Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    I guess that is the difference with Fosu:
    Where Morgan has taken on board what Bowyer has said, Fosu and Bowyer never saw eye to eye and he had to seek pastures new.
    I did predict he would play again in the championship even if it was via Oxford to Brentford.  
    Back then, we would read stuff about how Bowyer was frustrated with Fosu; how the player hadn't looked after himself in the close season and then got injured in a pre-season friendly game having failed to do a proper warm-up.

To Bowyer, surely he was aghast at how unprofessional that was - and in his classic phrase, "I'm not having it".

Then Fosu recovered from missing 6 weeks of injury, to come on as a late sub at Southend, got clattered and retaliated, sent off for fighting.
    Suspended for 3 games. Bow obviously saw a player who's head is not in the right place.

Fosu only played a bit part of a squad player after that - and I don't believe featured at all in our tremendous run in to Wembley and promotion.
    You can only think despite Fosu's undoubted ability, Bowyer had completely washed his hands of him long before then.

Bowyer has done a brilliant job, but in that case to me that's more of a Bowyer failure than a Fosu one, seeing that he went to Oxford, made an immediate impact and earned a move to Brentford 6 months later. Indeed he's started the last 2 matches for Brentford
    Good for Fosu, if he's turned it around.

Although if you've got a player in the camp who feels he doesn't have to bother about his fitness, off ball team work, ill discipline, etc ..... what sort of message does that convey to the rest of the squad?

Bowyer is the boss. Players have to do it his way, be professional and committed - or move on.
    It can't be any other way or a manager's authority is soon undermined.

If Fosu had dropped down the leagues and taken 3 years to return to a decent level, that would suggest that the player had issues which he had to sort out.

In this case though, 6 months after leaving Charlton he joined a BETTER team than us, one with a brilliant record in the transfer market of buying players and selling on for a profit. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Where Morgan has taken on board what Bowyer has said, Fosu and Bowyer never saw eye to eye and he had to seek pastures new.
    I did predict he would play again in the championship even if it was via Oxford to Brentford.  
    Back then, we would read stuff about how Bowyer was frustrated with Fosu; how the player hadn't looked after himself in the close season and then got injured in a pre-season friendly game having failed to do a proper warm-up.

To Bowyer, surely he was aghast at how unprofessional that was - and in his classic phrase, "I'm not having it".

Then Fosu recovered from missing 6 weeks of injury, to come on as a late sub at Southend, got clattered and retaliated, sent off for fighting.
    Suspended for 3 games. Bow obviously saw a player who's head is not in the right place.

Fosu only played a bit part of a squad player after that - and I don't believe featured at all in our tremendous run in to Wembley and promotion.
    You can only think despite Fosu's undoubted ability, Bowyer had completely washed his hands of him long before then.

Bowyer has done a brilliant job, but in that case to me that's more of a Bowyer failure than a Fosu one, seeing that he went to Oxford, made an immediate impact and earned a move to Brentford 6 months later. Indeed he's started the last 2 matches for Brentford

Although if you've got a player in the camp who feels he doesn't have to bother about his fitness, off ball team work, ill discipline, etc ..... what sort of message does that convey to the rest of the squad?

Bowyer is the boss. Players have to do it his way, be professional and committed - or move on.

If Fosu had dropped down the leagues and taken 3 years to return to a decent level, that would suggest that the player had issues which he had to sort out.

In this case though, 6 months after leaving Charlton he joined a BETTER team than us, one with a brilliant record in the transfer market of buying players and selling on for a profit. 
    You could equally argue that a player of his abilty should have been a key player of a team winning promotion.
    And could therefore have had a quicker opportunity to play in the Championship with Charlton.

Instead he was signed by his old Charlton manager Robinson, staying in the Third Division with Oxford.
    Robinson of course had in inside track on his old club and was ready to pounce on a talented player who had lost his way - and we know Fosu had lost his way at Charlton by his too many substandard performances when he was called upon.

Fosu made a good start at Oxford - and when he played well, Oxford played well.

If he'd left Charlton and signed for Brentford straightaway, I could see your point.
    But he didn't, in effect he dropped a level when at Oxford, where he spent 6 months in a lower League.

And as I said previously: "Good for Fosu if he's turned it round".

