Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Tennis Open 2018

Comments

• Options
    Nishikori beats Cilic in yet another 5 set match
  • Options
    Djokovic easily gets past Millman and will face Nishikori in the semi's
  • Options
    Serena v Osaka in the final at the weekend.

Absolutely mental stat from the Osaka/Keys semi final... break points won: Keys 0/13, Osaka 3/4.

Osaka was mentally tougher and won the points that mattered.
  • Options
    Del Potro v Djokovic in the final.

Djokovic easily beating Nishikori, Del Potro 2-0 up on Nadal before Nadal retired with a knee injury.

Interesting fact is that Djokovic has lost the first US Open final he's played against any opponent.

2007 - Federer
    2010 - Nadal
    2012 - Murray
    2016 - Wawrinka
    2018 - Del Potro?
  • Options
    Gutted watching Nadal retire. Djok sweeps Nishikori aside. Can see a 5 set final.
  • Options
    Jimmy Connors going for most number of words without taking a breath waffle award.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Hysterical yank crowd wetting themselves and Williams acting like a spoilt child.

Incredible match from Osaka who rose above that crap coming from the other side of the court.
  • Options

Hysterical yank crowd wetting themselves and Williams acting like a spoilt child.

Incredible match from Osaka who rose above that crap coming from the other side of the court.

But Serena Williams got upset, so who cares who won 1 of the biggest tournaments in the world. It's not like this was the biggest moment in the young ladies career!!
  • Options
    Serena crossed a line over what is acceptable .

Shame as Osaka will hardly get any coverage for her win and they will probably say she only won as Williams lost it (literally!!)
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Osaka practically apologised for beating Williams. I hope that crowd never ever see another US champion. Scum.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Total lack of class from the crowd and Serena. Such a sore loser and acting as if entitled to win everything.
  • Options
    What happened out there ?
  • Options

What happened out there ?

Serena lost her shit when her coach got caught coaching her during the game, she also cracked a racket which earned her docked game and then called the umpire a thief. Fans booed at the end and the winner looked embarrassed to win the thing at the end.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Bottom line is Osaka beat her hollow and the point and game deductions were barely significant.
  • Options
    But she's a Mother?
  • Options

Bottom line is Osaka beat her hollow and the point and game deductions were barely significant.

You cant say that, the docked game was very crucial.

Instead of potentially making it 4-4 it went 3-5 and Osaka was serving for the match.

How you can say that us barely significant is beyond me
  • Options
    Thought the verbal abuse penalty was ridiculous, Ramos fucked up, and proceeded to make the situation worse.
  • Options
    Interesting to read Billy Jean King's comments on it as she supports Williams

'When a woman is emotional, she's "hysterical" and she's penalized for it. When a man does the same, he's "outspoken" and there are no repercussions. Thank you, @serenawilliams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same.'

Unfortunately they need to look @ Nick Kyrgios and the trouble he gets into... Funnily one occasion being at the 2014 US Open when he was given penalties for his language heard on court
  • Options

Interesting to read Billy Jean King's comments on it as she supports Williams

'When a woman is emotional, she's "hysterical" and she's penalized for it. When a man does the same, he's "outspoken" and there are no repercussions. Thank you, @serenawilliams, for calling out this double standard. More voices are needed to do the same.'

Unfortunately they need to look @ Nick Kyrgios and the trouble he gets into... Funnily one occasion being at the 2014 US Open when he was given penalties for his language heard on court

Indeed I have seen further statements where she wants parity with men on those occasions. Doesn't want parity with best of five sets though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Just watched the replay of that match and Williams was well beaten. Her treatment of the umpire was disgraceful telling him that she was not told she had a code violation yet everyone but her heard it. She crumbled after that and maybe she says she does not cheat but her coach is caught on camera giving her instructions. She was even chuntering at the end telling the umpire he owed her an apology.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I absolutely agree that men should be penalised for poor behaviour on court and I've seen some matches in this open especially where warnings and points deductions were not given where I think (FWIW) they should have (for instance Sousa). However on none of those occasions did the player accuse the umpire of being a liar and thief or call their integrity into question. Women and men should have parity, but that means that the men should be penalised, not that women shouldn't.

There is no way she would have had the confidence to do that without that appalling mob in the Arthur Ashe.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    How and why would the GOAT in the women's game need coaching during a match is beyond me. BUT her coach has come out and said he was trying to give her a signal so the umpire was correct but the shame is that Serena's paddy has tarnished Osaka's moment which is unforgivable.

Most great champions are sore losers but Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have all been gracious in defeat.

Serena Williams just comes across as a bully when her power tennis game lets her down.
  • Options
    What time does the men's final start UK time?
  • Options

9 I think .
  • Options

9 I think .
    I see the women's doubles final is in its final set, so should be over soon

Always seems weird to me to have other finals before the main event.
  • Options
    Williams has been fined $17,000
  • Options
    Djokovic wins US Open 3-0

6-3 7-6 6-3