Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An evening with Gavin Peacock (and Paul Elliot)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

I think Masicat is absolutely right to question this event. For me it's not good enough to say 'it's a fundraiser' and assume that that makes everything alright. I know that my views may be a little old fashioned, but personally the idea that schools need to raise six figure sums doesn't sit right with me. We're not talking about a jumble sale to help fund free places on a school trip. We're talking about £130k for major works. Then there's the question of what those major works are. You might think from the name 'Raise the Roof' that they're trying to remedy some skyward structural problems. Are the little kids getting wet? Is there a danger that the roof could fall in on them? No, not at all. They want £130k so that they can switch their rooms around. So the 'Raise The Roof' brand is at best a little misleading and at worst downright disingenuous. Is this event on the school website? If it is, it's hidden away well. It doesn't appear on the home page, the events page, the calendar or even the 'Raise the Roof' page. And there's something weird about that too; maybe my search skills aren't up to scratch this morning but the Raise the Roof stuff can't be found from the School's homepage, or any of the major sub-pages. I had to search Google to find it. That might all be quite innocent, but it doesn't exactly give it any credibility. Finally, I want to know what this school is teaching. A quick look at their ethos, tells me all I want to know. Phrases like "develop their God-given talents", "instil in our children the desire to contribute positively to their... church", "aware of... God’s purposes for all humanity" highlight the fact that this isn't a normal school but is one that's indoctrinating little kids to believe in a backward middle eastern cult. This is the 21st Century, we shouldn't be filling kids' heads with metaphysical nonsense. We should be teaching them critical thinking skills, not reliance on fictional characters. If Gavin Peacock wants to pursue his god-hobby then let him do it with like minded consenting adults. I, for one, won't be helping him to push this nonsense onto the next generation.

Oh, and Masicat's also right in that it does look as dull as ditchwater.

That's a rational argument and I agree with most of it regarding religion and religious schools.

Nothing about the colour of the leaflet or that the sponsor is a local estate agent, which seemed to me Maiscat's main points as to why it was boring. You have made a valid argument but I don't see why the google search makes the event more or less real.

But regardless of it being a C of E School it, like most state schools, has to try and raise funds for extra building work or activities. And they are clear on what those facilities are.

As a state school they still have to teach the national curriculum and children can opt out of any religious element. Even if they weren't a C of E school they would still have to have a religious element in assembly (which I totally oppose).

• Options
    Listened to a few minutes, what a boring tosser.
  • Options
    Peacock and Elliott are entitled to support any cause they want, be they paid for it or do it from the goodness of their hearts, be it a popular cause or simply a money making cause ..
    and equally, all and sundry are entitled to either pay for some time in their company or choose not to so do .. it's as simple as that
  • Options

Peacock and Elliott are entitled to support any cause they want, be they paid for it or do it from the goodness of their hearts, be it a popular cause or simply a money making cause ..
    and equally, all and sundry are entitled to either pay for some time in their company or choose not to so do .. it's as simple as that

Has anyone said different?
  • Options
    No issue with the fund raiser but not for me, I know the school, well know people who's children have gone there. I'm still surprised in this day and age 'faith' schools get away with their admission criteria.

"The academy is open to all children regardless of race, colour or religion and the academy complies fully with its responsibilities under the Equality Act 2010"

Oh yes the wonderful Equalities Act: "Schools with a religious character (commonly known as faith schools) have certain exceptions to the religion or belief provisions which allow them to discriminate because of religion or belief in relation to admissions and in access to any benefit, facility or service."

If they opened their school to all they might get more than £24k pupil premium money......

That said I know of a few non religious parents who got their children in, money talks.
  • Options

Gavin almost ruined my sister's 8th birthday party by kicking his football right into the middle of her birthday cake. I still have the pics of her in
    tears.

Act of god mate, act of god.
  • Options
    Are you sure it weren’t Bailey’s pen - being so bad that it managed to rip a hole in the space/time continuum?
  • Options
    I assume Elliott is

Stig said:

I think Masicat is absolutely right to question this event. For me it's not good enough to say 'it's a fundraiser' and assume that that makes everything alright. I know that my views may be a little old fashioned, but personally the idea that schools need to raise six figure sums doesn't sit right with me. We're not talking about a jumble sale to help fund free places on a school trip. We're talking about £130k for major works. Then there's the question of what those major works are. You might think from the name 'Raise the Roof' that they're trying to remedy some skyward structural problems. Are the little kids getting wet? Is there a danger that the roof could fall in on them? No, not at all. They want £130k so that they can switch their rooms around. So the 'Raise The Roof' brand is at best a little misleading and at worst downright disingenuous. Is this event on the school website? If it is, it's hidden away well. It doesn't appear on the home page, the events page, the calendar or even the 'Raise the Roof' page. And there's something weird about that too; maybe my search skills aren't up to scratch this morning but the Raise the Roof stuff can't be found from the School's homepage, or any of the major sub-pages. I had to search Google to find it. That might all be quite innocent, but it doesn't exactly give it any credibility. Finally, I want to know what this school is teaching. A quick look at their ethos, tells me all I want to know. Phrases like "develop their God-given talents", "instil in our children the desire to contribute positively to their... church", "aware of... God’s purposes for all humanity" highlight the fact that this isn't a normal school but is one that's indoctrinating little kids to believe in a backward middle eastern cult. This is the 21st Century, we shouldn't be filling kids' heads with metaphysical nonsense. We should be teaching them critical thinking skills, not reliance on fictional characters. If Gavin Peacock wants to pursue his god-hobby then let him do it with like minded consenting adults. I, for one, won't be helping him to push this nonsense onto the next generation.

Oh, and Masicat's also right in that it does look as dull as ditchwater.

That's a rational argument and I agree with most of it regarding religion and religious schools.

Nothing about the colour of the leaflet or that the sponsor is a local estate agent, which seemed to me Maiscat's main points as to why it was boring. You have made a valid argument but I don't see why the google search makes the event more or less real.

But regardless of it being a C of E School it, like most state schools, has to try and raise funds for extra building work or activities. And they are clear on what those facilities are.

As a state school they still have to teach the national curriculum and children can opt out of any religious element. Even if they weren't a C of E school they would still have to have a religious element in assembly (which I totally oppose).

I have never taken to Elliot or Peacock for a variety of reasons. Having bought and sold in the Chislehurst area for over 40 years , I also took a particular dislike to Jonathon DeMaid who I felt once talked a buyer out of buying one of my properties by saying something that wasn’t totally correct. Also, as a printer, I can’t stand the colour grey, especially cool grey, as it was so hard to print or match on a litho press.

Now you can move on, and I will take my tongue out of my cheek.