Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Champions league on tv.

I know BT have the rights to show games.
But the highlights? Are there any on terrestrial channels?

Comments

• iainment said:

I know BT have the rights to show games.
    But the highlights? Are there any on terrestrial channels?

No highlights on terrestrial this season
  • SSN show the goals each night at 10.20 after the games apparently
  • I just noticed the Europa League highlights don't appear to be on terrestrial tv either.

Football mandarins are mad if they think excluding those without BT is beneficial to them.
  • SSN show the goals each night at 10.20 after the games apparently

Thanks. Not the same really though is it.
  • Where do BT get the money for all this?
    Everyone is know who had it chopped it in after the first year.
  • It's like a reverse boycott!
  • England on sky, Champions league on BT sports.. I miss free football viewing that isnt MOTD.
  • Highlights are on BT Sport on YouTube
  • edited September 2018

Where do BT get the money for all this?

I am not sure as I haven't read anything about it, but I think it's more a case of ITV or whoever deciding not to pay for the terrestrial highlights. It always used to be a separate package to the live games that BT show but that might have changed (BT are puting all the highlights stuff on their social channels from this season so maybe that's got something to do with it).

BT extended their deal last year until 2021, by which point I suspect they'll get out of football altogether.

Edit - from what I can tell having done some googling, the 2017 deal priced ITV out of the equation. BT seem to have smacked them down and taken all the rights for 100% exclusivity. Maybe they realised that people were more than happy to just watch highlights, and are not only stopping terrestrial, but making their social channels and app more palatable.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I am not sure as I haven't read anything about it, but I think it's more a case of ITV or whoever deciding not to pay for the terrestrial highlights. It always used to be a separate package to the live games that BT show but that might have changed (BT are puting all the highlights stuff on their social channels from this season so maybe that's got something to do with it).

BT extended their deal last year until 2021, by which point I suspect they'll get out of football altogether.

Edit - from what I can tell having done some googling, the 2017 deal priced ITV out of the equation. BT seem to have smacked them down and taken all the rights for 100% exclusivity. Maybe they realised that people were more than happy to just watch highlights, and are not only stopping terrestrial, but making their social channels and app more palatable.
    I'm pretty sure it's BT decision to buy all the european coverage, rather than ITV choosing not to show highlights. The highlights package was a popular programme I imagine for that slot
    shine166 said:

England on sky, Champions league on BT sports.. I miss free football viewing that isnt MOTD.

England proper qualifying games are still live on ITV, but not the Nations League ones
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

Personally, they can all do one. I have been a loyal Sky subscriber since 1998. They sneekingly added a subscription channel for extra Premiership games which initially I got sucked into. Then they lost the Champions League to BT Sport which I refuse to add to my disposable budget. Made do with the ITV highlights which I did enjoy. Now that's gone, I'm done.
    My phone is on the EE network but I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of signing up for a free 3/6 months and then cancelling. Besides, I'm from an archaic age where I like to see football on a large screen, not on a phone, tablet or laptop.

• JiMMy 85 said:

Personally, they can all do one. I have been a loyal Sky subscriber since 1998. They sneekingly added a subscription channel for extra Premiership games which initially I got sucked into. Then they lost the Champions League to BT Sport which I refuse to add to my disposable budget. Made do with the ITV highlights which I did enjoy. Now that's gone, I'm done.
    My phone is on the EE network but I can't be bothered with the rigmarole of signing up for a free 3/6 months and then cancelling. Besides, I'm from an archaic age where I like to see football on a large screen, not on a phone, tablet or laptop.

