Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England v United States / Croatia

12346»

Comments

• You could make a strong case for saying that the route to winning the Nations League is harder than winning the World Cup!

Certainly if your Germany or even Luxembourg; i.e. the former cant add it to their trophy cabinet until 2023 at the earliest, whilst the latter cant win it until 2027 (?) - Luxembourg (despite being a very long shot) could still win the 2022 World Cup
  • Sage said:

Really like this England squad and group of players who have yet to really make a stamp on the national side who you know are bound to over the coming few years.

Very exciting and huge credit to Southgate too.

Semi-final of a World Cup and winning a group containing Spain and Croatia in a space of a few months. Bodes well for us going forward.

Humble pie time. I was totally unenthused with Southgate's appointment. Whilst I was glad to see the back of the dinosaur that is Allardyce, I thought Southgate was simply picked as he was a subservient 'yes man' to the FA. How wrong was I! So refreshingly progressive, articulate and a great tactical and footballing brain; best England coach/manager since Hoddle. He, and the likes of Eddie Howe, put managerial bandwagon people like Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes, Pardew and Bruce to shame.

Exciting times ahead as an English football fan.

• Same as, @bazjonster . I thought this was another crony type FA appointment, but so far he has been everything the previous appointments never were. Easy to be happy when we win like yesterday, and in football there are always tougher days to face, but I'll share a bit of your humble pie if that's okay - I'm very happy to be proved wrong by Southgate.
  • Something to make the victory a little sweeter. Apparently Dejan Lovren said before the game:

"I elbowed him (Ramos) good. Haha! 3-2! Go ahead and talk now buddy. They are a bunch of pussies. Now to beat England and walk out like a boss."

Link
  • Despite finishing second there was a lot of satisfaction in Spain that Croatia lost, mostly linked to stuff Lovren said after Croatia beat Spain. To be fair, I've read he was disciplined by the Croatia manager, but considering Croatia apparently described England as arrogant before the WC semi final because of us singing the 3 Lions song, seems like some of their players got a well earned correction yesterday.
  • edited November 2018

Despite finishing second there was a lot of satisfaction in Spain that Croatia lost, mostly linked to stuff Lovren said after Croatia beat Spain. To be fair, I've read he was disciplined by the Croatia manager, but considering Croatia apparently described England as arrogant before the WC semi final because of us singing the 3 Lions song, seems like some of their players got a well earned correction yesterday.

This feels like one of the most irritating myths of the World Cup

I dont recall anyone thinking that we'd walk over Croatia and whilst I thought our good record would see us through I knew it would be a tough game - Certainly wasnt a case like the 2002 World Cup where our press bigged us up so much against Brazil, they ended up having endless ammunition to use for the team talks ahead of that game
  • Redweb said:

I think it was a team performance above all else. A man of the match didn't really jump out at you. Switzerland v Belgium tonight should be interesting.

Or maybe not. All over after 21 mins
    Not all over, 2-2 now.
    ?

That comment was in reference to the Switzerland v Belgium match.
  • Sage said:

Really like this England squad and group of players who have yet to really make a stamp on the national side who you know are bound to over the coming few years.

Very exciting and huge credit to Southgate too.

Semi-final of a World Cup and winning a group containing Spain and Croatia in a space of a few months. Bodes well for us going forward.

Humble pie time. I was totally unenthused with Southgate's appointment. Whilst I was glad to see the back of the dinosaur that is Allardyce, I thought Southgate was simply picked as he was a subservient 'yes man' to the FA. How wrong was I! So refreshingly progressive, articulate and a great tactical and footballing brain; best England coach/manager since Hoddle. He, and the likes of Eddie Howe, put managerial bandwagon people like Allardyce, Pulis, Hughes, Pardew and Bruce to shame.

Exciting times ahead as an English football fan.

I reckon this is the view of many