Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible live singers

Comments

• Options
    Missed It said:

Autotune has a lot to answer for - twenty years of making singers sound far better than they really are. It's absolutely everywhere now. Even the very best singers use it when recording. Maybe I'm a grungy old bloke but I think it's built an unrealistic expectation of what most live performers can achieve.

Having said that, Chris Martin is pants, no matter how much computer assistance you give him.

Yep autotune has cocked up peoples expectations, however whenever anyone watches the X-Factor and the contestant chosen to sing at the live on the shows before the vote, are all autotuned, not only that, each song is 90 seconds and already have the singers vocal, slightly back in the mix. So basically anyone can sound good.

All artists want their studio work to be at the best product it can, 99% of artists will use autotune these days.
    Back in the old days before autotune, all artists still wanted to sound their best, so instead of singing the same song for hours on end, and hopefully getting every note correct, they used to do 4-5 versions and the engineer/editor would cobble together the best lines of the song. So its always gone on to a degree.
    There are some singers that sing very well, but I just dont like their voices.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Greenie said:

anthony kiedis of the red hot chili peppers. I love them but jesus the guy cant sing live, especially when frusciante was in the band, he was surrounded by arguably the best bass player and guitarist in the world which made it stand out even more.

Ok ill bite, do fuck off.......HaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHa. Fucking hell !
    You laugh but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/7571582/Chili-Peppers-John-Frusciante-named-best-guitarist.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-bassists-of-all-time-10325/2-flea-103314/
    That first article has the guitarist from Radiohead in there as well as Prince, both undoubtedly talented but nowhere near top 10.

It also has Kirk Hammett from Metallica, when it’s quite widely regarded that the guitar talent in that band really is James Hetfield (a definite top 10 player).

Slash takes the crown IMO
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    cafctom said:

Greenie said:

anthony kiedis of the red hot chili peppers. I love them but jesus the guy cant sing live, especially when frusciante was in the band, he was surrounded by arguably the best bass player and guitarist in the world which made it stand out even more.

Ok ill bite, do fuck off.......HaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHa. Fucking hell !
    You laugh but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/7571582/Chili-Peppers-John-Frusciante-named-best-guitarist.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-bassists-of-all-time-10325/2-flea-103314/
    That first article has the guitarist from Radiohead in there as well as Prince, both undoubtedly talented but nowhere near top 10.

It also has Kirk Hammett from Metallica, when it’s quite widely regarded that the guitar talent in that band really is James Hetfield (a definite top 10 player).

all very different guitar players, but i'd say frusciante's skill can mesh into just about any genre. He's also probably the reason behind the chili peppers huge success in the early noughties as each time he's gone out the band their music has been very mediocre. Not to mention the incredible depth of his solo work which touches on most genres you can care to mention. Not to say the others you have mentioned arent possibly better players, but to laugh at the suggestion that frusciante is an incredible guitar player and flea being an incredible bass player just shows ignorance.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Greenie said:

You laugh but:

Still laughing, first link was for post punk guitar players, it had Johnny Marr and Jack White FFS.
    Second link was from Rolling Stone magazine. I dont know many serious musicians who read Rolling Stone. That said Entwistle is a good shout, but he has one style, but Flea.......hahahaha.

The best ever guitar player can only be taken from this list of four - Stevie Ray Vaughn, EC, Hendrix and Billy Gibbons. Theres these four and everyone else.

For me, one of the best bass players is Pino Paladino, the bloke is blinding.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

cafcfan said:

Only one winner here, surely. Yoko Ono. Enjoy - from about 2:15 in. (It comes as no surprise that the Zappa released version was called A Small Eternity With Yoko Ono.) Quite amusing though that Zappa tells the band beforehand what key it's going to be in!

https://youtu.be/G18aGDMy5Y4

I've never seen that before. I'm not sure I'd describe Yoko as singing. More wailing and howling.. the whole thing sounds like drug fueled jam, because that's exactly what it was.
    It may surprise you, but Zappa never did drugs - and his band won't have been, either. He would sack any musicians that put substance use above the music.

It's kind of ironic, because when people first see the fella (or listen to his music) they assume he is the archetypal drug fuelled musician. But no, his genius was not chemically assisted.

As for Lennon, though; my personal opinion is that he must have been taking some heavy shit to fall for Ono......
    I didn't know that. I wrongly assumed he was part of that thing. Especially given his stylings. I struggled to get in to Zapped music, too nonsensical for the grove in my brain.

I'm sure Lennon was off his nut when he slipped Yoko Ono his penis.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

You laugh but:

Still laughing, first link was for post punk guitar players, it had Johnny Marr and Jack White FFS.
    Second link was from Rolling Stone magazine. I dont know many serious musicians who read Rolling Stone. That said Entwistle is a good shout, but he has one style, but Flea.......hahahaha.

The best ever guitar player can only be taken from this list of four - Stevie Ray Vaughn, EC, Hendrix and Billy Gibbons. Theres these four and everyone else.

One of the best bass players is Pino Paladino, the bloke is blinding.
    I never said they were the greatest of all time? Just that they were the best players at their instruments making music at the time.
  • Options
    Guy Garvey has a crap voice and can't sing.... Ian Brown already mentioned.... Suggs....oh dear....

