Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bread makers

Any recommendations?

Comments

• clb74 said:

Hovis

You mind you don't split those stitches :wink: Good to bump into you again yesterday.
  • RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

Hovis

You mind you don't split those stitches :wink: Good to bump into you again yesterday.
    As you again
    Probably miss Burton now as looks like I've got to have time off work, but will be definitely doing Barnsley as already sorted hotel so might see you there if forgoing.
  • clb74 said:

RedChaser said:

clb74 said:

Hovis

As you again
    Probably miss Burton now as looks like I've got to have time off work, but will be definitely doing Barnsley as already sorted hotel so might see you there if forgoing.
    That's a shame about Burton. As for Barnsley that's in between Christmas and New Year so could be a goer for us but won't know for certain until family arrangements have been sorted. Got a few more to look forward to before then though with Scunny next up for me Tuesday fortnight :wink: .
  • Think they are called bakers
  • Don't go for a bread making gadget.
    Make your own i.e mix yeast flour salt water etc and knead.
    Nothing better on a cool autumn afternoon to smell baking bread.
    And eating of course.
  • edited September 2018
    blessed are the breadmakers for they shall inherit a crust

• Machine bread is convenient but not satisfying.
    You will either not bother using it after the novelty wears off or you will become an obsessed home baker making proper slow proofed bread by hand.
  • Don't bother yet another kitchen gadget that after a week will be resigned to being stuck in a cupboard never to see the light of day again
  • Sponsored links:

• On my second Panasonic. Don't use it as much as we used to because the kids have gone off bread, and you can now get a decent loaf near to me, but it's nearly 10 years old and still working well, though the paddle does stick in the loaf quite regularly.
    And eating of course.

Yes, I can see the attraction of making bread properly (bread week on bakeoff last week)...or buying it in the supermarket. The bread maker seems like a 9 day wonder gadget
    And eating of course.

Yes, I can see the attraction of making bread properly (bread week on bakeoff last week)...or buying it in the supermarket. The bread maker seems like a 9 day wonder gadget
    It depends on whether you can get into a routine. Unless you have a really good supermarket or baker nearby, bought bread is generally terrible. Making bread by hand is very satisfying, but it is also time consuming. A bread maker is a compromise between the two - better bread than you can buy from Tesco with less time taken. You need to use decent ingredients though, especially yeast as a lot of it doesn't work well in a bread maker; and experiment at the beginning of using one.
  • You'll use it once, don't bother.
  • iainment said:

Any recommendations?

We have had a Panasonic machine (model SD-252) for some years. Very consistent quality. Has a timer that goes up to 13 hours. We go through phases of using it (currently trying to cut out bread in order to lose weight just now, so haven't used it for a few weeks), but nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread wafting up from the kitchen when you get up in the morning.
  • Working 9-5, what a way to make a living.
  • If its for a present I would think again, I run a group of charity shops and our 3 most donated electrical items (unwanted gifts) are -
    Bread Makers
    Foot Spa's
    Smoothie Makers

An honourable mention should also go to George Foreman's lean mean grilling machine

Insight like this makes this site what it is...brilliant.

I know they aren't electrical, but spralisers must be an increasingly donated kitchen gadget, no?
  • If its for a present I would think again, I run a group of charity shops and our 3 most donated electrical items (unwanted gifts) are -
    Bread Makers
    Foot Spa's
    Smoothie Makers

An honourable mention should also go to George Foreman's lean mean grilling machine

I always imagined sandwich toasters would fall into that category too!
  • iainment said:

Any recommendations?

Buy one from one of @Bigbadbozman 's charity shops and if you don't like/use it then at least you have done something for charity/haven't paid full price
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2018

iainment said:

Any recommendations?

Buy one from one of @Bigbadbozman 's charity shops and if you don't like/use it then at least you have done something for charity/haven't paid full price
    Giving your dough to charity that needs it, crumbs what a great idea :wink:
  • Got one from Aldi a couple of years ago, very good product and use fairly regularly. They are currently selling one made by Tower for about £60 with a 3 year guarantee.
    Bread Makers
    Foot Spa's
    Smoothie Makers

Insight like this makes this site what it is...brilliant.

I know they aren't electrical, but spralisers must be an increasingly donated kitchen gadget, no?
    We do get Loads of non electric kitchen gadgets not many saucepans or anything of actual use for daily living!!! Still they all get resold on the main
  • Roland Duchatelet
  • rananegra said:

Don't go for a bread making gadget.
    And eating of course.

It depends on whether you can get into a routine. Unless you have a really good supermarket or baker nearby, bought bread is generally terrible. Making bread by hand is very satisfying, but it is also time consuming. A bread maker is a compromise between the two - better bread than you can buy from Tesco with less time taken. You need to use decent ingredients though, especially yeast as a lot of it doesn't work well in a bread maker; and experiment at the beginning of using one.
    “Time consuming” is misleading. Sourdough takes me two days, 15 minutes involved in mixing, kneading and shaping. 1 day 23 hrs 45 minutes doing something else while it proofs and bakes.
  • The wife :-)

Prove it.
  • edited September 2018
  • rananegra said:

And eating of course.

“Time consuming” is misleading. Sourdough takes me two days, 15 minutes involved in mixing, kneading and shaping. 1 day 23 hrs 45 minutes doing something else while it proofs and bakes.
    How about making soda bread, use bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast. You don’t need to proof it, just pop it straight in the oven.
  • rananegra said:

And eating of course.

How about making soda bread, use bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast. You don’t need to proof it, just pop it straight in the oven.
    Best bread in the world!