Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Accrington v Charlton | Sat 18 Aug | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 18th August 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Ross Joyce (Cleveland)

Introduction

Well it’s not been a bad start so far and if you were to grade the Charlton performance to date then you'd have to give at least a 7/10 - One win and one defeat is our League performance to date whilst an early exit in the First Round of the League Cup was welcome news

It means we can now get back to the serious part of the season with an important week coming up for the Addicks - Three games in the next week with two of those coming at the Valley means that the League table could start to show a bit of shape... It all begins though with a trip to a side that we've not faced since an FA Cup tie in 1924; Accrington Stanley!!

The Opposition
Name: Accrington Stanley | Manager: John Coleman
Ground: The Crown Ground

Despite Football being invented in 1992, the original Accrington were part of the very first Football League, that side didn’t achieve much and were dissolved in 1896, the current team in fact being the third Accrington from that original side... With one of the lowest budgets not just at this level yet also League Two; Stanley after a few seasons of heart ache in the Play-Offs would romp to the League Two title last season ahead of favourites: Luton Town... Favourites to go down, Accrington and John Coleman shouldn’t be underestimated and like Exeter in 2011 or AFC Wimbledon 2017, may yet surprise a good few fans as this will be a side used to winning!!

Like any promoted side; teams will always receive interest from clubs further up the Football League chain and Accrington in the summer were no different - Despite successfully keeping hold of top scorer: Billy Kee (congratulations to him on the birth of his second child this week), Ipswich would swoop with a double signing with Kayden Jackson and Janoi Donacien, the latter initially joining the Tractor Boys on loan...

Although the best bit of business for Stanley would be tying Sean McConville down to a new contract, the midfielder is their only scorer this season and will be key to any result for our opponents on Saturday... The strangest of signings in the entire Transfer Window had to involve Andrew Mangan though, the experienced Striker would sign for Bala Town in June yet moved back to League One on deadline day without ever kicking a ball for the Welsh Premier side.

Charlton Team News
Well we shouldn’t really be surprised should we...? With Lee Bowyer yet to name a seven man bench it was no surprise to see a very youthful squad against Milton Keynes the other night and the outcome was even less of a surprise!!

Few of those who appeared in the League Cup will return this weekend (provided there are no training ground injuries) which means it'll likely be as you were from the opening win against Shrewsbury; both George Lapslie and Albie Morgan have impressed since making the step up this term and whilst the former was rested this midweek, you'd expect Morgan to return to the bench with Mark Marshall starting, three senior games in a week may be a bit too soon for the latest academy graduate to show potential.

In positive news; Tariqe Fosu released a typically cryptic Instagram post this week so could he be set for a return?

Phillips
Bauer | Sarr | Solly
Marshall | Lapslie | Aribo | Pratley | Page
Taylor | Grant

Substitutes Bench: Steer | Dijksteel | Morgan | Fosu | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild | Bielik

Prediction
In Sunderland and Shrewsbury we've probably faced two of the hardest teams in the division and now face the easy trip to face Accrington - Unfortunately football isn’t that simple; Accrington won’t be easy, they'll get players behind the ball and will be tough to break down... Its games like this where Darren Pratley's experience will be oh so important, whoever gets the first goal will likely win the game, it’ll be that tight!!

*Note – For fans not travelling; Accrington like Charlton have not signed up to the iFollow service so streaming via this Service WILL NOT be available for Saturday's game

Comments

• Who are they?
  • Accrington gifted a home win... 1-0
  • Can see us sneaking a win, although head says 1-1 draw.

Un point!
  • Seven on the bench this week?
    2-1 Charlton
  • I’ve been a Charlton supporter for the best part of 35 years.

