Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Ooops. You're right. Played it on a couple of occasions. Wasn't expensive for me as both times it was a Corporate do. 
  • Options
    Image of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkImage of Stoke ParkStoke Park>Golf>Green FeesGreen FeesEverything is sheer class.. you know you're in for an absolute treat at Stoke Park
     Today's Golfer Apr & OctMay - SeptNov 2019 - May 2020Visitor Rates   Mid-WeekTwilight£110£175£75£90WeekendTwilight£180 £245£125£150
  • Options
    To me that's expensive
  • Options
    Favourite UK Course - Turnberry Ailsa Couse
    Abroad - Spyglass Hill
  • Options
    Have played corporate societies at Wentworth & Stoke Park but believe the best course I have played in the UK is the Berkshire. 
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Have played corporate societies at Wentworth & Stoke Park but believe the best course I have played in the UK is the Berkshire. 

Been lucky to play both Berkshire courses and both are fantastic, and the red is sensational.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

Been lucky to play both Berkshire courses and both are fantastic, and the red is sensational.
    Me too. Think I preferred the blue - opening long par 3? Played a 36 holer a couple of years back. 18 in the morning at the Berkshire and the Edinburgh course at wentworth in the afternoon. The Berkshire was the better course in my opinion.

Was supposed to play Worplesdon before all this blew. Anyone played it?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

Me too. Think I preferred the blue - opening long par 3? Played a 36 holer a couple of years back. 18 in the morning at the Berkshire and the Edinburgh course at wentworth in the afternoon. The Berkshire was the better course in my opinion.

Yes, coincidentally I was booked for The Berkshire in late March but had to cancel due to Covid-19. Managed to salvage something by playing Camberley Heath then 36 at Worplesdon.

Worplesdon is fun and strategic, you can bumble along making easy pars & bogeys but start attacking pins on shelves and you'll be making bogeys & doubles. It has some really funky greens, and their 36 hole deals are excellent value. Of the "Three Ws" I'd put it marginally behind Woking but I found it a lot friendlier.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Blimey,ive got golf course envy,some of you guys have played some wonderful courses. My bucket list has grown. The best/nicest course ive played in this country is Old Thorns and ive also played London club and ive played in Almeria in Spain a couple of times. I need to get out more!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedPanda said:
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

Yes, coincidentally I was booked for The Berkshire in late March but had to cancel due to Covid-19. Managed to salvage something by playing Camberley Heath then 36 at Worplesdon.

Worplesdon is fun and strategic, you can bumble along making easy pars & bogeys but start attacking pins on shelves and you'll be making bogeys & doubles. It has some really funky greens, and their 36 hole deals are excellent value. Of the "Three Ws" I'd put it marginally behind Woking but I found it a lot friendlier.

Played Worplesdon several  times in the late 80s and always enjoyed it. I’d be interested to see how it has adapted to modern equipment as my sense is that it might feel quite short these days. I remember the first hole as a gentle uphill dogleg right which used to require a decent 8 or 9 iron second shot. I’ll bet it’s driveable off the tee now. 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

Played Worplesdon several  times in the late 80s and always enjoyed it. I’d be interested to see how it has adapted to modern equipment as my sense is that it might feel quite short these days. I remember the first hole as a gentle uphill dogleg right which used to require a decent 8 or 9 iron second shot. I’ll bet it’s driveable off the tee now. 

367yds off the whites and pretty straight with a very slight edge to the right - so no real corner to cut. Been a while since I've hit a drive that far (er never actually!!).
  • Options
    See that RedLibbets are charging £50 a round at the mo.

Dying to play but I can’t justify that 
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

It kind of is, but shorter and easier can mean more fun. You still have a lot of decision making, on 2 you can find a flat lie playing down the right but then you risk overhanging branches. On 17 the best angle is from the right, but then you have to flirt with bunkers. Plus as a heathland it’s often firm and balls will run into trouble you didn’t know was there.

Going back to value courses you recommended yesterday – I really recommend Crowborough Beacon near Tunbridge Wells, that's as scenic and dramatic a course as you'll find. £30 after 2pm at the weekend might also make it the cheapest heathland. Piltdown a bit further down the road is only £35 after 4pm too, it has no bunkers but lots and lots of heather.

• Options

It kind of is, but shorter and easier can mean more fun. You still have a lot of decision making, on 2 you can find a flat lie playing down the right but then you risk overhanging branches. On 17 the best angle is from the right, but then you have to flirt with bunkers. Plus as a heathland it’s often firm and balls will run into trouble you didn’t know was there.

Going back to value courses you recommended yesterday – I really recommend Crowborough Beacon near Tunbridge Wells, that's as scenic and dramatic a course as you'll find. £30 after 2pm at the weekend might also make it the cheapest heathland. Piltdown a bit further down the road is only £35 after 4pm too, it has no bunkers but lots and lots of heather.

