Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Raheem Sterling

Comments

• Options

I liked the bloke who said he’d been going to Chelsea for 20 years and had never heard any racism. I suggest he gets his ears checked.

I’d say the same regardless of the club.

I can honestly say I have never heard racist abuse at The Valley. There was the 'who let the frogs out' chanting against Chelsea that time, but I've never heard a black player receive abuse, and I like to think the surrounding fans wouldn't stand for it. I accept I might be naive to think that.

And maybe it does happen and I just don't notice it. I do remember some guy sitting next to me and dad one day, saying he had quit an area in the old Covered End because he'd had enough of the racist stuff over there. I sat in the old F Block for four years soon after that, and didn't hear anything at all along those lines.

That all said, I have more recently seen our away fans (youngsters) abuse black stewards. Not racially abuse, but certainly treat them with less respect than their white counterparts.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    JiMMy 85 said:

I liked the bloke who said he’d been going to Chelsea for 20 years and had never heard any racism. I suggest he gets his ears checked.

I can honestly say I have never heard racist abuse at The Valley. There was the 'who let the frogs out' chanting against Chelsea that time, but I've never heard a black player receive abuse, and I like to think the surrounding fans wouldn't stand for it. I accept I might be naive to think that.

And maybe it does happen and I just don't notice it. I do remember some guy sitting next to me and dad one day, saying he had quit an area in the old Covered End because he'd had enough of the racist stuff over there. I sat in the old F Block for four years soon after that, and didn't hear anything at all along those lines.

That all said, I have more recently seen our away fans (youngsters) abuse black stewards. Not racially abuse, but certainly treat them with less respect than their white counterparts.
    I remember hearing some vile homophobic chants at the valley ('we can see you holding hands' to Brighton fans) but I genuinely can't remember any recist abuse either.
  • Options
    Nor me
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I’ve heard it a few times not often tho, at high profile away games, but never took it serious because it’s always been spotty 15 year olds, types of kids who’ve just realised they can swear when there mums aren’t about, doesn’t make it acceptable but I see as they’ll more than likely look back at themselves a few years on and think what was I doing. Honestly say I’ve never heard or seen any of it from any adult.
  • Options
    See this thread from 8 years ago about racist singing at Charlton.

Rightly, it got hammered on here and it soon died a death on the terraces too, I believe because the few racist idiots singing it got shouted down but it happened.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/44285/dissing-smaller-clubs/p1
  • Options
    To this day I still don't know what was in the Lisbie song, I just know it was bad.
  • Options

Rightly, it got hammered on here and it soon died a death on the terraces too, I believe because the few racist idiots singing it got shouted down but it happened.

Lol, the last page of that thread is comedy gold, 7 years on and nothing changes.
  • Options
    I was actually about to post about that song. I remember last hearing it loud and clear at Wycombe away in the Powell promotion season. That night it was coupled with a homophobic song about Darren Ambrose to the same tune for absolutely ages. I'd taken my dad to his first away game in for years and he was pretty horrified by it as well. Why Kevin Lisbie of all people I still don't know but it was so overtly racist it was unbelievable.
  • Options

I was actually about to post about that song. I remember last hearing it loud and clear at Wycombe away in the Powell promotion season. That night it was coupled with a homophobic song about Darren Ambrose to the same tune for absolutely ages. I'd taken my dad to his first away game in for years and he was pretty horrified by it as well. Why Kevin Lisbie of all people I still don't know but it was so overtly racist it was unbelievable.

Not excusing it just explaining, it was because lisbie went to millwall.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

JiMMy 85 said:

I remember hearing some vile homophobic chants at the valley ('we can see you holding hands' to Brighton fans) but I genuinely can't remember any recist abuse either.
    Was the bracketed sentence above the ‘vile homophobic chant’? Or were there other examples?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had some 'fans' jailed for racist chanting on the way back from the Fulham FA cup tie.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I once heard the bloke behind me in the north upper shouting out, calling Kevin Lisbie a "fucking monkey". To my great shame I didn't report him to a steward, wish I had done, but you're naive if you think there aren't racists in our support base. It would be a miracle if you took 10k of the public at random and didn't come up with a depressingly high number of racists in that sample.
  • Options

That was a funny read. Not the subject matter, but SHG randomly going in on Rob, Beds flipping his shit about the JJ songt and telling everyone how big he is, and seeing people having to write LOL when they found something funny.
  • Options

That was a funny read. Not the subject matter, but SHG randomly going in on Rob, Beds flipping his shit about the JJ songt and telling everyone how big he is, and seeing people having to write LOL when they found something funny.
    No likes or LOL in the bad old day although I think Jimbo might have got a few flags

Quoting was bad then too.

But you try and tell the kids today and they won't believe you.
  • Options
    What was the Lisbie song?
  • Options
    Never heard the Lisbie song from my underneath my blanket in the west upper.

