Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Handing Out Whoopings

Comments

• Options
    Off_it said:

5-1 away at Ipswich

That came from nowhere. Hattrick for Carlo. Their keeper was injured which made the drubbing even more satisfactory
  • Options
    Mametz said:

I have seen us beat a side that have appeared in The Champions League group stages 9-0.

Apoel Nicosia?
    Yes that's it.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Solidgone said:

Didn’t we beat Tonbridge (Angels) 5-1 away in the FA cup - lots of fighting going on too?

I was there for that, about 1973? Can't remember much terracing, we stood behind a rope or fence beside the pitch. I've always thought it was 5-0, must have been wrong then.
    I thought it was 5-0 as well.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

West Brom at home on a Tuesday night in the promotion season after relegation from the prem. That was 5-0. Absolutely fucking smashed them that night. Could easily have been 8

Wasn't that Sacha Ilic's debut in goal?

And he came charging out of his penalty area to stop a 1 on 1?

Err, no. Ilic saved a pen at Wembley in May 1998.....Op was talking about 99/00 season.

I remembrr that game. Royally took 'em apart......but again no drubbing.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    0-6 away at Barnsley comes to mind
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Off_it said:

5-1 away at Ipswich

That came from nowhere. Hattrick for Carlo. Their keeper was injured which made the drubbing even more satisfactory
    Not quite from nowhere, the Ipswich game was on the Saturday following our incredible 5-4 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst in the League Cup.

That team was absolutely buzzing at the time with Newton, Garland, Bowyer and Robinson in midfield and Carlo and Nelson up front.

We just ran out of steam in the final part of the season and lost in the Play Offs to the Nigels.
  • Options
    Same old Golfie...
    Nothing changes
  • Options
    Charlton 5-1 MK Dons 2009

Very windy that day. Me and the weather.
  • Options
    I don't think you have to batter teams but wins need to be relatively comfortable as if not you will get more defeats as luck will play a bigger part. A whooping is nice when it is rare, if we whooped teams every game it would be boring.
  • Options
    Peterborough away s few seasons ago ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-0 against West Ham, thought that would keep us up and send them down.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

West Brom at home on a Tuesday night in the promotion season after relegation from the prem. That was 5-0. Absolutely fucking smashed them that night. Could easily have been 8

Wasn't that Sacha Ilic's debut in goal?

And he came charging out of his penalty area to stop a 1 on 1?

Err, no. Ilic saved a pen at Wembley in May 1998.....Op was talking about 99/00 season.

I remembrr that game. Royally took 'em apart......but again no drubbing.
    Err, no, Golfie. The OP got the games the wrong way round.

The 99/00 season home game v West Brom was a 0-0 draw.
    23rd October 1999 in front of 19,346
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season

The 5-0 battering of West Brom was Tuesday 3rd March 1998.
    Goals by Bright, Newton, Mendonca 2 (1 pen), Kinsella.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_Charlton_Athletic_F.C._season

• Options
    West Ham showing how it's done
  • Options
    Off_it said:

5-1 away at Ipswich

Who will ever forget that one! 1-0 down as well and three for Leaburn. Was sitting in main stand with Ipswich-supporting friend too... he hadn't been for years, probably didn't go again after that!
  • Options

Mametz said:

I have seen us beat a side that have appeared in The Champions League group stages 9-0.

Apoel Nicosia?
    Yes that's it.
    Blimey, one of my first games at The Valley I think.

• Options
    Luton had better be terrified right now. :neutral:

I expect a big 6-0
  • Options
    As much as i love a whooping! ooooerrr

I would much prefer to keep winning regardless, great habit and the odd one might come along, agree we will be more likely once Fosu is back as he will take us to the next level.
  • Options
    Absolutely I'd happily take 1-0 every game, alternating between Taylor and Grant as goalscorer and assist maker.
  • Options

I bet in the Luton programme they'll be some mention of: Luton 7 Charlton 1.

They'll be wanting to remember that day about 1977, when already leading 3-0 by HT, we went into total collapse conceding another 4 in the space of 15 minutes mid-way through the 2nd half. Bad day at the office for us.

So come on you rip-roaring goalscoring Addicks, (after 40 years!) a whooping revenge will be sweet.

• Options
    The Evening Standard (I know, but it's free and keeps me awake on the train home) are reporting today that West Ham's 8-0 trouncing of Macclesfield last night is their "biggest win since they beat Newcastle 8-1 in 1986....".

Who wants to tell them.........?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still waiting...
  • Options
    I went to Peterborough away a few years back. What was that score?? Did we win 5-1 or 6-1?or 5-0? I can't remember the score but was sure it was the biggest win I had seen live since we beat Ipswich away 5-1 with Carlo's hat trick.
  • Options
    for fecks sake. 8 fecking nil & I miss it.
  • Options
    Whoopings start at 5 in my book. What’s the term for 8? Avalanche?
  • Options

Whoopings start at 5 in my book. What’s the term for 8? Avalanche?

I don’t know the term for 8, but surely 9 is a Suckling?
  • Options
    I did half think about going to this one, but thought it might be a bit of a drab match, so went to see Johnny English instead.
  • Options
    Have I been oop north too long or should it be a whopping instead of a whooping?
  • Options

Have I been oop north too long or should it be a whopping instead of a whooping?

Yeah you’ve been up north too long... :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Quite right, it's being annoying me since the first post. Whoop whoop.
  • Options
    You can have a whopping big victory but you whoop someones arse.

You dont give someone a whopping.