Jeez mate, you make it sound as though you actually know where it’s gonna go after you’ve hit it........😉
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Jeez mate, you make it sound as though you actually know where it’s gonna go after you’ve hit it........😉

Ha ha - likewise.
    "which way to the green?" - whack!

Usually followed by "bollox".
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Ha ha - likewise.
    "which way to the green?" - whack!

Usually followed by "bollox".
    I saw a golf towel once which had a cartoon image of a little Martian standing before the King of the Martians reporting on his return from a trip to Earth. The speech balloon said “I  visited the planet called  “Earth” and I can confirm that there is a life form called “human beings” who indulge in a pastime called “golf” where they use a long implement called a “club” to hit a small spherical object called a “bastard”.  
  • Options
    God, there are some beautiful courses now being sprayed about on here. Would love to  The Berkshire & it's on my bucket list. I might have played Worplesdon. I'm sure I've played one of the 3 "W's but can remember which one.... 

Agree with both Piltdown & Crowborough. Both excellent heathland courses & worthwhile playing. 

Played Old Thorns twice. 2nd time as a Corporate day & got scared silly when suddenly above the trees emerged a military helicopter. Must have been on manoeuvres & resembled a scene from Apocalypse Now. 

My biggest regret is that I had a terrible round around the West Course at Wentworth. Couldnt find the fairways & seemed to be permanently in the rough. Scored over 100, although I did birdie the par 3 10th.  Also played the other course (where they park the cars for the PGA tournament). Not a bad course but you are always thinking......but this is not the West.
  • Options

?? I paid £15

My Dad is a member there and pays something like £450 a year and gets 200 points (something like that - he's sketchy on the details / doesn't bother looking).  It costs around 8 or 9 points per round depending on time and date.  They wanted £15 for me to play.

They are looking for members as far as I can tell so maybe give them a bell
  • Options
    God, there are some beautiful courses now being sprayed about on here. Would love to  The Berkshire & it's on my bucket list. I might have played Worplesdon. I'm sure I've played one of the 3 "W's but can remember which one.... 

Agree with both Piltdown & Crowborough. Both excellent heathland courses & worthwhile playing. 

Played Old Thorns twice. 2nd time as a Corporate day & got scared silly when suddenly above the trees emerged a military helicopter. Must have been on manoeuvres & resembled a scene from Apocalypse Now. 

My biggest regret is that I had a terrible round around the West Course at Wentworth. Couldnt find the fairways & seemed to be permanently in the rough. Scored over 100, although I did birdie the par 3 10th.  Also played the other course (where they park the cars for the PGA tournament). Not a bad course but you are always thinking......but this is not the West.
    In case you are unaware, Thamesmead course doesn’t come under Woolwich.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Randy Andy. Not played it this year yet but Uphurch River Valley usually in very good nick. The 9 is quite long too , a par 5 close to 600 yds I recall. Well worth a visit, if now open
  • Options
    AFKA, pedham doing twilight. Playing friday £15.
  • Options
    What time twilight starting might do it next Friday
  • Options
    I have also played the 9 at Upchurch and can confirm the par 5 is over 600yds, it's a fairly open flat course and usually in good nick but I find it a little bland. A little further out Leeds Castle Would be my choice of 9 hole course, shorter (no par 5) but more testing as it's tighter with more interesting holes, it also boasts lovely views of the castle.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    I have also played the 9 at Upchurch and can confirm the par 5 is over 600yds, it's a fairly open flat course and usually in good nick but I find it a little bland. A little further out Leeds Castle Would be my choice of 9 hole course, shorter (no par 5) but more testing as it's tighter with more interesting holes, it also boasts lovely views of the castle.
    Great 9 hole. Good call.
  • Options
    Magic 1999. That price was from 17.00. Think they start twilight at 16.00 but a bit more. Check out their website.
  • Options
    Playing tomorrow at 16.30. Think my mate said £17.50.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    bobmunro said:
    801912601 said:

Thanks red panda. We will play it when you can revert to 3 balls as there we’re supposed to be 3 of us playing. Have played Crowborough beacon a couple of times but both times in the heart of winter. Definitely going to play there this summer.
  • Options
    First round for 2 months at 8.50 tomorrow morning. Golf gear all laid out and ready like a kid who’s got his favourite toy back. One more sleep!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

?? I paid £15

My Dad is a member there and pays something like £450 a year and gets 200 points (something like that - he's sketchy on the details / doesn't bother looking).  It costs around 8 or 9 points per round depending on time and date.  They wanted £15 for me to play.

They are looking for members as far as I can tell so maybe give them a bell
    They might be looking for members as they are a bit money grabbing but the club is rammed with members these days since the closure of so many locals courses (Austin Lodge, Woodlands , Broke Hill).  Getting booked in for a Saturday three weeks in advance is akin to “fastest finger” on I wanna be a millionaire!!!