Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bread makers

Comments

• Options
    Was wondering why this thread hadn't been revived under lockdown but having looked back on previous posts I see that breadmakers are not much rated here. 

Well we got a new one (a Panasonic) for Christmas, and of course it proved timely. Those who do use them, any tips for how to get the best from them (we are more and more making the dough and finishing in the oven), and especially a source of recipes that are suitable for a Panasonic machine? 
  • Options
    As mentioned in the cooking with rations thread - I have been learning how to make bread during lockdown. I wanted to learn without a bread maker. I have been making bread ‘manually’ up to now with fairly decent results. 

Yesterday I took delivery of this bad-boy and am hoping it helps. 

• Options
    Got an Asda one for about £35 about four years ago but it is now unused because I can't get ingredients.
    As soon as I can I will revive it.
    The draggy bit is the paddle in the bottom of the bread, and sometimes sogginess. Would love to get a failsafe method for fools (me).
  • Options
    Don't waste money on a unitasker like that, making your own home-made bread isn't difficult and is one of life's simplest pleasures! And when you're done you can show it off on the toast thread 😃
  • Options
    We have started making bread  yes the proving takes times but doesn’t take long to make a loaf. Out of flour!!  Help please 
  • Options
    We have a bread maker, mainly used for pizza dough and rolls, can’t get yeast at the moment though.
  • Options
    If its for a present I would think again, I run a group of charity shops and our 3 most donated electrical items (unwanted gifts) are - Bread Makers Foot Spa's Smoothie Makers An honourable mention should also go to George Foreman's lean mean grilling machine
    Insight like this makes this site what it is...brilliant. I know they aren't electrical, but spralisers must be an increasingly donated kitchen gadget, no?
    I have a spiralizer at the back of my cupboard which will be going to a charity shop. 
  • Options
    I've got one, have varied between using that if it's a loaf that needs a load.of kneading and making it by hand if not (soda bread, damper, and an easy wholemeal recipe that only kneads for about 10 secs 3 times).

Agree on the paddle making a hole being a pain!
  • Options
    I love my bread maker and have had my Panasonic for over 10 years. Chuck in the ingredients - yeast first then flour so yeast does not interact, set timer for breakfast. Lovely smell of bread baking on waking and warm bread. Usually bake a small loaf as a large loaf rises above tin and looks a bit naff and more than I want. Often use 70% whole flour with 30% white.

Use dough only mode for rolls, pizza basis and Nan. Also for special breads with fruit or olives in as they can sink in bake mode.

Also use a bread mix if in a hurry and these are fine.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    Got an Asda one for about £35 about four years ago but it is now unused because I can't get ingredients.
    The draggy bit is the paddle in the bottom of the bread, and sometimes sogginess. Would love to get a failsafe method for fools (me).
    The best way with these things is use them to make the dough then shaping it and cooking it in your oven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The best way with these things is use them to make the dough then shaping it and cooking it in your oven.
    Is it possible to stop at the dough point?
    I assume it is start it up and that's that.
    Can you use the container in the oven?
  • Options
    Depending on the model, you can set different programmes, and there's usually one to do the initial mix, knead and prove, and then you can dump the dough out to make rolls or shape in interesting ways.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Depending on the model, you can set different programmes, and there's usually one to do the initial mix, knead and prove, and then you can dump the dough out to make rolls or shape in interesting ways.
    Thanks. I will re-investigate my Asda item.
    This is probably a stupid question, but will I need to buy tins to cook the bread in the oven, and if so does it matter what size they are?
  • Options
    My boss managed to buy a 16kg bag of flour delivered from a local place local to him near tunbridge wells recently and they also delivered 500g of yeast. 

May not be able to buy small quantities as we normally would in the shops but there is plenty available in the country (as restaurants etc not using any) it’s just not available in small sizes. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    As mentioned in the cooking with rations thread - I have been learning how to make bread during lockdown. I wanted to learn without a bread maker. I have been making bread ‘manually’ up to now with fairly decent results. 

I too got sick of kneading by hand and bought the Kenwood version of your kitchenaid and it's been brilliant. Kneading by hand is good as it gives you a sense of what the dough should look and feel like when it's ready for proving etc. but you get the same results using a machine with a dough hook and it's 10x easier. 

I usually go really slow for a few minutes and then speed up a little when it starts looking a little smoother.

I can't find any yeast and had planned to make pizza on Monday so have made a sourdough starter which seems to be working okay. Will test it out and make a sourdough loaf tomorrow.
  • Options

I too got sick of kneading by hand and bought the Kenwood version of your kitchenaid and it's been brilliant. Kneading by hand is good as it gives you a sense of what the dough should look and feel like when it's ready for proving etc. but you get the same results using a machine with a dough hook and it's 10x easier. 

