Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lee Bowyer and the Nine Game Blocks

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

People expecting over 86 points...

Dushitaface will be on a selling spree in January so kiss goodbye those hopes.

He's not stupid, he knows how much he's losing each month and he knows the club is worth more in the Championship. Therefore, it's in his interests to sell us as an attractive proposition with future value.
    If thats the case why didnt Roland allow Bowyer to sign more players in the summer and so not force us to have such a small subs bench against Sunderland?
    The signings, permanent and loan, look pretty good to me and the team got off to a good start against Sunderland. Not letting somebody else warm the bench was a missed opportunity.
  • On course for 86. I just feel we will need a little more than that for the top 2.
  • Dazzler21 said:

People expecting over 86 points...

Dushitaface will be on a selling spree in January so kiss goodbye those hopes.

He's not stupid, he knows how much he's losing each month and he knows the club is worth more in the Championship. Therefore, it's in his interests to sell us as an attractive proposition with future value.
    If thats the case why didnt Roland allow Bowyer to sign more players in the summer and so not force us to have such a small subs bench against Sunderland?
    The signings, permanent and loan, look pretty good to me and the team got off to a good start against Sunderland. Not letting somebody else warm the bench was a missed opportunity.
    And yet had we gotten those signings in earlier and on perm deals (We're going to be facing ANOTHER summer of replacing key areas) then we'd probably have recorded a victory at Sunderland, the only reason they beat us was because it was clear the players on the pitch had run out of steam - Same with Peterborough, we could easily have won that match if were as strong as we are now

As Sage says... take August out of the equation and we're right up there.

Instead thanks to the typical dithering from Roland we're having to play catch up which we may not manage
  • edited December 2018
    We also don’t know how LB will react if the squad is depleted. I would imagine he would be extremely unhappy and would feel undermined in his aim- which is to “just win games”.
  • edited December 2018
    In terms of football, I would hate to rely on Duchatelet's intelligence. He can take all the credit he wants for Bowyer, but Robinson brought him in and he was given the job as the cheapest option. The big praise has to go to Bowyer as it was always going to be a challenge for him and he has risen to it. Timely to remind ourselves that Curbs was the cheap option when Lennie left.

It is also sensible to be able to realise that when you have the right people in charge, backing them will pay you dividends. We will see what Duchatelet does.
  • The other unknown factors are which of the promotion pack will blow up?

Last season it was Bradford City; the year before, Scunthorpe - who for 75% of the seaon had looked nailed on as promotion certainties.

And indeed, the other side of the coin ...... who is going to be the dark horse team who come from nowhere to at least grab a top 6 position?
    In recent years, Barnsley and Oohaah's mates have snatched a play off place with a strong late run.

• edited December 2018
    Yes, when the nerves kick in along with some key injuries. In all honesty, we can manage without Taylor for the odd game against weaker opposition, but how would we fare if we lost him for the season? It is very hard to achieve 2 points a game, but I think if you do that you usually will get promoted - the aim has to be trying to achieve that and whatever we end up with, see where we are.

Bowyer's blocks is just how he mentally approaches it, but I suppose if you fall short you have to make that up in a later block and if you do better, you have a bit of credit!
  • Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

43 points from 23 games, on track for 86 points from 46.

Would it be enough?

Play offs yes easily, and probably top 4.

Top 2 no way, not when there are 3 sides currently on track to get 94+ points.
    Dont see Luton sustaining their form for the entire season...
    Most people said that last year about Shrewsbury.
  • Thought it should be time to revisit this now half the season is gone.

43 points from 23 games, on track for 86 points from 46.

Would it be enough?

Play offs yes easily, and probably top 4.

Top 2 no way, not when there are 3 sides currently on track to get 94+ points.
    Dont see Luton sustaining their form for the entire season...
    Most people said that last year about Shrewsbury.
    True but Shrewsbury didnt go up...
  • Sponsored links:

• So today was game 27 and the final game of the third nine game block.

Missed the target by one point so now four points short of Bowyer's target
  • I make it we need to win the next 7 games to take us to an average of 2 pts a game which is what Luton in 2nd are averaging at the moment.
  • edited January 2019
    19 games to play and 43 points needed to get us to 90 which I suspect will put us in with a decent chance (although it’s looking like a difficult year with the form of the top teams, you could be looking at 95+ for 2nd place).

43 points could come from...

14 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses
    13 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses
  • 19 games to play and 43 points needed to get us to 90 which I suspect will put us in with a decent chance (although it’s looking like a difficult year with the form of the top teams, you could be looking at 95+ for 2nd place).