In fairness to BT, their app is quality. It works brilliantly on iPad (at least when it doesn't crash due to traffic overload). That said, I won't sign up to BT myself as it's a 12 month contract and I find that ludicrous. Better off finding a friend to let you use their log-in.
  • I hate this aspect of modern football. Same story here in Czecho, but worse. O2 bought the rights. They spent so much on the rights that they have no money left to invest in the actual content. The game ended 2-2 with a highly contentious penalty on 93 mins. After the game what do we get ? 15 mins of talking heads, including Viktoria players who are so gutted they can barely speak. And the penalty analysis? The close ups, the different angles, the slo-mos. and discussion of same. None. Unbelievable. I doubt they have more than 50,000 subscribers for their TV in the whole country, and no, you cannot buy a match pass.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

In fairness to BT, their app is quality. It works brilliantly on iPad (at least when it doesn't crash due to traffic overload). That said, I won't sign up to BT myself as it's a 12 month contract and I find that ludicrous. Better off finding a friend to let you use their log-in.
    I use a Chromecast to send the picture to my normal TV from my iPad. I didn't sign up specifically though, as I've been on BT internet for years
  • I’m not really interested in the Champions League until the later stages but we have had PlusNet Internet (now part of BT) for ages and get BT Sport for only £5 a month.
  • All Champions League and Europa League Highlights can be found on BT Sports YouTube channel free of charge:

https://www.youtube.com/user/BTSportOfficial
  • All Champions League and Europa League Highlights can be found on BT Sports YouTube channel free of charge:

useful. Thanks

• JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

The app for Eleven Sports is a lot better. It allows you to watch a game literally as soon as it’s finished live. I find BT Sport app quite hard to navigate when it comes to the on-demand content, and it also does that annoying thing where it tells you the score before you click on the clip to actually watch the game.
  • iainment said:

I just noticed the Europa League highlights don't appear to be on terrestrial tv either.

Football mandarins are mad if they think excluding those without BT is beneficial to them.

You think that is strange. The last golf major, the USPGA, was not available on ANY tv channel in the UK at all. Not terrestrial, not Sky, not BT, not even Netflix or Amazon or any other new "media". Just via Facebook (I believe) I tried..........and failed.

• Sure it was on Eleven Sports
  • Sponsored links:

• I never thought I'd miss coverage on ITV, but my god. I don't think there has ever been as insufferable a commentator as Steve McManaman on BT Sport. Trying to listen to him commentate on a Liverpool game was beyond torturous.
  • iainment said:

I just noticed the Europa League highlights don't appear to be on terrestrial tv either.

You think that is strange. The last golf major, the USPGA, was not available on ANY tv channel in the UK at all. Not terrestrial, not Sky, not BT, not even Netflix or Amazon or any other new "media". Just via Facebook (I believe) I tried..........and failed.

Eleven Sports had it. They're new on the scene and owned by the guy who also owns Leeds.

They also have a 3 year deals to show La Liga, Serie A, Eredivisie and i think also the Chinese league.

It's 60 quid for 1 year.
  • Eleven sports dont haveva TV Channel tho.

Think there membership would be alot higher if they did
  • But it is getting pretty stupid now. If you want to watch premier league, plus champions league plus la liga you now need THREE separate subscriptions.

Over here where i live (Dubai) all football is on one network (beIN sports) and it costs less than £20 a month.

I did see this earlier if anyone is interested..........

https://www.wowcher.co.uk/deal/london-east/8811762/50-bt-sport-12mths-9?source=awin&ito=wowcher_affiliate_78888&awc=3595_1537536405_dc628339f11e13277629ab306f19c79d
  • Eleven sports dont haveva TV Channel tho.

Think there membership would be alot higher if they did

True but it's 2018, tons of people watch on tablets or laptops and it doesn't take much to connect a computer to your tv.
  • Netflix and Amazon don't have a TV channel. Doesn't seem to bother them

Didn't know that. Thanks
  • edited September 2018

Netflix and Amazon don't have a TV channel. Doesn't seem to bother them

Can watch both of those on connected tvs though, cant with eleven sports
  • Eleven Sports is Chromecast compatible now so you can get it go straight from your phone to TV very easily. Chromecast only costs £30
  • Netflix and Amazon don't have a TV channel. Doesn't seem to bother them

Can watch both of those on connected tvs though, cant with eleven sports
    How is that possible? Surely they can't block your HDMI?