• Options
    edited November 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    he's got more natural ability than frank lampard - what lampard had was a great brain and immense stamina to keep getting in the box, and of course was a great finisher - the most talented players often fall by the wayside and those with the brains and stamina go on to have the careers - if he can keep this work rate up now then there is no reason why he won't have a great career from what i can see 
    Albie is going to be a very good player but more natural ability than one of the greatest midfielders this country has produced? Come on.
    i don't think lampard was a great midfielder as such but he was great at scoring goals from midfield - he was no zinedine zidane or paul gascoigne thats for sure
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

agreed although i think it was because he was so important to us and such a good player that LB got so frustrated by him - should have handled it differently in my opinion - we could really have done with fosu over the last few years - i have a feeling he and taylor didnt get on which may also have been a factor in him getting bombed out 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    When does he contract end? Might be wise to tie him down if not already done so because he's going to be another of our home grown successes.
    Already taken care of: 3 year extension, signed in September.

Sweet!
  • Options
    There is space amongst the bandwagon for some of you to jump on the Albie bandwagon I have stood strong on throughout. But you must repeal your sins and admit your mistakes.
    Me too #albiealltheway
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:

agreed although i think it was because he was so important to us and such a good player that LB got so frustrated by him - should have handled it differently in my opinion - we could really have done with fosu over the last few years - i have a feeling he and taylor didnt get on which may also have been a factor in him getting bombed out 
    The second half of 2018/19 after Karlan was sold, should have been the time for Fosu for shine under Bowyer, but it never happened (and I'm sure Fosu is to blame as well)

A fit and motivated Fosu would have been light years ahead of Josh Parker!
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    He’s come on leaps and bounds in the last month or so. 

As others have said, maybe the fact that no league clubs wanted him was the kick up the backside he needed. If I was in his shoes it would’ve made me take a look at myself and think “maybe Bowyer’s right”.

I really didn’t think he was likely to make the grade towards the back end of last season and the start of this. He generally came across as talented but a bit lazy / unwilling to do the dirty work that comes with playing in midfield - the penalty at home to Reading where he didn’t track his runner immediately springs to mind.

It seems he’s finally getting his head down and working on rounding out his game which is excellent news.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    our best youngster and possibly our best passer of the ball. Adkins, at least put him on the bench. 
  • Options
    My 2 pence worth on this is that I think Adkins has come in and based his teams around athleticism. He’s talked about wanting to Steam Roller opposition. If Albie has one area where he could look to improve it is in this department. 

No denying his ability and I really hope we can see him back in the Charlton shirt before the end of the season, but we can’t criticise Adkins for not changing a winning team after getting so irate with Bowyer for all his chopping and changing.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    My 2 pence worth on this is that I think Adkins has come in and based his teams around athleticism. He’s talked about wanting to Steam Roller opposition. If Albie has one area where he could look to improve it is in this department. 

No denying his ability and I really hope we can see him back in the Charlton shirt before the end of the season, but we can’t criticise Adkins for not changing a winning team after getting so irate with Bowyer for all his chopping and changing.
    I agree, i'm not suggesting to change a winning team unless of course necessary but i think he should be on the bench. Especially if Ronnie comes on Albie can create chances by putting the ball past the back four. Then again i haven't seen enough of Ronnie to say if he has any pace to get to those balls. Washington yeah, Ronnie not sure yet. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I can see he has a lot of ability and I think we need to see his shooting improve, his involvement and passing over a number of games. I say that, because shooting and passing are clearly strengths of his and it is where his next step lies. But it is still a step, he isn't on it yet despite improvements. I back him to get there. A player like Morgan could target the Premier League so being satisfied at where he is would not be his right approach.
  • Options
    That Callum Cooke must be the modern day equivalent of Matt Le Tissier he's so far ahead of the rest!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What constitutes an accurate corner?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    arny23394 said:
    Guess its no different to a successful pass - For context we've had 30 corners so far this season

Bradford on the other hand have only had 35-corners so Callum Cooke's stat is pretty impressive
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    If Morgan's 5th it must be keeping the ball on the pitch (sorry Albie).
    Actually the bigger issue I have is that he "floats" the corner so it makes it difficult to get power on headers.
  • Options
    What that stat tells me is that Bradford are a team of giants tbh
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    What that stat tells me is that Bradford are a team of giants tbh
    Chris Perry always showed that size isnt everything ;)
  • Options
    OR

Bradford take short corners
  • Options
    Was gonna say; how many of Cookes corners were short and straight off the training ground? Not knocking him, but I think these "stats" are sometimes little more than over analysing. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Guess its no different to a successful pass - For context we've had 30 corners so far this season

Bradford on the other hand have only had 35-corners so Callum Cooke's stat is pretty impressive
    Sure I read the other day that Cooke also has the most successful passes in the league, so he’s having a superb season. 
  • Options
    arny23394 said:

Sure I read the other day that Cooke also has the most successful passes in the league, so he’s having a superb season. 
    The Cooke is on fire... ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    arny23394 said:

The Cooke is on fire... ;)
    Easy does it mate. Save the puns for previews.