If we were to lose to Accrington Stanley I think it might be the lowest point.
  • Get Bielik on that subs bench!!
  • Steer has gotta come into the team now .. Accrington got hammered in midweek at Mansfield following a decent win at the Pirates and a loss at home to the Gills .. inconsistency seems to be the word and the loss at Mansfield suggests that their second string players are not especially up to the task

Nice little club is the Stanley, but it's dog eat rabbit and we need to win this .. even so, I'd be happy with a draw

Accrington Stanley 1v CAFC 2
  • Nine of us leaving on the 9.03 from kings cross.
    I expect nothing less than a win.
    3.1 to the mighty Addick s

Probably in place of Fosu, not way would we throw him in this quickly would we?
  • Sponsored links:

Nah... that was the defeat @ Dagenham & Redbridge under Chris Powell

Edited, unfortunately would see Taylor Maloney as the one to miss out
  • I don’t think Fosu will be in the squad at all, he hasn’t had any minutes and they did say it’ll be more like September, no way only two weeks into the season.

Igor also done something similar on social media, I think it just indicates that they’re nearly ready to return to training or has just started training again.

Phillips
    Solly Bauer Sarr
    Dijksteel Aribo Pratley Page
    Lapslie
    Taylor Grant

Steer, Bielik, Morgan, Maloney, Marshall, Ajose, Hackett-Fairchild

Accrington Stanley 0-3 Charlton Athletic
    Taylor (2)
    Aribo
  • I'd like us to stick with 3-5-2 unless Bowyer has a good reason not to.

Listening to CharltonLive he played Solly as the left CB as he didn't want Whalley (who he called their best player) running at Sarr. Their other winger was taller so he didn't want long diagonals aimed towards Solly. So unless Accrington have similar strengths then we'd probably see Sarr to the left and Solly to the right and Bauer central.

I'd be surprised if Bielik starts, hopefully he can at least be on the bench. Surely Steer will be there as well.
  • Certainly not going to under estimate Accrington, you have to show every team respect , and win the battles in front of you , i hope the lads put in a shift , and give the fans some much needed hope.

I’ve been a Charlton supporter for the best part of 35 years.

Nah... that was the defeat @ Dagenham & Redbridge under Chris Powell
    How about the defeat at Northwich Victoria - live on TV!

Really must win games like this if we are to mount a serious challenge. 2-0 to us.
    Would still put the Dagenham game ahead of the Northwich game... the latter was on TV and was in the FA Cup, was never going to end well

The Dagenham game on the other hand was part of an awful run under Powell
  • Scoham said:

I'd like us to stick with 3-5-2 unless Bowyer has a good reason not to.

Listening to CharltonLive he played Solly as the left CB as he didn't want Whalley (who he called their best player) running at Sarr. Their other winger was taller so he didn't want long diagonals aimed towards Solly. So unless Accrington have similar strengths then we'd probably see Sarr to the left and Solly to the right and Bauer central.

I'd be surprised if Bielik starts, hopefully he can at least be on the bench. Surely Steer will be there as well.

One of their goals at The Valley last season involved Whalley skinning Solly and sticking it in the corner I think?
  • Too much internal rhyme in that sentence ffs
  • Cup game let me down, but still feeling confident, 0-3 win. I expect Steer in goal and Bielik on the bench, cannot see Fosu in the squad yet but always hopeful
  • Sponsored links:

• Comfortable afternoon at home 4-0
  • Comfortable afternoon at home 4-0

We are playing away
  • ross1 said:

Comfortable afternoon at home 4-0

We are playing away
    He means sitting in his armchair with a cold one following on Charlton Life.
  • edited August 2018
    Redrobo said:

ross1 said:

Comfortable afternoon at home 4-0

We are playing away
    He means sitting in his armchair with a cold one following on Charlton Life.
    I know, meant to be a bad joke. Hopefully following the match thread :smiley:
  • I think Bowyer will start 4-4-2 with the same players as last Saturday and only move to 3 at the back if he needs too.
  • 0 - 0 to thrill the travelling hordes.
  • Stunning away win 1-2.
  • Can't see past a 5-0 defeat.
  • First game of the season, despite the chaos in the club at large LB seems to have largely nailed down the performance on the pitch with two decent outings in the League (the midweek game was always going to be a non-starter).

I reckon we'll have this one. Can see a 3-1 win, Taylor to score first. Might even put a few quid on it... COYR