Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Raheem Sterling

Comments

• are footballers paid too much yes - should some scummy chelsea fan get away with what he said no, the whole media though of whether he said black or manc cunt doesnt make a difference - it certainly does.
  • edited December 2018
    Let’s not pretend that abuse or even vile abuse of a footballer is just a Sterling or even just a black player phenonomen.

There are black players in huge numbers at every single club who are well liked by their own fans and the opposition.

Some players thoughtout all eras (black and white) just aren’t liked - simple as that. I don’t know why Sterling isn’t as I don’t really follow the premiership much these days, but this generation of overpaid young players certainly compounds the negative reaction some players receive.

I’ve heard vile abuse of many, many players down the years. As some have said what Sterling gets isn’t even worth discussing compared to the campaign Beckham endured post WC 98.
  • edited December 2018

Let’s not pretend that abuse or even vile abuse of a footballer is just a Sterling or even just a black player phenonomen.

There are black players in huge numbers at every single club who are well liked by their own fans and the opposition.

Some players thoughtout all eras (black and white) just aren’t liked - simple as that. I don’t know why Sterling isn’t as I don’t really follow the premiership much these days, but this generation of overpaid young players certainly compounds the negative reaction some players receive.

I’ve heard vile abuse of many, many players down the years. As some have said what Sterling gets isn’t even worth discussing compared to the campaign Beckham endured post WC 98.

I can’t even imagine the level of abuse Sterling would have got if he’d been sent off in the QF against Sweden and we lost that game.

Wouldn’t it have been the same or worse than what Beckham was unfairly given in 98?
  • edited December 2018
    Small factions of

Rangers fans sing about Tommy burns not having a hair on his head.
    Celtic fans sing about the murder of Lee rugby
    Leeds fans sing about the Munich air disaster

I could go on it’s not a new thing and although disgusting and vile on Saturday it wasn’t as bad as other cases.
  • a few years ago pretty much the whole arsenal away following were singing about adebayors dad washing elephants and his mum being a whore - surely that has a pretty racial tone to it. he then scored for city and run at the away end and was pelted with bottles etc, i think sterling is a fantastic player and he does not deserve the stick he gets off the media - but i personally dont believe every journalist and football fan to be racist, rooney was never left alone and the guy is only englands highest goal scorer.
  • have to admit cousin is a chelsea st holder and as i work close occasionally if he has a spare ill go along with him for free, have been chelsea spurs 3 times and every time there are hitler songs and the hissing noises.

i mean this photo was hardly a million years ago

• Chunes said:

Massive Sterling fan and delighted he’s doing well for club and county. No reason why he can’t reach the level of Hazard, Neymar etc in the next 3 or 4 years.

Lack of consistency means he'll never get there. Be good if he gets a bit more prolific though - shut the dickheads in the press up
    18 goals and 15 assists last season. (Way better than Hazard)

8 goals and 6 assists in 13 games so far this season.

Needs to be more consistent? I don't understand comments like this but they are somehow frequent
    True - but I was talking specifically about in an England shirt. Probably should have made that a bit clearer
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2018
    The age of the potty mouth supporters in British football appears to be the surprise to most other countries.
    The amount of 50 to 65 year olds in British Football grounds who speak in feral terms would make for interesting analysis,
    I first noticed this at Millwall last century !

I wonder if Sterling gets more stick because of the fact that he is the highest earning Black player in England ?
    Raheem got picked for England as a striker during the WC despite his apalling goal scoring record for the National team going back 2 years.

Wayne Rooney got dogs abuse when he didn't wear the England shirt, Mainly about his penchant for woman over 60 when he was a young teenager.

No excuse for racist language anywhere.
    Overpaid tosspot should of been suffice.
  • Not sure why Stirling isn't liked----they are many very highly paid black players at all Premium clubs,but he does seem to get abuse. Didn't seem to give it Berry big bollox either
  • The age of the potty mouth supporters in British football appears to be the surprise to most other countries.
    The amount of 50 to 65 year olds in British Football grounds who speak in feral terms would make for interesting analysis,
    I first noticed this at Millwall last century !

I wonder if Sterling gets more stick because of the fact that he is the highest earning Black player in England ?
    Raheem got picked for England as a striker during the WC despite his apalling goal scoring record for the National team going back 2 years.

Wayne Rooney got dogs abuse when he didn't wear the England shirt, Mainly about his penchant for woman over 60 when he was a young teenager.

No excuse for racist language anywhere.
    Overpaid tosspot should of been suffice.

