Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• ROTW said:
    God, there are some beautiful courses now being sprayed about on here. Would love to  The Berkshire & it's on my bucket list. I might have played Worplesdon. I'm sure I've played one of the 3 "W's but can remember which one.... 

Agree with both Piltdown & Crowborough. Both excellent heathland courses & worthwhile playing. 

Played Old Thorns twice. 2nd time as a Corporate day & got scared silly when suddenly above the trees emerged a military helicopter. Must have been on manoeuvres & resembled a scene from Apocalypse Now. 

My biggest regret is that I had a terrible round around the West Course at Wentworth. Couldnt find the fairways & seemed to be permanently in the rough. Scored over 100, although I did birdie the par 3 10th.  Also played the other course (where they park the cars for the PGA tournament). Not a bad course but you are always thinking......but this is not the West.
    In case you are unaware, Thamesmead course doesn’t come under Woolwich.
    Played it a couple of times around 15 years ago. Never again.....
  • Did a society day at Upchurch. 9 holer in the morning as a warm up & then the 18 holer in the afternoon. Really felt like jumping in the pool as we finished & waiting for dinner 
  • edited May 2020
    Swisdom said:
    See that RedLibbets are charging £50 a round at the mo.

Dying to play but I can’t justify that 
    ?? I paid £15

My Dad is a member there and pays something like £450 a year and gets 200 points (something like that - he's sketchy on the details / doesn't bother looking).  It costs around 8 or 9 points per round depending on time and date.  They wanted £15 for me to play.

They are looking for members as far as I can tell so maybe give them a bell
    I remember when Gleneagles was chosen for the 2014 Ryder Cup. They did a special (limited time) offer for a round on the Nicholas course they were going to use. 

The cost.......£20.14

Did 36 holes that day. 18 in the morning on the Dukes & then 18 in the afternoon on the Nicholas.
  • edited May 2020
    ROTW said:
    God, there are some beautiful courses now being sprayed about on here. Would love to  The Berkshire & it's on my bucket list. I might have played Worplesdon. I'm sure I've played one of the 3 "W's but can remember which one.... 

Agree with both Piltdown & Crowborough. Both excellent heathland courses & worthwhile playing. 

Played Old Thorns twice. 2nd time as a Corporate day & got scared silly when suddenly above the trees emerged a military helicopter. Must have been on manoeuvres & resembled a scene from Apocalypse Now. 

My biggest regret is that I had a terrible round around the West Course at Wentworth. Couldnt find the fairways & seemed to be permanently in the rough. Scored over 100, although I did birdie the par 3 10th.  Also played the other course (where they park the cars for the PGA tournament). Not a bad course but you are always thinking......but this is not the West.
    Well that’s another of the W’s done :-)
    Never forget seeing a burnt out car on one of the fairways.
    Quite a novelty.
  • ROTW said:
    ROTW said:

Quite a novelty.

Free drop.
  • bobmunro said:
    ROTW said:
    ROTW said:

Quite a novelty.

Free drop.
    Definitely a man made obstruction but depends if it was still moveable or not 😉.
  • RedChaser said:
    bobmunro said:
    ROTW said:
    ROTW said:

Quite a novelty.

Free drop.
    Definitely a man made obstruction but depends if it was still moveable or not 😉.
    I was assuming the wheels still turned!

• ROTW said:
    ROTW said:

Quite a novelty.
    I remember seeing a burnt out car at the back of a green at Cherry Lodge. 
  • Did a society day at Upchurch. 9 holer in the morning as a warm up & then the 18 holer in the afternoon. Really felt like jumping in the pool as we finished & waiting for dinner 
    You wouldn’t these days. It’s a carp pond
  • Cheers @DaveStorry ive booked a twilight for Pedham next week
  • Sponsored links:

• I was proper pants today. Golf being golf, everything that’s been working recently totally deserted me. Just felt hot and bothered 
  • Back again with more noob questions.

a lot of the iron sets on Golfbidder are 4/5-PW. If I buy those, do I really need a 3 iron? I can use a hybrid club to compensate for the 3 iron.... correct?

• Back again with more noob questions.

a lot of the iron sets on Golfbidder are 4/5-PW. If I buy those, do I really need a 3 iron? I can use a hybrid club to compensate for the 3 iron.... correct?

