Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Greatest Footballing Drama ?

edited June 2007 in General Charlton
I can only off the top of my head think of two that were above our Wembley game, in terms of drama.

1966 World Cup final - Home nation winning in extra time, especially with a contraversial goal
Arsenal at Anfield - Delayed last of season, top two battling it out, decided on virtually the last kick of the game.

But there must be loads more, surely ?

Comments

• Options
    Blackburn nearly blowing it on the last day at Anfield

Reading v Bolton in the play offs a couple of years before us was pretty dramatic
  • Options
    Can't remember the team but that keeper scoring and keeping his team in the league about 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Either of the Liverpool v Newcastle 4-3 matches
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]Can't remember the team but that keeper scoring and keeping his team in the league about 5 years ago.

Jimmy Glass for Carlisle? Circa 1998.
  • Options
    Don't know the year but i remember a Gillingham v Man City play off final at Wembley that was 0-0 with 10 minutes to go then the Gills scored twice and led 2-0 going into injury time but City somehow scored twice to take it to ET and won on penalties.
  • Options
    Suppose the Jimmy Glass one is up there. Nothing will beat that Arsenal / Liverpool one though in my book
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]Can't remember the team but that keeper scoring and keeping his team in the league about 5 years ago.[/quote]

Jimmy Glass for Carlisle? Circa 1998.[/quote]

yup that's the one.
  • Options
    Man u V Munich 1999
  • Options
    Bayern v United in 1999, last 3 minutes was drama at it's finest
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Bayern v United in 1999, last 3 minutes was drama at it's finest

That, for me is the only one that gets close to the Play off final
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    liverpool v a milan 2005
  • Options
    Dream Team
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The Manageress

...That Cheri Lunghi was a bit of alright, IMHO
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimbrannin[/cite]Can't remember the team but that keeper scoring and keeping his team in the league about 5 years ago.

Jimmy Glass for Carlisle? Circa 1998.

yup that's the one.

on saturday night there was a "footballing years" on telly and it was 1998. that bloke left carlisle after that as they didn't offer him a new contract. he now works in an office doing 9-5.

no mention of charlton in the whole programme.
  • Options
    OK we still went down, but what about the game at Villa Park in 99, I think we won it 4-3 with Brownie in goal?

I remember walking out to applause from the Villa fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]
    I remember walking out to applause from the Villa fans.

what did you do ? :-)
  • Options
    What about the 7-6 versus Huddersfield.

If that happened now most of us would have been back in the Oak at 1-5.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited June 2007
    Right, footballing drama, well it dont come moore dramatic than ' there is only one grimmy jimble'

it was on last night, very dramatic doods
  • Options
    Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 - when Collymore scored in the final minute arguably blowing away Newcastle's chances of winning the title..........one of the best games i have ever been to
  • Options
    Gotta be 'The Firm' with Gary Oldman...class.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought this was going to be about Dramas about football.

Zigger Zagger - kids drama we did at school in the 70s

Sweet FA - Play for today about sunday football
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I thought this was going to be about Dramas about football.

it is isnt it henners! its why i put billy gimsdale
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I thought this was going to be about Dramas about football.

It was on telly last night. good bit of rubbish and nice to see Maine Rd again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]

It was on telly last night. good bit of rubbish and nice to see Maine Rd again.

yeah it was good wasnt it, i no what you mean re rubbish, but i enjoyed it and it was the first time i saw it, and maine road, what a great old ground that was! i bet the citeh fans are gutted really!
  • Options
    I didn't see the end and I watched it years ago. Harmless fun about grim up north people

Is Robbie Brewer the blind programme seller or something?

PS seen your mate has gone to Millwall. Nice move for him I guess. We'll all be on to you to get us free tickets NOT!
  • Options
    thread stealers....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]thread stealers....

This site is so PC now. : - )
  • Options
    Yeah its a good move for Gary, hope it works out for him, glad he didnt go to palarse! i wouldnt of disowned him! lol
  • Options
    Jossies Giants!
  • Options
    Peter Shirtliff's 2 goals at St. Andrews in 1987.

Especially after that cheating knut Alan Gunn had awarded Leeds a free-kick for a handball that never was and which he couldn't possibly have been in a position to see even if it had been.