How is he overpaid? He is a star in a multi million industry. It's because of him, the team and the management of Man C that they generate their money.
    Whether from Sky, fans, sponsors or owners.
    I'd rather it go to the active participants rather than the hangers on and leeches most clubs seem to attract. (Hello Roland).
    There isn't the same fuss about earnings in other entertainment or sport - films come to mind - as there is in football. And there is undoubtedly in football every now and then a whipping boy for the frustrations of fans and media. It's his turn now and I can't but agree with him that it is about race with him.
  • Not sure why Stirling isn't liked----they are many very highly paid black players at all Premium clubs,but he does seem to get abuse. Didn't seem to give it Berry big bollox either

It seems to stem from anyone going to Man City these days because they're chasing money

i.e. the likes of Delph (who was resented by Aston Villa fans) isnt popular for his move but guess he doesnt get as much stick because its seen that he left for the money and a chance to win things - Sterling on the other hand was already at a big club so gets viewed as even more greedy than others and didnt need to move as had the potential to win things @ Liverpool, despite the fact they havent!!
  • I shake my head in dismay when this sort of thing happens. I mean, how many Chelsea players are black? I don't know exactly what was said and let's be fair, we have all given opposition players/officials stick - and still do but (at Charlton anyway) I can't remember the last time I heard an opposition player suffer racial abuse.
    I agree that the press seem to on Sterling's case and that doesn't help - but the boy doesn't help himself by getting a tattoo of a bloody machine gun on his leg.
    I just hope the knuckle-draggers who did this are caught, banned and hopefully prosecuted.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

I’ve been watching this channel in the US this week and one thing I’ve noticed that I don’t understand - Rebecca (the presenter) always refers to Robbie Earle by both names. Every single time.

“Was that a red card Robbieearle?”

She's Palace too.
  • thenewbie said:

Respectfully... That's a load of crap. Firstly he shouldn't have to put up with abuse just because it's not as bad as it could be. And secondly, his main point isn't even about the abuse aimed specifically at him, it's that the media condone if not encourage the abuse by a clear and demonstrable double standard.
    And respectfully, I never said he should have to put up with it, did I? That would be ridiculous. I was just making the point that, contrary to the vibe on here, this is not a one off incident from either a bloke on the terraces or from the media. It has happened from both outlets through the generations and no one can say for sure it’s race related.

It seems that people (media or joe bloggs) can’t take a dislike to a black person now, without the assumption it is because they are black and therefore racism.

Assuming without evidence, a racist angle in every single incident involving a black person does more harm to the anti racism message/campaign than good. Maybe some of the media just dislike him because they think he’s a tosser, or they’ve had a negative experience with him...who knows? Certain players (black and white) have always got more bad press and abuse from the terraces than other players (black and white).

For what’s its worth I think he’s a cracking player on his day but has underperformed for England so far. I also think following England around that he’s got nowhere near the abuse some other England players have got down the years from the terraces.

Certain parts of the media disliked Beckham, his attitude and his image in the 90’s and couldn’t wait to have a pop. Just the same thing happening here in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Let’s not pretend that abuse or even vile abuse of a footballer is just a Sterling or even just a black player phenonomen.

Yes, you're right. Because David Beckham has never - as far as I am aware - been the subject of racism.
  • edited December 2018
    Has Sterling? Do we know he has? He gets abuse no doubt but do we know it’s purely because he is black? And is one type of abuse worse than another and who judges?

Some of the most uncomfortable abuse I’ve witnessed has been at ginger people, who seem fair game to just about anyone who isn’t ginger, have to endure negative connations and casual but often relentless brutal abuse, which if it was directed at skin colour, would send people into a frenzy.
  • Has Sterling? Do we know he has? He gets abuse no doubt but do we know it’s purely because he is black? And is one type of abuse worse than another and who judges?

Some of the most uncomfortable abuse I’ve witnessed has been at ginger people, who seem fair game to just about anyone who isn’t ginger, have to endure negative connations and casual but often relentless brutal abuse, which if it was directed at skin colour, would send people into a frenzy.

You're on a wind-up right?
  • Has Sterling? Do we know he has? He gets abuse no doubt but do we know it’s purely because he is black? And is one type of abuse worse than another and who judges?

You're on a wind-up right?
    Its alright to call someone a ginger c@nt
  • Being vile is sadly it is a entitlement some fans think they have. The same as some builders think they are allowed to sexually intimidate passing women. The issue is, if some women are ok with it, or it doesn't bother some players that isn't the point. If it bothers some, that makes it wrong and it needs to be addressed.

I think Sterling made some excellent points about unconscious racism within the press that are too easily dismissed by people like Piers Morgan. Probably because his criticism of Sterling before the world cup was way over the top!

Strawberry blonde?

Strawberry blonde?
    Say it loud I'm red headed and proud