43 points could come from...

14 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses
    13 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses

I think we need 45 more points minimum for a total 92.

From 19 games that's
    15 wins 0 draws 4 losses
    14 wins 3 draws 2 losses
    13 wins 6 draws 0 losses

14 wins 3 draws 2 losses is the most feasible outcome. And of those 14 wins they must include Portsmouth and Luton at home while avoiding defeat at Peterborough.
  • Best part is that we’ve already played the likes of Pompey and Luton away. I feel much more confident of catching them while they still have to come to the Valley.
  • Best part is that we’ve already played the likes of Pompey and Luton away. I feel much more confident of catching them while they still have to come to the Valley.

Portsmouth's away form is ridiculous. 1 defeat in 17 league and cup games.
    Luton's not bad either. Just 7 defeats in 35 league games going back to last season.
  • Anyone thinking we're getting autos is nuts i tell thee!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Anyone thinking we're getting autos is nuts i tell thee!

Can't imagine Lee Bowyer would think like that.

Nobody knows right now which teams will be able to put a consistant run together ..... and which teams could falter.

It's all to play for.
  • Would love to see a video of his half time team talk yesterday.

Recently watched that Man City documentary and Guardiola’s matchday team talks were one of the most fascinating parts. Bowyer at half time yesterday certainly turned our play around.
  • Sponsored links:

Portsmouth's away form is ridiculous. 1 defeat in 17 league and cup games.
    Luton's not bad either. Just 7 defeats in 35 league games going back to last season.
    Portsmouths home form was amazing, until they played us

Missed the target by one point so now four points short of Bowyer's target
    Have faith, when all of the players are fit, we will sail through this league to the top.............anyone believe we will ever have all of our players fit?
  • edited September 2019
    At the recent Bromley Addicks meeting Lee Bowyer said that he breaks down the season into nine game sections.

He also said that to gain automatic promotion Charlton would need to be "in the 90s" pointswise LB expects to get six wins or maybe five wins and two draws from each nine game block. That equates to 18 or 17 points respectively.

There would be five of these nine game blocks in a season (5 x 9 = 45) so 18 points in each would mean 90 points.

Wonder if Lee is looking at the nine game blocks once again.

17 points after 9 games... on track for 85 points...
  • At the recent Bromley Addicks meeting Lee Bowyer said that he breaks down the season into nine game sections.

He also said that to gain automatic promotion Charlton would need to be "in the 90s" pointswise LB expects to get six wins or maybe five wins and two draws from each nine game block. That equates to 18 or 17 points respectively.

There would be five of these nine game blocks in a season (5 x 9 = 45) so 18 points in each would mean 90 points.

In this division, the only target should be to be in the mix come January and then go for it.
  • At the recent Bromley Addicks meeting Lee Bowyer said that he breaks down the season into nine game sections.

In this division, the only target should be to be in the mix come January and then go for it.
    Target 50, then go from there.

What does "going for it" mean ? 
    What would be doing differently, when we "go for it" ?

What does "going for it" mean ? 
    What would be doing differently, when we "go for it" ?
    Buy another striker.

Not lose Cullen.

Cullen is I think out of contract this summer? If so there is a good chance he will be recalled and sold in January.
  • Win 12 of our remaining 18 home games,  plus the 17 points we already have puts us on 53 points, add whatever we pick up away and I'm 100% sure we will be comfortably around top 10. 
    Out of the remaining 18 at home, even with our impressive home form, I would be happy with another 10 wins. Call it 35 more points at home, ending with W13 D6 L4. It's then away from home if we can say average just over a point per game. I'd be more than happy ending on around 62 points this season. Mid table. 

The other way of looking at it on the whole scale is another 45 points from 37 games. More than doable. 
  • edited September 2019
    We all know what Bowyer wants when he talks about "anyone talking about top 6 or promotion is lubricious". His Heart wants us and he wants his team to aim for it. He has a winners mentality.  He knows deep down it is very likely. However, all the time we are there or there abouts he will be going for it. He hates losing. His head says "staying up is our priority". I think he will still have those targets. I don't think that will change. We are so lucky to have him as Manager. In being a Charlton fam since 1986 these are my standout managers Ciurbs, Powell, Lennie and Bows.  I am sure if Bowyer goes it will be to Leeds if they don't go up.  Sadly, if Leeds Utd don't go up, surely Bows would be their next target.  I am hoping either Leeds or Charlton go up or both.