Correct.

A hybrid is far easier to hit than a 3 or 4 iron - how I ever coped with a 2 iron back in the day is now beyond me!
  • Completely agree Bob I even had a driving iron to go with my 2 iron,complete madness!
  • bobmunro said:

Back again with more noob questions.

Correct.

A hybrid is far easier to hit than a 3 or 4 iron - how I ever coped with a 2 iron back in the day is now beyond me!

Thanks, mate. I managed to get the Callaway X2 Hot irons for £250 as mentioned by @RedPanda

• Completely agree Bob I even had a driving iron to go with my 2 iron,complete madness!

Even I didn't go that far! I had a little four wood (when they were wood!!) that I picked up in the second hand bin in the pro shop at Beckenham Place Park. I must have been 18 at the time, so 45 years ago - and I've still got it somewhere in the garage. My bag at the time was made up of an unmatched hotch potch of second hand clubs!
    When I could afford a new set of matched clubs I got 1,3 & 5 woods.
  • barnehurst has had set back due to an irrigation tank issue, would of likely gone on there the weekend as literally 5 mins from me, although imagine it will be in a state as people have just been playing it as open. 
  • playing parkwood on monday and pedham hopefully next sunday 
  • Horam today for me, and Littlestone Warren and Lydd next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• barnehurst has had set back due to an irrigation tank issue, would of likely gone on there the weekend as literally 5 mins from me, although imagine it will be in a state as people have just been playing it as open. 
    The course is at the back of where I live & I walked around it last week. It is in a right mess - hasn’t been watered for a couple off months so the fairways are rock hard & the greens are pretty bare. Would give it a miss for at least a month once the watering system is back working

• I wonder how much longer it will be until we can play in 4 balls again??
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I wonder how much longer it will be until we can play in 4 balls again??
    Never I hope. Give me 3 hour rounds over four hour + rounds any day.
  • I missing miss the banter of playing with a group of mates though. Also nice to have an audience when you hit those “all too infrequent” pearlers 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    I missing miss the banter of playing with a group of mates though. Also nice to have an audience when you hit those “all too infrequent” pearlers 
    I remember I played at Cray Valley 9 hole once and the queue for the 1st tee must’ve been about 15 people deep.

was so nervous heading up to the tee box but I hit an absolute belter of a driver right on the edge of the back fairway. Couldn’t believe it. Still took me another 4 shots to hole though bear in mind. 
  • My mate, who was quite handy, always used to aim to the left, over the mound.
    Pretty much always on the green also.
    Then again, he was a far greater player then the Cray Valley 9 hole group.
  • Sollydog said:
    Horam today for me, and Littlestone Warren and Lydd next week.
    Quite like Horam. Only played it the once but seemed a decent 9 holer.

Played Lydd a number of times. Beware of the water.......and swan shit. Not bad course for the cost & often did 36 holes in a day there.
  • Played last 2 days

Been playing great but yesterday, the signs were there....

Going out 11 points, coming in 20 - so recovered well.

Today 😩 Got 12 points front nine so 1 more than yesterday so was positive still....

New 9 and all that jazz - I can recover...

10 blob
    11 blob
    12 blob

Ffs 😩

2 nd shot hole 10 went long into trees - lost ball

Next shot shanked right into a jungle - lost ball

11th hole hooked left - lost ball

Next shot went long into the long stuff - lost ball

Lost 4 balls in 4 shots on 2 consecutive holes

Go to be a record without a bit of water in sight 🤣

So can anyone beat my shiteness with a horror show of losing 4 balls in 4 shots?

Thought not ..,.. 🤣
  • First comp since lockdown today.  Wind up here was breezy - gusts of up to 35mph.

My form thankfully continued.   39 points (official handicap is 8.6).  Should be down to 8.

Long may my form continue but I am doubtful.
  • supaclive said:
    First comp since lockdown today.  Wind up here was breezy - gusts of up to 35mph.

My form thankfully continued.   39 points (official handicap is 8.6).  Should be down to 8.

Long may my form continue but I am doubtful.
    Great golf - well done 👍👍-brutal out there today.

Well that’s my excuse !