Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An evening with Gavin Peacock (and Paul Elliot)

Comments

• I would need a takeaway before I get home because I suspect the portions will be on the small side.

Yep. It's a big plate, not much food type of place. But usually nice swirls of jus, where the food should be :smile:
    Last time I was there my starter turned up on a roofing slate.

• masicat said:

Im my opinion Peacock trying to raise a crowd on his Dads reputation. I suspect they think local Charlton supporters of a certain age will go along. I think they will be wrong. Glad the flyer has been produced in grey, because it looks to me like a dull and boring evening. Just to ensure it’s a real boring evening, a local boring estate agent is also involved. I suspect they will be able to hold this event at a corner table near the bar.

What a lovely, positive way to see a fundraising event.
    Most people would pick up on the fact this bloke is a religious bigot given past comments from him regarding marriage etc. Most people would work out that rather than being against a good fundraising event I was questioning the fundraiser. Lots of ways to raise money for good causes, this one doesn’t sit right with me. I also note this was treated with complete indifference on this forum. That was obviously because people have read about his comments and the fact he is far from a charitable personality. Looks to me like a night with Glenn Hoddle for the disabled.
  • Addickted said:

I would need a takeaway before I get home because I suspect the portions will be on the small side.

Yep. It's a big plate, not much food type of place. But usually nice swirls of jus, where the food should be :smile:

Yes, I'm a bit old school for meals.
    I prefer a meal with plenty of good food, served on a plate, accompanied by a knife and fork.
    I do not like food served on Alan Partridge style massive plates with loads of jus and little food.
    Nor do I favour, food served on slates or wooden boards or in baskets and with chips in metal buckets and the like :smile:
    I‘ll not be asking you round for dinner then Covered End.....I eat all my meals out of a bucket!
  • Addickted said:

I would need a takeaway before I get home because I suspect the portions will be on the small side.

Which you were allowed to keep as an incentive, had you have eaten there every day for two or three years that is, the idea being you could have retiled that long planned granny annex or garage roof at no extra cost material wise.
    Always read the small print at the bottom of the menu Nick!
  • £100!

Chapter One is, or was, a Michelin star restaurant.

Peanuts Malloy and me used to eat there all the time.
    How long has Chapter 2 been closed (Blackheath)?
    About a year. Guy retired.

Now it's The Ivy Cafe.
  • masicat said:

masicat said:

Im my opinion Peacock trying to raise a crowd on his Dads reputation. I suspect they think local Charlton supporters of a certain age will go along. I think they will be wrong. Glad the flyer has been produced in grey, because it looks to me like a dull and boring evening. Just to ensure it’s a real boring evening, a local boring estate agent is also involved. I suspect they will be able to hold this event at a corner table near the bar.

What a lovely, positive way to see a fundraising event.
    Most people would pick up on the fact this bloke is a religious bigot given past comments from him regarding marriage etc. Most people would work out that rather than being against a good fundraising event I was questioning the fundraiser. Lots of ways to raise money for good causes, this one doesn’t sit right with me. I also note this was treated with complete indifference on this forum. That was obviously because people have read about his comments and the fact he is far from a charitable personality. Looks to me like a night with Glenn Hoddle for the disabled.
    "Obviously"?

As no one else had mentioned that, including you, I'd say that was far from obvious. You said none of this in your previous posts

Also there wasn't complete indifference as this thread shows, little interest yes but £100 aren't for most, me included.

You make huge assumptions about other people having the same views as you. If that is what you think, that's your view but why try to validate those views by claiming, with no evidence, that others share them.

