Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Terrible live singers

Comments

• Options
    Before the time of most on here probably but many years ago we went to see Pat Boone in concert. Dear me. He was dreadful and we left at the interval. Freebie tickets though so we couldn't complain.
  • Options
    I think Ian Brown is kind of meant to sound a bit rough like that, a bit like Shaun Ryder / John Power (Cast) / Alex Turner (Arctic Monkeys) etc.
  • Options
    Old men in "voices are now shot" shock.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Tim Burgess was awful when I saw the Charltans years back and so was Pete Doherty with the Libertines a year or so back at Brixton.
    But it’s live music with mistakes, ad-libs, warts and all, the way it should be not Karaoke reality show nonsense.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Autotune has a lot to answer for - twenty years of making singers sound far better than they really are. It's absolutely everywhere now. Even the very best singers use it when recording. Maybe I'm a grungy old bloke but I think it's built an unrealistic expectation of what most live performers can achieve.

Having said that, Chris Martin is pants, no matter how much computer assistance you give him.

Autotune is increasingly being used on live performances these days.
    Artist still receives his untreated vocal back through foldback but audience mix is autotuned.

• Options
    IdleHans said:

David Gedge. But at least hes the same on recordings as live.

Wouldn't say he was terrible, always liked his vocals personally while not claiming him a great singer at all
  • Options

Tim Burgess was awful when I saw the Charltans years back and so was Pete Doherty with the Libertines a year or so back at Brixton.
    But it’s live music with mistakes, ad-libs, warts and all, the way it should be not Karaoke reality show nonsense.

Pete Doherty sounds shit on albums though
  • Options
    I saw Jethro Tull at the Albert Hall in April and Ian Anderson's voice is definitely not what it was and he was also often singing half a beat or so behind the band. Not sure why that is: foldback/earpiece issues or just the brain reacting more slowly. Enjoyed the gig, though.
  • Options
    Saw Jethro Tull a couple of years ago and Ian Anderson had another bloke on stage doing much of the singing for him as his voice was so shot.

Also saw some recent video of Phil Collins and he is in such a bad way. Supposedly retired a few years ago but had a recent comeback that looks like he is in very poor health, sitting down for the whole concert and wheezing his way through what are already pretty awful songs - not a pretty sight.

A really terrible live singer in terms of completely overdoing it is Glenn Hughes when he joined Deep Purple in the 70s - awful shrieking combined with cringeworthy faux- soul stylings that totally ruined their sound.
  • Options
    Ian Brown live at the Hammersmith Palais, completely tuneless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I thought this was just for British singers. If we're going worldwide, Bob Dylan was absolutely awful live at the hop farm a few years ago. 1 of the greatest songwriters of all time though

I was there and I concur which was a great shame because I love him but that's the risk you take with Robert Z
  • Options
    Interesting thread this. I am usually in accord with Greenie musically but before I post on bad live singers I just have to comment on his choice of the four best guitarists. Can go along with SRV, EC and Hendrix but Billy Gibbons? No sorry it has to be Jeff Beck just watch the BBC4 documentary “still on the run” Beck is more than a country mile in front of anyone.

Anyway keeping in the guitarist theme two of the worst live vocalist I have ever seen were Alvin Lee from Ten Years After and Rory Gallagher both terrific players but lousy singers.

Regarding Roger Daltry please give me a break! Great frontman and a powerful singer.
  • Options

Saw Jethro Tull a couple of years ago and Ian Anderson had another bloke on stage doing much of the singing for him as his voice was so shot.

Also saw some recent video of Phil Collins and he is in such a bad way. Supposedly retired a few years ago but had a recent comeback that looks like he is in very poor health, sitting down for the whole concert and wheezing his way through what are already pretty awful songs - not a pretty sight.

A really terrible live singer in terms of completely overdoing it is Glenn Hughes when he joined Deep Purple in the 70s - awful shrieking combined with cringeworthy faux- soul stylings that totally ruined their sound.

Phil Collins recently mooted the idea of a Genesis reunion, but only if his son could play drums. Outrageous nepotism favouring a bang average drummer imo.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/phil-collins-genesis-reunion-son-drums-2367156
  • Options
    edited August 2018

Interesting thread this. I am usually in accord with Greenie musically but before I post on bad live singers I just have to comment on his choice of the four best guitarists. Can go along with SRV, EC and Hendrix but Billy Gibbons? No sorry it has to be Jeff Beck just watch the BBC4 documentary “still on the run” Beck is more than a country mile in front of anyone.

Anyway keeping in the guitarist theme two of the worst live vocalist I have ever seen were Alvin Lee from Ten Years After and Rory Gallagher both terrific players but lousy singers.

Regarding Roger Daltry please give me a break! Great frontman and a powerful singer.

@daveaddick - Re The Reverend Billy G. probably just personal taste but I think he stands alone as one of the greats, his tone, space and choice of notes are what do it for me and many others. And of course Hendrix named him as “America’s best young guitar player” during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson." So thats good enough for me.

I cant, however, agree about Jeff Beck, not in a month of sundays. For me he's not even top 10. I cant stand the noises he makes on a guitar, so we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

I am reminded though, I think it was Clapton who when asked, 'who was the greatest guitar player', said 'probably some 19 year old kid in a garage somewhere who you will never hear of' Mind you he was probably off his nut.

