Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big league matches you've seen. (Not Charlton.)

Comments

• Options
    3-3 Merseyside derby at Goodison in 2013. Great game.
  • Options
    Saw Barca v Inter at the nou camp the other week.
  • Options
    Can only think of 5 non Charlton league games that I've been to.

Watford v Arsenal in 83 with school mates
    Southend v Fulham in around 85 (went down there on a Friday night to tick the ground off)
    Arsenal V Millwall with an Arsenal mate in 89
    Gillingham v Chesterfield around late 80's, again just to tick the ground off
    Chelsea v Palace 90 with a load of Chelsea herberts. Half of which got nicked when we went for a drink in the west end afterwards
  • Options
    Spurs 3 - 3 Arsenal, in the Arsenal end, 2011 I think. Great game, and really quite a stark contrast to the experience of supporting Charlton against Millwall.

Sevilla vs Betis a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it, but Betis only had about a thousand tickets, tucked away in the corner of the top tier. I think for a derby atmosphere to be truly electric, you need enough away supporters to challenge the noise levels from the home support.

Need to get to an Old Firm game one of these days.
  • Options
    I've been to the occasional non Charlton game, but none especially stand out as great matches

Spurs vs Rubin in the Europa League in 2011 was nice as I was in an executive box, courtesy of one of the suppliers at work though!
  • Options
    Blucher said:

England v Poland in 1973. We were right in line with Norman Hunter’s mistake on the touchline. You could have heard a pin drop on the tube on the way home.

I also saw all the Euro 96 games at Wembley. Some cracking games after the dull opener against the Swiss.

I was at that match and in the same area. In fact a lot of the Charlton players were sitting around the same area (Keith Peacock).
  • Options
    My dad took me to see Palace v Everton in 1969 at Selhurst but apart from a cup final that’s the only non Charlton match I’ve been to. Alan Ball was playing and I think he had white boots
  • Options
    Memories of getting very wet in Highbury in 1989 (their title season) as was standing in the uncovered corner section between the North Bank and East Stand
  • Options
    I'm going to see Arsenal play Huddersfield with the FIL in December. Seemed like a good idea when he asked me after a few beers, not so sure I fancy it now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Arsenal 2-2 Chelsea. Was at Highbury in 2004. All I can remember from the game is John Terry scoring from a corner to equalise.

I also saw AC Milan vs Genoa in 2012. Max Allegri was manager of Milan, but this was a really poor Milan side and they were struggling at the time. All I can remember is taking full advantage of being able to drink beer in my seat.
  • Options
    Not a big game as such, but I was at Man Utd 0 Spurs 3 in 1989 (I think). It was a cup game, but the reason I sometimes think of it is that the atmosphere in the home stands was absolutely mutinous and there were chants calling for Ferguson to be sacked.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Been to Atletico Madrid v Real Madrid, Atletico v Barcelona and also saw them against Chelsea in the semi-final of the Champions League a few years back. The atmosphere at Atletico's old ground was always incredible - best I have ever experienced.

Saw Liverpool v Man Utd at Anfield when I was a kid in 1988 I think it would have been. 3-3 and a great experience.

Was also at New York Red Bulls v LA Galaxy for Beckham's debut. Complete sellout for first time for the New York team at Giants stadium and a fantastic atmosphere but a farce of a game with some comical football. Think it ended 7-6 or something!
  • Options
    Was in the Black Bull Lewisham one Friday night in 1972. A few Chelsea guys from Catford I knew were talking about going to Hillsboro the next day. F A cup QF. So I thought it would be a good laugh. Hadn’t had many of them at Charlton that season. So the following morning I met the guys at Kings x. Fuck me they had a special on every platform. I remember all the tkts were colour coded so ours was the last one to leave.
    If anybody went to Sheffield Wed in the 70’s they will remember Owleton station on top of the hill behind that big open home end. Well that’s were we arrived a 2.50 and the old bill herded is in the home end on one side much to the anger of the home thugs.
    All I recall after that was Chelsea winning 2-1
    And getting booted up the Arse every now and then. After the game it was a free for all but managed to get back up that hill in one piece and back to the Valley of tranquillity the following Saturday. The good old days, just turn up get on train get in ground no tkts required.
  • Options

Chelski v Boro -Relegation play off game that followed 'The Battle of the Bridge'
    Was with a few non supporting Chelski mates.Never known such an intimidating atmosphere.Kicked off big time at final whistle as Chelski were relegated.Happy days

Also attended this match and meet another two charlton fans as i entered the shed end.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Was in the Black Bull Lewisham one Friday night in 1972. A few Chelsea guys from Catford I knew were talking about going to Hillsboro the next day. F A cup QF. So I thought it would be a good laugh. Hadn’t had many of them at Charlton that season. So the following morning I met the guys at Kings x. Fuck me they had a special on every platform. I remember all the tkts were colour coded so ours was the last one to leave.
    If anybody went to Sheffield Wed in the 70’s they will remember Owleton station on top of the hill behind that big open home end. Well that’s were we arrived a 2.50 and the old bill herded is in the home end on one side much to the anger of the home thugs.
    All I recall after that was Chelsea winning 2-1
    And getting booted up the Arse every now and then. After the game it was a free for all but managed to get back up that hill in one piece and back to the Valley of tranquillity the following Saturday. The good old days, just turn up get on train get in ground no tkts required.

