Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lou Macari and monkey dust

Listening to LBC and they have got a surreal segment about former Manchester United manager Lou Macari which frankly is like an episode of Brass Eye.

Apparently he now runs a drugs and homelessness centre in Stoke and there is an epidemic there sweeping the city of a drug called monkey dust (excellent BBC2 series back in the day).

Fair play and huge respect to Macari for doing this but so surreal hearing him talking about the effects of "monkey dust" I was expecting Chris Morris to pipe up about cake. Bizarre

Comments

• Options
    They're still talking about it. Nick Ferrari talking about £2 for a bag of monkey dust...it is like it's a tribute to brass eye.

What a time to be alive
  • Options
    Awful drug - apparently worse than spice.

• Options

Just hope it doesn’t surface in our prisons. Dealing with the effects of spiced up cons is bad enough but monkey dust sounds worse. I’ve read that it increases paranoia massively, keeps users awake for up to three days and gives those under the influence hulk-like strength.
    Oh for the pre-MDT days when the ‘residents’ were happy with a bit of hash.

• Options
    It's basically synthetic Khat, isn't it? So not the drug itself that's bad - but the process of 'replicating' it synthetically and whatever it ends up being cut with.

We're living in the end days people. Zombies in the streets. Wibble
  • Options
    I thought this was going to be a thread about a new band.
  • Options

Just hope it doesn’t surface in our prisons. Dealing with the effects of spiced up cons is bad enough but monkey dust sounds worse. I’ve read that it increases paranoia massively, keeps users awake for up to three days and gives those under the influence hulk-like strength.

Whatever happened to Angel dust as that drug was reported to produce hulk-like strength in the 80’s? Has it returned as monkey dust?
  • Options
    Most surreal thing I've hear recently was also drug related: In the 80's a heroine addict deliberately injected himself with HIV infected blood so that he'd become higher priority for NHS provided drugs (methadone?). He was dead within 9 months. It's a mad mad world - if you're on drugs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Joss Ackland’s Spunky Backpack.
  • Options
    The takeover thread is a form of spice I think
  • Options

It affects a part of the brain known as Shatner’s Bassoon

It’s a drug Jim but not as we know it.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Whatever happened to Angel dust as that drug was reported to produce hulk-like strength in the 80’s? Has it returned as monkey dust?
    Same family I think. Amphetamines - inhibit pain receptors in the brain and enhance Dopamine response. Worst thing about this is that the effects last days rather than hours. Nasty bit of work.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

PCP is still around, predominantly in the US. Originally produced in 1926 as an anaesthetic it brings on hallucinations, both visual and auditory. Not a drug anyone I know has ever tried but I don’t think it really surfaced here in any vast quantities.

• Options
    Just read up on it; another nasty synthetic stimulant which is a slightly modified version of the principal active compound found in 'khat', as Leroy says. Appears to be highly potent and has just about all the undesirable side effects that you wouldn't want, e.g psychosis, paranoia etc. Apparently, was sold as 'bath salts' in US petrol stations for years....WTF

Why anyone would touch any of this shit, given that there are alternatives, is beyond me. Highly addictive and rapidly destructive. Not good.

Hold on. Maybe this explains the erratic behaviour of the contemptible Shitweasel that is currently running our club into the ground....just a thought.

Is this why he can dance all night at his age?
  • Options

Just read up on it; another nasty synthetic stimulant which is a slightly modified version of the principal active compound found in 'khat', as Leroy says. Appears to be highly potent and has just about all the undesirable side effects that you wouldn't want, e.g psychosis, paranoia etc. Apparently, was sold as 'bath salts' in US petrol stations for years....WTF

Why anyone would touch any of this shit, given that there are alternatives, is beyond me. Highly addictive and rapidly destructive. Not good.

Hold on. Maybe this explains the erratic behaviour of the contemptible Shitweasel that is currently running our club into the ground....just a thought.

Is this why he can dance all night at his age?

It's cheap.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Monkey dust was one of my favourite TV series of all time. As was brasseye.
  • Options

Listening to LBC and they have got a surreal segment about former Manchester United manager Lou Macari which frankly is like an episode of Brass Eye.

Apparently he now runs a drugs and homelessness centre in Stoke and there is an epidemic there sweeping the city of a drug called monkey dust (excellent BBC2 series back in the day).

Fair play and huge respect to Macari for doing this but so surreal hearing him talking about the effects of "monkey dust" I was expecting Chris Morris to pipe up about cake. Bizarre

I heard that interview as well .. great stuff from Lou .. let's hope he can make some progress or at least stem the tide of this vicious drug epidemic .. another caller to LBC made the point that if one were to put strychnine in another's tea cup, that would be attempted murder. Why are the dealers in potentially lethal, illegal drugs not treated as potential murderers ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds a great, caring man. Surprised he's not been recognised with honours given his good work and how they're often awarded to those without such merit.

Very sad to read about the loss of his son.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    He’s got a Great chip shop up at Old Trafford
  • Options
    Respect
  • Options
    Showed himself to be a thoroughly decent guy in the excellent BBC film 'Marvellous'. Hugely recommended on here several times, and enjoyable even for those who don't much like football.
    More power to the bloke, and good to have another positive for football to set against all the negative stuff thats out there.

• Options
    Just hope it doesn’t surface in our prisons. Dealing with the effects of spiced up cons is bad enough but monkey dust sounds worse. I’ve read that it increases paranoia massively, keeps users awake for up to three days and gives those under the influence hulk-like strength. Oh for the pre-MDT days when the ‘residents’ were happy with a bit of hash.
    PCP is still around, predominantly in the US. Originally produced in 1926 as an anaesthetic it brings on hallucinations, both visual and auditory. Not a drug anyone I know has ever tried but I don’t think it really surfaced here in any vast quantities.
    My only knowledge of PCP / Angel Dust is from Trading Places, when Louis is framed at the police station. 

Great film BTW, up there with Escape to Victory in the list of all time greatest pics.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Showed himself to be a thoroughly decent guy in the excellent BBC film 'Marvellous'. Hugely recommended on here several times, and enjoyable even for those who don't much like football.
    More power to the bloke, and good to have another positive for football to set against all the negative stuff thats out there.

Mr Macari appears truly to be a rare rare specimen. All the better for not relentlessly illuminating his works on soshal meeja to bathe in the perceived reflected glory, he just gets on with it.