Re Daltrey I agree, for me he is one of the 'old guard' who's voice has changed but he has managed it well, and still has the power and control.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

@daveaddick - Re The Reverend Billy G. probably just personal taste but I think he stands alone as one of the greats, his tone, space and choice of notes are what do it for me and many others. And of course Hendrix named him as “America’s best young guitar player” during an appearance on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson." So thats good enough for me.

Re Daltrey I agree, for me he is one of the 'old guard' who's voice has changed but he has managed it well, and still has the power and control.
    Can't believe you're saying he's the best of all time. What about stevie ray vaughan? Jimi hendrix?

Unbelievable.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Can't believe you're saying he's the best of all time. What about stevie ray vaughan? Jimi hendrix?

Unbelievable.
    Let it go mate, you really lead a sad and lonely life existence.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Unbelievable.
    Whoosh.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Unbelievable.
    Whoosh.
    Not really, you were on the argument thread a while back mentioning our forum chat about guitar players, trying to garner some sort of support for your views, and now your further comments on this one, I guess you wanna follow me around, chipping away. And its not the first time, is it.
    You appear to just wanna troll people who make valid points against your opinion.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Unbelievable.
    Whoosh.
    Not really, you were on the argument thread a while back mentioning our forum chat about guitar players, trying to garner some sort of support for your views, and now your further comments on this one, I guess you wanna follow me around, chipping away. And its not the first time, is it.
    You appear to just wanna troll people who make valid points against your opinion.
    U okay hun? xx
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Unbelievable.
    Whoosh.
    U okay hun? xx
    You may support the same team as me, and forum etiquette precludes me from calling you a bit of a dick, but I can think it...so, I think you're a bit of a dick.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Unbelievable.
    Whoosh.
    U okay hun? xx
    You may support the same team as me, and forum etiquette precludes me from calling you a bit of a dick, but I can think it...so, I think you're a bit of a dick.
    Ok. I don't think about you at all.

Back to the thread about bad live singers..
  • Options
    Jon Bon Jovi isn’t that bad considering his age. Though the strongest singer in that band was Ritchie Sambora.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Only one winner here, surely. Yoko Ono. Enjoy - from about 2:15 in. (It comes as no surprise that the Zappa released version was called A Small Eternity With Yoko Ono.) Quite amusing though that Zappa tells the band beforehand what key it's going to be in!

https://youtu.be/G18aGDMy5Y4

Jesus... That's not even singing. It's like a cat screaming :joy: And the comments below the video are hilarious...
  • Options
    Doesn't sound to me as if Daltrey has lost it. This from April 2018.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmotaD4kILY
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

anthony kiedis of the red hot chili peppers. I love them but jesus the guy cant sing live, especially when frusciante was in the band, he was surrounded by arguably the best bass player and guitarist in the world which made it stand out even more.

Ok ill bite, do fuck off.......HaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHa. Fucking hell !
    You laugh but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/7571582/Chili-Peppers-John-Frusciante-named-best-guitarist.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-bassists-of-all-time-10325/2-flea-103314/
    Still laughing, first link was for post punk guitar players, it had Johnny Marr and Jack White FFS.
    Second link was from Rolling Stone magazine. I dont know many serious musicians who read Rolling Stone. That said Entwistle is a good shout, but he has one style, but Flea.......hahahaha.

The best ever guitar player can only be taken from this list of four - Stevie Ray Vaughn, EC, Hendrix and Billy Gibbons. Theres these four and everyone else.

One of the best bass players is Pino Paladino, the bloke is blinding.
    I never said they were the greatest of all time? Just that they were the best players at their instruments making music at the time.
    Frusciante is streets ahead of Slash who is very much a one trick pony. Listen to Blood, sugar, sex, magic. There is categorically no way on earth Slash could get any where close to Frusciantes chops. You only have to listen to the atrocious "Black or White" by MJ to hear that Slash cannot play funk.

As for Flea? Meh. There are much better players around. Pino, Marcus Miller and Joe Dart just for three.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07G4xhSefuI

Byrne. Sounds pretty good here.
  • Options
    Vinnie V. said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

anthony kiedis of the red hot chili peppers. I love them but jesus the guy cant sing live, especially when frusciante was in the band, he was surrounded by arguably the best bass player and guitarist in the world which made it stand out even more.

Ok ill bite, do fuck off.......HaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHHaHaHa. Fucking hell !
    You laugh but:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/7571582/Chili-Peppers-John-Frusciante-named-best-guitarist.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-top-ten-bassists-of-all-time-10325/2-flea-103314/
    Still laughing, first link was for post punk guitar players, it had Johnny Marr and Jack White FFS.
    Second link was from Rolling Stone magazine. I dont know many serious musicians who read Rolling Stone. That said Entwistle is a good shout, but he has one style, but Flea.......hahahaha.

The best ever guitar player can only be taken from this list of four - Stevie Ray Vaughn, EC, Hendrix and Billy Gibbons. Theres these four and everyone else.

One of the best bass players is Pino Paladino, the bloke is blinding.
    I never said they were the greatest of all time? Just that they were the best players at their instruments making music at the time.
    Frusciante is streets ahead of Slash who is very much a one trick pony. Listen to Blood, sugar, sex, magic. There is categorically no way on earth Slash could get any where close to Frusciantes chops. You only have to listen to the atrocious "Black or White" by MJ to hear that Slash cannot play funk.

As for Flea? Meh. There are much better players around. Pino, Marcus Miller and Joe Dart just for three.
    Careful mate, next thing you know some one will be claiming you said frusciante is literally Jesus.
  • Options
    Meatloaf. Annie Lennox. Elton John. Paul Young.