72 was a very good year for interesting away games.
  • Options
    My second ever game Dec 66 Chelsea 5 West ham 5

Chelsea V Manchester Utd 1-3 nov 66

Chelsea v Blackpool april 67 0-2

West Ham v Leeds Utd 1973 0-1

Tottenham v West Ham 1-0 1974 Frank Lampard scored own goal 89 min . NO NOT THAT ONE BUT HIS DAD.

• Options
    Alloa Athletic v Cowdenbeath...about 10 years ago, Cowden needed to avoid defeat to go up and Alloa had to win to go up. Alloa hit the post twice in the last minute and the last one rolled along the line before being cleared.
  • Options
    I went to a few non-Charlton matches in the late 80s - some of my friends were Arsenal, Spurs, Wet Spam fans so if Charlton were away we'd go to one of those if they were at home and vice versa.

One of those I went to was Arsenal-Liverpool at Highbury: midweek, 50,000+ in attendance, barely managed to get onto the North Bank.

The biggest non-Charlton match I've attended is probably West Coast v Collingwood at Subiaco Oval in April 2007. It was West Coast's first home game of the season and they were unfurling their Premiership flag after beating Sydney in the Grand Final the previous season. Happy days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plenty of north London derbies as a kid, family of Gooner’s
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I was also at Chelsea V Boro, I was 17 and home on leave and had been to the 'Battle of the BrIdge' a week or so earlier.

I went with a couple of Chelsea fans who I went to school with, before midday we had a pretty brutal scrap with Boro fans on Kings X station outside Casey Jones that set the scene for the day, I have never seen so much trouble as I did that day, it was mental.

As others have said though I can say I have seem Chelsea get relegated.

*I know I am posting whilst we are playing but following every kick on the match thread an SSN, Come on!!

• Options

Chelski v Boro -Relegation play off game that followed 'The Battle of the Bridge'
    Was with a few non supporting Chelski mates.Never known such an intimidating atmosphere.Kicked off big time at final whistle as Chelski were relegated.Happy days

Also attended this match and meet another two charlton fans as i entered the shed end.
    I was also there - stood in the shed end watching it all happen and it didn't seem that weird.

Given the number of us that were there, is it reasonable to say we took the shed end?
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Villa 1 Juve 2 (1983). Not literally a league game in those days, European Cup quarter final first leg game, but they were both genuine champions. Juve were like real swaggering aristocrats against yokels (come to think of it, the comparison between the fans was much the same). I thought Boniek had a mostly very quiet game until his one big moment. Don't know details of the Juve line-up, but this was in the 2nd Leg:

1 Zoff age 41
    2 Gentile 29
    3 Cabrini 25
    4 Bonini 23
    5 Brio 26
    6 Scirea 29
    7 Bettega 32
    8 Tardelli 28
    9 Rossi 26
    10 Platini 27
    11 Boniek 27

Coach Trapattoni

https://youtu.be/QSlTkb1oUxw
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    1st ever match Chelsea 0-2 Spurs which pleased my old man, Tottenham but from later visits I'm sure we were in Shed end and I remember being passed over the turnstile. Biggest crowd short of Wembley.
  • Options
    Stood on the Kop when Liverpool beat Aston Villa to win the league titlel in 1981.
  • Options
    Erith and Belvedere once, and then Oxford v Cambridge at the old Wembley when I was at school.
  • Options
    Not league games but saw Barcelona win the European Cup at Wembley in 92, followed in 93 by Palma winning the Cup Winners Cup there. England Cameroon at Italia 90 is probably my stick-out favourite though.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Not a league game, but the biggest Non Charlton game I have been to was the Euro 2000 Final (France v Italy).

I also remember in the 1985/86 season I went to a few West Ham home games with my Grandad. West Ham finished 3rd in the old 1st Division. I remember going to see the play 3 home games in 6 days in the run in to the end of the season, amongst others.
  • Options
    Man U v Liverpool - Stratford end when they won 1-0 last minute winner from Rio, went up with a United mate and atmosphere was unreal. Actually been Old Trafford a few times , England game, Charlton away several times and that once in their end.

Spurs v Arsenal @ Wembley - Last year when Spurs won 2-0, went with a mate but didn't get a seat with him. Very odd experience, didn't feel like a derby and atmosphere expected better.

Before the game an Arsenal fan was standing in the spurs area before you go in in bright yellow fluorescent jacket and somehow didn't get a beating, not sure how.