• I'd love a copy of the poster signed by the two stars. I bet Steve Jones has got some.
  • Has Paul Elliot just misinterpreted the 'roof' part of the charity?
  • Keep going everyone. Here from the argument thread
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2018
    cabbles said:

Keep going everyone. Here from the argument thread

You're supposed to put the fire out not pour petrol on it! :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

Keep going everyone. Here from the argument thread

You're supposed to put the fire out not pour petrol on it! :wink:
    A leopard never changes it's spots.
  • Example here of one that Gavin prepared earlier ... could be quite a riveting evening in store. Does Chapter One have a bar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AStwXMQaBA
  • Was it something I said?
  • Stig said:

I think Masicat is absolutely right to question this event. For me it's not good enough to say 'it's a fundraiser' and assume that that makes everything alright. I know that my views may be a little old fashioned, but personally the idea that schools need to raise six figure sums doesn't sit right with me. We're not talking about a jumble sale to help fund free places on a school trip. We're talking about £130k for major works. Then there's the question of what those major works are. You might think from the name 'Raise the Roof' that they're trying to remedy some skyward structural problems. Are the little kids getting wet? Is there a danger that the roof could fall in on them? No, not at all. They wan't £130k so that they can switch their rooms around. So the 'Raise The Roof' brand is at best a little misleading and at worst downright disingenuous. Is this event on the school website? If it is, it's hidden away well. It doesn't appear on the home page, the events page, the calendar or even the 'Raise the Roof' page. And there's something weird about that to; maybe my search skills aren't up to scratch this morning but the Raise the Roof stuff can't be found from the School's homepage, or any of the major sub-pages. I had to search Google to find it. That might all be quite innocent, but it doesn't exactly give it any credibility. Finally, I want to know what this school is teaching. A quick look at their ethos, tells me all I want to know. Phrases like "develop their God-given talents", "instil in our children the desire to contribute positively to their... church", "aware of... God’s purposes for all humanity" highlight the fact that this isn't a normal school but is one that's indoctrinating little kids to believe in a backward middle eastern cult. This is the 21st Century, we shouldn't be filling kids' heads with metaphysical nonsense. We should be teaching them critical thinking skills, not reliance on fictional characters. If Gavin Peacock wants to pursue his god-hobby then let him do it with like minded consenting adults. I, for one, won't be helping him to push this nonsense onto the next generation.

Oh, and Masicat's also right in that it does look as dull as ditchwater.

Very very well said!
  • Stig said:

I think Masicat is absolutely right to question this event. For me it's not good enough to say 'it's a fundraiser' and assume that that makes everything alright. I know that my views may be a little old fashioned, but personally the idea that schools need to raise six figure sums doesn't sit right with me. We're not talking about a jumble sale to help fund free places on a school trip. We're talking about £130k for major works. Then there's the question of what those major works are. You might think from the name 'Raise the Roof' that they're trying to remedy some skyward structural problems. Are the little kids getting wet? Is there a danger that the roof could fall in on them? No, not at all. They wan't £130k so that they can switch their rooms around. So the 'Raise The Roof' brand is at best a little misleading and at worst downright disingenuous. Is this event on the school website? If it is, it's hidden away well. It doesn't appear on the home page, the events page, the calendar or even the 'Raise the Roof' page. And there's something weird about that to; maybe my search skills aren't up to scratch this morning but the Raise the Roof stuff can't be found from the School's homepage, or any of the major sub-pages. I had to search Google to find it. That might all be quite innocent, but it doesn't exactly give it any credibility. Finally, I want to know what this school is teaching. A quick look at their ethos, tells me all I want to know. Phrases like "develop their God-given talents", "instil in our children the desire to contribute positively to their... church", "aware of... God’s purposes for all humanity" highlight the fact that this isn't a normal school but is one that's indoctrinating little kids to believe in a backward middle eastern cult. This is the 21st Century, we shouldn't be filling kids' heads with metaphysical nonsense. We should be teaching them critical thinking skills, not reliance on fictional characters. If Gavin Peacock wants to pursue his god-hobby then let him do it with like minded consenting adults. I, for one, won't be helping him to push this nonsense onto the next generation.

You did a google search to find that St Nicholas school is a Christian school? Think the clue is in the name.

All schools now have to raise money for things, government budgets have led to that, my boys school has spent a year or 2 raising money for a new play ground. They have put on a number of events which parents, including me have contributed to as they have been fun.

