Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 3 British Sportsman

Of all time doesn't matter what sport.

They have been doing it on Talksport this morn so thought I'd put it out to us lot

My take for what it is worht

Bobby Charlton - world cup and euro cup winner
Daley Thompson - different grade
martin johnson

Comments

• Options
    Steve Redgrave would be in there surely
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited June 2007
    Paula Radcliffe?
  • Options
    Fred Perry?
  • Options
    Martin Johnson was a hero for England, but an impartial vote on Britain's greatest ever rugby player would probably give you Gareth Edwards.
  • Options
    Killer !!!
  • Options
    daley thompson
    steve redgrave
    david beckham
  • Options
    Steve Redgrave
    Ian Botham
    Phil Taylor
  • Options
    Fred Perry - three times Wimbledon and Table tennis champion and he wasn't a toff. Still last Englishman to win it.
    Stanley Matthews - First European footballer of the year and still playing at 50
    CB Fry - World long jump record holder, Captain of England at Cricket and scored over 30,000 first class runs (av . over 50), played football for Southampton and England and Rugby for Blackheath

Alternatively it would be

Alf Tupper
    Wilson
    Roy Race
  • Options
    I heard a pretty convincing arguement by Matthew Syed last night, that Redgrave is a massively overrated sports man, big fish in a fish bowl.

anyway

George Best
    Ian Botham
    Daley Thompson
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]daley thompson
    steve redgrave
    david beckham[/quote]

Beckham??
    tell me you're having a laugh?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I heard a pretty convincing arguement by Matthew Syed last night, that Redgrave is a massively overrated sports man, big fish in a fish bowl.

That sounds extremely harsh to me, can we hear that anywhere Rothko?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I heard a pretty convincing arguement by Matthew Syed last night, that Redgrave is a massively overrated sports man, big fish in a fish bowl.

That sounds extremely harsh to me, can we hear that anywhere Rothko?

Might be available on the Five Live website
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    jim clark

nick faldo

jonathan edwards
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]daley thompson
    steve redgrave
    david beckham

Beckham??
    tell me you're having a laugh?

Not at all. He carried the england team for years. He's been a top footballer for much of his career. With the exception of his fling he's an excellent role model. Since he became a star he's been a leading figure for many charities.
  • Options
    Bobby Moore
    Carl Fogerty
    Ian Botham
  • Options
    I think the undisputable top two are Botham and Redgrave, leagues ahead of others. Strong argument the third should be Pinsent, but i also think there are arguments for many others.

We've had a similar debate on sportsman of our generation here:

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=63&page=1#Item_1
  • Options
    Nick Faldo
    Sterling Moss
    Seb Coe
  • Options
    Why Botham as "indisputble?"

I think you could make an arguement for there being greater cricketers let alone all sports. WG Grace, Hobbs, Hutton, Willis and I don't even follow cricket. Was Botham a great captain?

Redgrave and Thompson would be neck and neck for me as greatest Olympian but I'd give it to Daley as it is a bigger and more and competative demanding sport. Redgrave was also a part of teams where as Thompson did it on his own.
  • Options
    Botham is indisputable to me as he was at the top of his game with both the bat and the ball over a long career, and is without doubt the finest all-rounder to have played the game ever. Add to that he also featured professionally in another physical sport, 30 years after other people flitted between summer and winter sports, plus the gruelling trek of the country on behalf of the leukaemia charity, and I see no one else who can compete with that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tim Henman

Only kidding!
  • Options
    I wouldn't question that he was a fine all rounder but I think a few games for Scunthorpe is hardly worthy of mention. His charity work is worthy of great praise

As I said I'm no cricket expert but how about Colin Cowdrey as he was a Charlton director, took Kent to the championship, was Chair of the MCC, a Lord and a great captain for many years as well as great run getter
  • Options
    From the golf world i'll put forward J H Taylor who won the Open five times, was a member of the 'Great Triumvirate', and was a co-founder of the Professional Golf Association. A very interesting character whose grandaughter is a friend of mine.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: kinveachyaddick[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]daley thompson
    steve redgrave
    david beckham[/quote]

Beckham??
    tell me you're having a laugh?[/quote]

Not at all. He carried the england team for years. He's been a top footballer for much of his career. With the exception of his fling he's an excellent role model. Since he became a star he's been a leading figure for many charities.[/quote]

I was assuming it was for on-pitch achievements not charity work etc. which nobody can deny Becks has been superb at.
    On the pitch he got sent-off in 1998 when we were going well against a good argentine side.
    He was anonymous in 2002 and not much better in 2004 and 2006.
    For England I'd say he's been a good player but certainly no better than that.
  • Options
    i agree with Kinveachy
  • Options
    Bobby Moore.
    Steve Redgrave.
    Martin Johnson.
  • Options
    Tend to be of the belief that Beckham has been the scapegoat for the poor performances, 2002 I thought he played well considering he played injuried, 2004 he did ok, 2006 he created a lot.
  • Options
    Redgrave.

For the lenght of time he was at the top of his game.
  • Options
    I've always felt that Beckham gave 100% when he turned out in an England shirt. i'm Irish and from a non bias view i'm shocked that he hasn't recieved the plaudits that he deserves, which i feel is mainly due to a massively underperforming England team who should have easily won the 2002 World Cup and done much better in other tournaments.
  • Options
    Sam Bartram
    Mark Kinsella
    Clive Mendonca

Am I biased do you think????