Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Played southern valley Gravesend at the weekend - cracking links style course shot 100 which with wind and my 22 handicap I was pretty pleased with. 
  • Had another 50+ hour work week at the end of a run of stressy weeks. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was my Saturday morning game with pals.  Golf will be my mental saviour.

Hit a 9 at the opening par 4 and my round was over within 10 mins of starting.

poxy game
    Nothing like blobbing the 1st. 
  • Had another 50+ hour work week at the end of a run of stressy weeks. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was my Saturday morning game with pals.  Golf will be my mental saviour.

poxy game

The joys of stableford - the 9 costs you 2 points, still 17 holes to make it up!
    I gave up playing stroke play years ago for that very reason!

poxy game
    Probably the hardest opening hole I have ever played. The houses on the right of the first must make a fortune out of balls in their gardens
  • 801912601 said:
    Had another 50+ hour work week at the end of a run of stressy weeks. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was my Saturday morning game with pals.  Golf will be my mental saviour.

poxy game
    Probably the hardest opening hole I have ever played. The houses on the right of the first must make a fortune out of balls in their gardens
    On Saturday morning @801912601
     a house around the bend on the right was having a bonfire and tipped over about 30 balls from the end of their garden. We were very tempted to scatter them all around the valley before the hole to confuse the hell out of the group behind, but thought better of it!
  • supaclive said:
    Club Championships at The Addington on Saturday.  Greens ramped up to 12 on the stimp meter (PGA Tour speed).  Tricky pin positions and a slightly breezy day and played off the tips, so as hard as it could get.

Scratch competition.  Medal play.

Carnage.

The winner- 19 year old boy, plays for England - shot +2 in the first round and +2 in the second round and won by 8 shots from 2nd place and 15 shots from 3rd place.

Now remember I had a LEVEL PAR round two weeks after lockdown finished.....

The morning round I had my WORST round of golf in 10 years.  I lost 5 balls.  It was medal play, so no blobs, you have to finish the hole.   I shot 109..... yes.... 109.....

I developed a snap hook from nowhere.  I had one 9, five 7s and one 10 on the card.

I had a pint at lunch, laughed with a lot of people and went out in the afternoon trying to blank out my morning round.  It worked, a bit....

Shot 87 in the afternoon.  Some 22 shots better than the morning.  Good enough for 26th out of 68 in the afternoon and due to some NRs and a couple of other shockers from players over 36 holes I finished 57th out of 68.

Golf..... gotta love it !!
    It's nice to know you're human!
  • Have played once in about 7 years and that was 5 years ago.
    Been tempted recently to dig the clubs out of the garage.
    Anyone know what the situation is at Pedham?
    Ideally I’d like blow the cobwebs away by having sessions of an hour on the putting green, a round on the 9 hole par 3 course and finish off on the driving range.
  • bobmunro said:
    Had another 50+ hour work week at the end of a run of stressy weeks. However, the light at the end of the tunnel was my Saturday morning game with pals.  Golf will be my mental saviour.

poxy game

The joys of stableford - the 9 costs you 2 points, still 17 holes to make it up!
    I gave up playing stroke play years ago for that very reason!
    Try and do both but since I started playing 30 years ago my group has always played stroke, only very rarely pick up and blob. I agree it makes more sense  playing stableford, but hard to change the mentality. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Fingers crossed if new lockdown measures are enforced this coming week the golf courses stay open as part of staying healthy as an activity especially as Im enjoying my golf lately (Society game booked for Friday 6th) 
  • edited October 2020
    magic1999 said:
    Fingers crossed if new lockdown measures are enforced this coming week the golf courses stay open as part of staying healthy as an activity especially as Im enjoying my golf lately (Society game booked for Friday 6th) 
    Here here. I should think the Top flite ball factory will go into liquidation if I stop playing!
  • magic1999 said:
    Fingers crossed if new lockdown measures are enforced this coming week the golf courses stay open as part of staying healthy as an activity especially as Im enjoying my golf lately (Society game booked for Friday 6th) 
    Here here. I should think the Top flite ball factory will go into liquidation if I stop playing!
    There are other (and better) ball makers out there. Titleist & Nike would be my top choices. 
  • magic1999 said:
    There are other (and better) ball makers out there. Titleist & Nike would be my top choices. 
    I used to use Nike RZN but have recently switched to Volvik ViMat have found them more responsive round the green than the Nike
  • Due to be playing Royal St George’s Tuesday and it’s only..... 20 mph winds, so calm.

Would be surprised if golf courses are shut. 

Never understood why they took so long to open in the 1st place and why only 2 balls 🤷🏻‍♂️

Saying that - non essential, so who knows...
  • Fully expecting courses to be closed under the all encompassing “Leisure facilities”
    🤬🤬
  • Golf courses WILL be closed under the new guidelines.
  • Yep - severe 

Walking around a big field and personally, with my wayward driving, about as far away social distancing as possible....
  • Very disappointing that Golf courses will close. I can understand them closing clubhouses and indoor facilities but why close Golf courses when parks will remain open. Makes no sense to me.
  • Gutted at this needless closure. Golf bodies putting pressure on to reverse. Petition here gaining momentum

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/309851?fbclid=IwAR2cdfuTirZizohuGK803fneup5xLzFMPKwOY6SjwNZ8svDpx7y1sfgljzw
  • Sponsored links:

• "The Government should allow golf courses to open so families or individuals can play golf in order to exercise safely."

I wonder what percentage of families play golf? Are there many 4 balls with husband, wife and children playing? And it's a safe place to exercise as opposed to a park which isn't?

Not saying that golf courses shouldn't be open but not sure the reasoning put forward in the petition is a particularly convincing one.
  • It's nonsense.  Close clubhouses and pro shops.  Make it members and booking online and 2 balls only.
  • New handicap system now coming in. Looks very complicated to calculate but I'm in favour of the principles behind it, namely that some courses are tougher than others & an 18 handicap around Barnehurst won't get you scoring under 90 at Wentworth or Royal St George's (I know as I've tried) so a "difficulty" rating is factored in. 
  • edited November 2020
    Removed for talking nonsense.
  • Yep. Can't see the harm in 2 balls with clubhouses closed as they were before.

But I guess some think tank has suggested it shows favouritism towards golfers
  • Got my last 9 holes booked for lunchtime tomorrow.

Fairly sure I’ll miss the walk and the crack with the lads more than the actual golf. Let’s just hope if lockdown does get extended golf might be one of the things they loosen. There’s part of me that fears though we might not be stepping on the tee again for a good 3 months. 
  • New handicap system now coming in. Looks very complicated to calculate but I'm in favour of the principles behind it, namely that some courses are tougher than others & an 18 handicap around Barnehurst won't get you scoring under 90 at Wentworth or Royal St George's (I know as I've tried) so a "difficulty" rating is factored in. 
    My new WHS is 6.9

As an aside, no one will be getting a handicap around Barnehurst at the moment as it never reopened after the first lockdown and is now in a terrible state of disrepair 
  • Hitting the range for an hour or so tonight, and then I guess it'll probably be sometime in the new year before I swing a club again
    As an aside, no one will be getting a handicap around Barnehurst at the moment as it never reopened after the first lockdown and is now in a terrible state of disrepair 
    Is it...?  That's a shame. Played it regularly when a mate of mine lived round the corner from there but that was over 10 years ago. Was never the same once they changed the 3rd to being a par 3 because the house on the corner complained about the golf balls going into their garden. 

Once played Leigh Hales (Killers' son) in a competition round there. He played it like it was a pitch & putt course .....