Was at the away game vs Forest, though, around the time the two Leeds fans got stabbed in Istanbul and what seemed like about half the away end (which was swelled by the club paying for travel, IIRC) was signing "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk."

Only time I've witnessed racist chanting by Charlton fans, and it was nearly 20 years ago, but I witnessed it nonetheless.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

but you're naive if you think there aren't racists in our support base.
    Not sure if you mean the royal 'you' or me directly. If it's me, I would hasten to add that I have not claimed that to be the case. I was just responding to the implication that racism can be heard at any ground. I don't think it is that rife, at least not vocally. What people really think and say in private, or how they treat people consciously or otherwise, is something else entirely.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Was the bracketed sentence above the ‘vile homophobic chant’? Or were there other examples?
    That was the chant. Sorry if repeating it has caused any offense.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

No likes or LOL in the bad old day although I think Jimbo might have got a few flags

Quoting was bad then too.

But you try and tell the kids today and they won't believe you.
    Just read through all 11 pages. Quoting was effing abysmal back then.

We've come a long way as a forum.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

but you're naive if you think there aren't racists in our support base.
    Not sure if you mean the royal 'you' or me directly. If it's me, I would hasten to add that I have not claimed that to be the case. I was just responding to the implication that racism can be heard at any ground. I don't think it is that rife, at least not vocally. What people really think and say in private, or how they treat people consciously or otherwise, is something else entirely.
    Reading back my post it does seem.iverly directed at you when I did mean it in a more general sense, so I apologize for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

No offence caused, just baffling that you referred to that as ‘vile homophobia’. Let’s hope you never encounter any genuine homophobia in your life.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

No offence caused, just baffling that you referred to that as ‘vile homophobia’. Let’s hope you never encounter any genuine homophobia in your life.
    Is their much genuine homophobia anymore? Perhaps I'm being naive but I can't think of any anti gay comments or attitudes from people in my circles since the playground.

The 'vile' holding hands line was a light hearted allusion to some of the posts on here following the Brighton 4-0 thrashing a few years ago it wasn't meant to cause any upset.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Is their much genuine homophobia anymore? Perhaps I'm being naive but I can't think of any anti gay comments or attitudes from people in my circles since the playground.

The 'vile' holding hands line was a light hearted allusion to some of the posts on here following the Brighton 4-0 thrashing a few years ago it wasn't meant to cause any upset.
    Maybe the Welsh rugby guy who was attacked in the street, or the victims of similar attacks would disagree.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Maybe the Welsh rugby guy who was attacked in the street, or the victims of similar attacks would disagree.
    You can add the Ben Stokes case as another high profile example. I guess my sense is that these attacks are anomalies and that society is massively more tolerant than it used to to be but maybe that's not other people's experience/perception
  • Options
    What's all the Homophobia stuff to do with Raheem Sterling - baffled of Dorset?
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Gareth Thomas - after the attack came out of that with great dignity - didn’t press charges and spoke 1 to 1 with the teenage assailant. How Gareth, the man mountain, got done by that teenage scrote is another story.

Verbal abuse is completely vile but getting physical......, just why?
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

You can add the Ben Stokes case as another high profile example. I guess my sense is that these attacks are anomalies and that society is massively more tolerant than it used to to be but maybe that's not other people's experience/perception
    My perception as a straight white man is that as a society we are less racist and homophobic than when I was growing up.

But that doesn't mean there isn't still a problem.
    Bingo bango bongo, this is basically it.

Society HAS come a long way and is way more tolerant than it was. This is good. But the fact of the matter still is that lots of people on this thread seem to be implying that because it's got better, or isn't as bad as it used to be, that minorities should therefore be grateful for that?!

I'd rather racism or homophobia or other such intolerances just didn't exist at all.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

JaShea99 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

I was more offended when the Brighton fans sang back at us “you dirty northern bastards” 😀
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I once heard the bloke behind me in the north upper shouting out, calling Kevin Lisbie a "fucking monkey". To my great shame I didn't report him to a steward, wish I had done, but you're naive if you think there aren't racists in our support base. It would be a miracle if you took 10k of the public at random and didn't come up with a depressingly high number of racists in that sample.
    The people who sat behind us in East Stand Block C brought a guest along for an Arsenal game. He shouted the n-word at Thierry Henry, then said to the person next to him that he was indeed racist and didn't care.

We had brought a guest of our own along to the game who sat a few rows in front and was black. I felt utterly ashamed but was 14 at the time and didn't report it. Wish I or someone else did. The racist guest fortunately didn't come back at half time, I think someone may have asked him to leave.

While traveling away in the lower leagues I heard countless racist comments. Not even directed at the pitch, they seemed to be said only loud enough for the crowd to hear, as it they were wondering whether they could get a foothold.