Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Handing Out Whoopings

Comments

• Options
    My favourite whoopings that I saw with my own eyes...

5-1 v Notts County (was that the booing Kim Grant game?)
    5-0 v Man City (86 or so)
    5-0 v Southampton
  • Options
    In the season we won Division 1 to bounce back up to the Premier League we had a couple of 4-0 and 4-1 home wins side-by-side where it just felt like we had that league in our pocket. I'm guessing it was in our long winning run in the middle of the season.

Norwich I'm sure was one of the victims, with John Robinson scoring a handball goal.
  • Options
    I was there for us whacking Norwich 4-0, the game where The Elk smashed it into the away end
  • Options
    23 years ago yesterday,Off_it. My nephew was born that day.And Leaburn scored a hat-trick.
    Annoying that we have to wrack our brains to recall big wins---why have we not been a high-scoring team consistently but are only treated to a 5-0 win once in a while? Always mystified me.
    Let's hope we get a number of big wins this season.With all due respect to them,there are some very poor teams in the division just expecting to be crunched!
  • Options
    Off_it said:

5-1 away at Ipswich

Leaburn hat trick!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    In the Parky years, there was a 5-1 tonking of MK Dons, if I remember right.

And they were top 3, I think.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I was there for us whacking Norwich 4-0, the game where The Elk smashed it into the away end

A different 4-0 against Norwich, but I was at that too! Elk's clearance into their fans was beautifully unnecessary - I'm sure he also did it to our own fans once in the East Stand.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Yeah I remember that one... two penalties wasnt it from Deon Burton and one red card for them?

Edit: Whilst remembering the 5-1 I was getting the pens / red card confused with the title winning 2-1 win against them
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Yeah I remember that one... two penalties wasnt it from Deon Burton and one red card for them?
    Can't remember, but MKD were 1-0 up early on.

• Options

I saw a 5-0 thrashing of Man City at Selhurst, about 1986 Christmas time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

While I was reading the thread through and responding, I see now that others have posted similar stuff in that time!

• Options

There is only one club in all of England, in any league, with a longer win streak than Charlton...... Liverpool.

Think you'll find it's Huddersfield...
  • Options
    4-0 against West Ham in the relegation season, despite ultimately meaning nothing, was a good one. Up against Curbs, felt like a huge game and that loser would be relegated (sadly the winner was!) and we tore 'em to shreds 3-0 up in about half an hour. Their end was shellshocked and our fans were class.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Davo55 said:

19 August 2000.

Charlton 4 Man City 0

Top of the league (briefly).

Heady days.

Was that the one where Claus scored the 40 yard tackle lob shinner?
  • Options

Davo55 said:

19 August 2000.

Charlton 4 Man City 0

Top of the league (briefly).

Heady days.

Was that the one where Claus scored the 40 yard tackle lob shinner?
    Think that was in the 4-1 reverse fixture
  • Options
    Wasn't that a couple of days after we got thumped 5-0 at West Ham.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

To be honest yesterday felt like a “whooping” - we were by far the better team and had it been for some better decision making in the final third I think the scoreline could have looked very different.

Don’t worry, once we can unleash a fully fit Igor on weary defences who have been tormented by the Grant/Taylor partnership for 70 mins I’m confident the thrashings will come!

Add in a sliver of luck where the ball hits the inside of the post/bar and Saturday's result is 4 - 1 at worst.
    Nothing really fell for Ward, Aribo or Taylor (penalty aside), on another day they'd have torn Argyle to so many pieces it would have taken a week to clear up the mess.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Off_it said:

5-1 away at Ipswich

Leaburn hat trick!
    I mentioned that match to Carl Leaburn in the Swan recently and thanked him for a fantastic day!
    Everybody was so polite getting out of the car park - waving each other out saying “after you”. What a buzz.
  • Options
    We beat Cardiff 5-0 in 1966/67 and three days later we beat Bristol City by the same score.

Which seems pretty impressive until you remember that in 1972/73 we beat Swansea 6-0 and three weeks later we beat Notts County 6-1( Flanagan scored four goals in this game).

Both of the last two games were on Tuesday nights. At the time I used to play for a Sunday league team and we “trained” on Tuesday evenings!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

4-0 is not a whacking or a whopping or even a trouncing. The other season we lost consecutive away games 6-0 & 5-0. We've also been hit for 7 away at Luton & at Brighton. We even let in 6 to a bottom of the table Leeds side.....at home !

I have NEVER seen us score 6 goals. As I said earlier I was not at Barnsley a few years ago. I've seen us score 5 at Peterborough & 5 at home against Cardiff in recent years. Obviously the 5-0 against the Saints in our 1st ever Premiership game. That was 20 years ago. TWENTY YEARS.

Even when we won the leagues in 2000 & 2012 we never hammered teams. its not the Charlton way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have seen us beat a side that have appeared in The Champions League group stages 9-0.
  • Options
    Typical Charlton, if we were to score seven, you can almost guarantee the opposition would probably score six and have us hanging on at the final whistle.
  • Options

I have seen us beat a side that have appeared in The Champions League group stages 9-0.

Apoel Nicosia?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    West Brom at home on a Tuesday night in the promotion season after relegation from the prem. That was 5-0. Absolutely fucking smashed them that night. Could easily have been 8
  • Options
    Then there was the time we were 4-1 up at Sheff Weds with 20 minutes to go, and looked like we were going to score even more.

Except Wednesday suddenly got their act together ..... and somehow we managed to lose 5-4.

Pwopa Charlton.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Oggy Red said:

Then there was the time we were 4-1 up at Sheff Weds with 20 minutes to go, and looked like we were going to score even more.

Except Wednesday suddenly got their act together ..... and somehow we managed to lose 5-4.

Pwopa Charlton.

Oh well least it werent Huddersfield who were 5-1 (?) clear with a man advantage
  • Options

West Brom at home on a Tuesday night in the promotion season after relegation from the prem. That was 5-0. Absolutely fucking smashed them that night. Could easily have been 8

Wasn't that Sacha Ilic's debut in goal?

And he came charging out of his penalty area to stop a 1 on 1?

• Options
    Didn’t we beat Tonbridge (Angels) 5-1 away in the FA cup - lots of fighting going on too?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Didn’t we beat Tonbridge (Angels) 5-1 away in the FA cup - lots of fighting going on too?

I was there for that, about 1973? Can't remember much terracing, we stood behind a rope or fence beside the pitch. I've always thought it was 5-0, must have been wrong then.
  • Options

I remember seeing a Ray Treacy hat trick when we thumped Hull City 5-1 at The Valley, final match of the 1967-68 season.