Don't agree with whoever put David Byrne...saw him at Hammersmith in June (and seeing him again in Oct) and thought his voice was still the same as it ever was ;-)
  • Options

cafctom said:

Greenie said:

You laugh but:

all very different guitar players, but i'd say frusciante's skill can mesh into just about any genre. He's also probably the reason behind the chili peppers huge success in the early noughties as each time he's gone out the band their music has been very mediocre. Not to mention the incredible depth of his solo work which touches on most genres you can care to mention. Not to say the others you have mentioned arent possibly better players, but to laugh at the suggestion that frusciante is an incredible guitar player and flea being an incredible bass player just shows ignorance.
    No mate, to state that they are the best ever shows a top level of ignorance. What you end is, that you like them.
    I saw the RHC at the O2 about 7 years ago, really enjoyed the show, until they absolutely murdered a Hendrix song, cant remember what it was but it was awful. Like I say I like the band, they are all very very good at what they do, but the best..........?
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

Roger Daltrey, Christine McVie and Neil Diamond. All these voices are a bit shit now.

I saw Neil Diamond on his last UK tour only last year and his voice was fine and as strong as ever.
    The reason I didn't go last year was his voice is a shadow of what it was.
    Like Daltrey and McCartney who I have both seen the past few years. Sounds okay on the night, but is really poor to how they were 30 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greenie said:

cafctom said:

Greenie said:

You laugh but:

No mate, to state that they are the best ever shows a top level of ignorance. What you end is, that you like them.
    I saw the RHC at the O2 about 7 years ago, really enjoyed the show, until they absolutely murdered a Hendrix song, cant remember what it was but it was awful. Like I say I like the band, they are all very very good at what they do, but the best..........?
    When did i say they were the best ever? Maybe learn to read before going off on some bizarre HAHahahahHAHAHAhaha rant please. It just shows plain ignorance really.
  • Options

When did i say they were the best ever? Maybe learn to read before going off on some bizarre HAHahahahHAHAHAhaha rant please. It just shows plain ignorance really.

Right here memory man.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Greenie said:

Right here memory man.

yup.. in the world.. not of all time. Also note the "arguably". Odd thing to pick up on in a thread about singers anyway..
  • Options
    Kevin Rowland. Saw him and thought he was mucking about. Then realised he was actually being serious.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Right here memory man.

yup.. in the world.. not of all time. Also note the "arguably". Odd thing to pick up on in a thread about singers anyway..

You know and I know what you meant mate. Nice try.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Right here memory man.

You know and I know what you meant mate. Nice try.

Erm.. okay? A good way of saving face for you i suppose.

I meant literally what i wrote and i went into further clarification after. A weird thing to get your back up about anyway.
  • Options
    Anyway, anyone know any bad live singers?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

You meant guitar players

You know and i know what you meant mate, nice try.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Kevin Rowland. Saw him and thought he was mucking about. Then realised he was actually being serious.

Saw Dexys a few times when they started out - he was decent enough back then.

One of the weirdest voices I heard was the late Billy Mackenzie who sang with the Associates - an acquired taste.
  • Options

Uboat said:

You meant guitar players

You know and i know what you meant mate, nice try.
    Here's my list of the four worst singers. There are no other bad singers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

Roger Daltrey, Christine McVie and Neil Diamond. All these voices are a bit shit now.

I saw Neil Diamond on his last UK tour only last year and his voice was fine and as strong as ever.
    Like Daltrey and McCartney who I have both seen the past few years. Sounds okay on the night, but is really poor to how they were 30 years ago.
    "You didnt go last year", but are still able to judge - hmm.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

Correct, I am of that opinion. I'm fairly confident that most people commenting on singers in this thread have not see them on their latest tour.
  • Options
    Van Morrison. He just shouts and covers the front two rows with spit.
  • Options
    Pringle said:

Van Morrison. He just shouts and covers the front two rows with spit.

Shouted and covered
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Any bands that have singers who scream.

Their vocal chords are usually ruined after a couple of years, look at the Bring Me the Horizon singer as evidence.

My opera singer friend says "Singers Nodules" are common with people that shout rather than sing. He's very "sniffy" about certain popular singers who he says are rubbish. Rod Stewart and Elton John to name but two. Apparently surgery is necessary in the worst cases. His girlfriend likes to point out that they've all made shed loads more money than he has though.
    Opera singers get nodules, and a number of them have had surgery as a consequence. Imagine singing Wagner for 3 hours without a mic over an orchestra. Ultimately the voice can't sing that loud for that long without damaging itself.

Its the same for any profession that involves a large usage of the voice. Listening to Pep in the City doc on Amazon his throat sounded completely busted.

• Options
    Dave Mustaine from Megadeth. I’m a big fan of them as a band, one of my favourites growing up. He has a unique voice on studio records, but live it sounds like a cat is being strangled as the complexity of the guitar work in the rhythm parts makes it hard for him to strain out the words as it is.
  • Options
    Back in the 90s it seemed like all my favourite indie bands could neither sing or play their instruments, at least based on their appearances on TFI Friday.
  • Options
    David Gedge. But at least hes the same on recordings as live.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

Correct, I am of that opinion. I'm fairly confident that most people commenting on singers in this thread have not see them on their latest tour.
    I make my comnent because my favourite singer, Brian Wilson, has lost it vocally and is carried by his excellent band. With ND his voice, to me, shows no signs of deterioration.
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

PeterGage said:

PopIcon said:

I make my comnent because my favourite singer, Brian Wilson, has lost it vocally and is carried by his excellent band. With ND his voice, to me, shows no signs of deterioration.
    Poor old Brian. Actually his voice is more fucked than any non singers mentioned on this thread. Like his mind, actually gone.

Beach boys, UB40, East 17 all still rolling.