It would appear St Nicks is using the money to reconfigure to specifically provide a brand new creative learning studio, fully equipped with the latest technology for teaching the arts, IT and science and then kit it out to with the vast bulk of the £130K being provided by the administer of the school and only a small part raised through events.

Can’t see the big deal personally and I should think it is aimed at parents, who given this is a Christian school may find G Peacock interesting, rather than aimed at Charlton fans necessarily.
  • Stig said:

You did a google search to find that St Nicholas school is a Christian school? Think the clue is in the name.

All schools now have to raise money for things, government budgets have led to that, my boys school has spent a year or 2 raising money for a new play ground. They have put on a number of events which parents, including me have contributed to as they have been fun.

It would appear St Nicks is using the money to reconfigure to specifically provide a brand new creative learning studio, fully equipped with the latest technology for teaching the arts, IT and science and then kit it out to with the vast bulk of the £130K being provided by the administer of the school and only a small part raised through events.

Can’t see the big deal personally and I should think it is aimed at parents, who given this is a Christian school may find G Peacock interesting, rather than aimed at Charlton fans necessarily.
    No, I did a Google search to check that there was actually a link between the event and the school.
  • Sponsored links:

• Example here of one that Gavin prepared earlier ... could be quite a riveting evening in store. Does Chapter One have a bar?

He must be in the kitchen of Chapter One the plates are stacked up behind him
  • Is Chapter One what used to be the fantail donkeys years ago?
  • drewman said:

Is Chapter One what used to be the fantail donkeys years ago?

Yes
  • Stig said:

I think Masicat is absolutely right to question this event. For me it's not good enough to say 'it's a fundraiser' and assume that that makes everything alright. I know that my views may be a little old fashioned, but personally the idea that schools need to raise six figure sums doesn't sit right with me. We're not talking about a jumble sale to help fund free places on a school trip. We're talking about £130k for major works. Then there's the question of what those major works are. You might think from the name 'Raise the Roof' that they're trying to remedy some skyward structural problems. Are the little kids getting wet? Is there a danger that the roof could fall in on them? No, not at all. They want £130k so that they can switch their rooms around. So the 'Raise The Roof' brand is at best a little misleading and at worst downright disingenuous. Is this event on the school website? If it is, it's hidden away well. It doesn't appear on the home page, the events page, the calendar or even the 'Raise the Roof' page. And there's something weird about that too; maybe my search skills aren't up to scratch this morning but the Raise the Roof stuff can't be found from the School's homepage, or any of the major sub-pages. I had to search Google to find it. That might all be quite innocent, but it doesn't exactly give it any credibility. Finally, I want to know what this school is teaching. A quick look at their ethos, tells me all I want to know. Phrases like "develop their God-given talents", "instil in our children the desire to contribute positively to their... church", "aware of... God’s purposes for all humanity" highlight the fact that this isn't a normal school but is one that's indoctrinating little kids to believe in a backward middle eastern cult. This is the 21st Century, we shouldn't be filling kids' heads with metaphysical nonsense. We should be teaching them critical thinking skills, not reliance on fictional characters. If Gavin Peacock wants to pursue his god-hobby then let him do it with like minded consenting adults. I, for one, won't be helping him to push this nonsense onto the next generation.

Masicat always right
  • Belgium and Morrocan themed food seems a strange mix though
  • CAFCsayer said:

Belgium and Morrocan themed food seems a strange mix though

Don't knock couscous and mayonnaise until you've tried it.

Dangerous stuff he’s spouting there, Jesus!
  • My faith in CL has been restored, thanks Stig.

Dangerous stuff he’s spouting there, Jesus!
    I knew there'd be a bit about him in there somewhere
  • For some reason I decided to watch the first few minutes of the video. He mentions playing over 600 games for team like, Chelsea, Newcastle and QPR and following in his fathers footsteps but no mention of Charlton! For that reason I'm not going:)