hit any deer!
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    This. Also you have to many "prizes". Nearest the pin on 1 par 3 only. Longest Drive on a longish par 5. Putting competition alongside the usual stableford one. 4 should do it. Anymore & it will look like everyone will pick up a prize. 
    Longest drive....

I think that a narrowing fairway is more of a competition.

A wide open long Par 5 reduces the winners to the big hitters.

• Options
    Comment is absolutely nothing to do with my distance when driving......😁
  • Options
    An 89 at littlestone championship course today 36 points off 18 happy with that