I usually go really slow for a few minutes and then speed up a little when it starts looking a little smoother.

I can't find any yeast and had planned to make pizza on Monday so have made a sourdough starter which seems to be working okay. Will test it out and make a sourdough loaf tomorrow.
    I want to try sourdough - but going by my Tamagotchi record.....I’m not sure I’ll be regimented enough to keep the starter ‘alive’. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    Is it possible to stop at the dough point?
    I assume it is start it up and that's that.
    Can you use the container in the oven?
    It should be one of the settings and it will prove it too. We don't use ours so much but I did use the pizza base setting a lot, and there was a bread dough setting but it is too easy to buy the stuff. The bread it bakes itself can be a bit boring but the oven cooked bread is a lot better. Also you can replace some of the dry ingredients with wet ones for a better taste - a bit of trial and error, but you can get good results.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    seth plum said:
    aliwibble said:
    Thanks. I will re-investigate my Asda item.
    This is probably a stupid question, but will I need to buy tins to cook the bread in the oven, and if so does it matter what size they are?
    Entirely depends on what type of loaf you want to make. If you want standard rectangular sandwich loaf then yes, and it's probably a bit more foolproof if you do, but you can just shape it how you like and whack it on a parchment covered baking sheet instead. I'd probably try it without and see how it goes before buying some. You might find these videos helpful :
    Bake with Jack 129 - the essential kit you need
    Bake with Jack 130 - Simple Loaf tutorial
    (if you go to about 18 minutes on this one it shows the size of tins he uses for the double batch he made)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info guys.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I have a Panasonic and I think it works very well. After using for a year on and off I got a little bit more adventurous and tried making bread in the oven. After a few slightly disappointing although edible attempts I found Paul Hollywood on YouTube. Follow his recipes and directions and bingo. It’s quite stunning. One tip. Instead of hand kneading I use the Panasonic to mix and knead the dough for me. Kneading by hand for a novice is hard work and takes probably 20 mins. If you have one you can mix and knead the dough in a food mixer using the dough hook. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have a Panasonic and I think it works very well. After using for a year on and off I got a little bit more adventurous and tried making bread in the oven. After a few slightly disappointing although edible attempts I found Paul Hollywood on YouTube. Follow his recipes and directions and bingo. It’s quite stunning. One tip. Instead of hand kneading I use the Panasonic to mix and knead the dough for me. Kneading by hand for a novice is hard work and takes probably 20 mins. If you have one you can mix and knead the dough in a food mixer using the dough hook. 
    Great post, that's exactly what I was looking for, and we have already started choosing the "dough option" on our Panasonic with OK-ish results - we make decent rolls with them - so now I'm going to check this guy out.

Looks like the yeast shortage is Europe-wide....my buddy reckons that when it comes to the dry yeast needed in the Panasonic, it may actually be the packaging that is running low. The two big brands we have here using foil lined packets. That said, fresh yeast is in short supply here too.
  • Options
    You can make your own "starter" yeast from just flour and water, will take 5 days untill usable and if you keep "feeding” it you will.always have yeast and won't have to buy it again,  

This is a basic recipe.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/amp558843/sourdough-starter/
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    https://www.paulhollywood.com/

Also search him out on YouTube. His simple recipe for white bloomer loaf is just fantastic to start with. 

• Options
    Great post, that's exactly what I was looking for, and we have already started choosing the "dough option" on our Panasonic with OK-ish results - we make decent rolls with them - so now I'm going to check this guy out.

Looks like the yeast shortage is Europe-wide....my buddy reckons that when it comes to the dry yeast needed in the Panasonic, it may actually be the packaging that is running low. The two big brands we have here using foil lined packets. That said, fresh yeast is in short supply here too.
    You don't need to use dried yeast and it is easy to make your own according to you tube. All you need is flour and water (not from tap as chlorine kills the yeast). It is the same with milk powder. You can get the bread maker to do the job with wet ingredients, it is just you need a bit of trial and error to perfect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTt8VGyBdk&t=5s
  • Options
    Looks and I’m willing to bet tastes a million times better than the plastic sliced loaves that 99.9% of the population consume. 
  • Options

Here’s the first attempt using the Kitchenaid...

• Options
    Made a soda bread today, wholemeal one.

Was impressed how easy it was, no kneading just a bit of stirring, no proving etc.

Really nice too, dense but very savoury and moreish, good with marmalade.

Will definitely make it again.