Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL Trip to The Somme & Arras - July 2019

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    N01R4M said:

Another one in the Holiday Inn - there were 6 twins available when I booked this morning. My guess is that these booking companies take the option on just a few rooms at a time, and top up as they get booked.

If not then I'd have thought it would be a case of Booking.com having X number of rooms | Hotels.com have a certain amount | Expedia have a certain amount etc.
  • Options
    Im booked into the holiday inn as well. Stayed there when i went to see england colombia in france 98
  • Options
    MadGerman said:

Michael and I are in as well. As last year we arrive from Germany and are going to meet you on Saturday morning/noon at the first place of the itinerary. We've booked a room at the Ibis Centre not to far from the Mercure and Holiday Inn.
    Really looking forward to see you there.

Glad you are planning to share this weekend with "les fou anglais"! It was good meeting you last time.

Where you led in 2017, joining us in Ypres, your President has now followed by participating in the Remembrance ceremonies in London this year. You've set a trend!!
  • Options
    Another one in the Holiday Inn, we might have taken the whole of one floor at this rate.
  • Options
    I've booked into the Holiday Inn Express with the opportunity to cancel. Providing I get the nod from She Who Must Be Obeyed, I'll sort out the deposit at the weekend.
  • Options

I've booked into the Holiday Inn Express with the opportunity to cancel. Providing I get the nod from She Who Must Be Obeyed, I'll sort out the deposit at the weekend.

Glad I booked the Ibis then.
  • Options
    stayed in arras for the euros - we stayed in the grand place hotel - very pleasant and wasn't terribly expensive, nice restaurant on site aswell which can be a bit trumpy, alternatively was a lovely kebab shop 2 mins away.
  • Options
    Limited number of places available now
  • Options
    2 potentially interested. The missus is just checking dates etc.

Won't be offended if others take the places before she makes up her mind. Will serve her right for dithering...
  • Options

Won't be offended if others take the places before she makes up her mind. Will serve her right for dithering...

If so they might be the last two places
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can confirm that there are now only two places remaining
  • Options
    edited November 2018

If so they might be the last two places
    Sending the missus a link to this page so she could read the details for herself was a bad idea as she saw I said she was dithering and wasn't too happy.

We can't make that date. Clashes with a wedding I didn't know I'd been invited to....

I'm sure you'll find 2 people to fill the trip. Sure you'll have a brilliant time.

As a pure coincidence tonight whilst cooking I was watching a BBC documentary on ww1 from a few years ago on YouTube and our very own Clive made an appearance!
  • Options

I’ll take them please mate.

• Options

Will PM you bank details later
  • Options
    Hi Neal I'm looking for at least 3 places at the moment but if there is only 2 left I'll take them anyway.
  • Options
    Nutz55 said:

Hi Neal I'm looking for at least 3 places at the moment but if there is only 2 left I'll take them anyway.

Looking likely only one place remaining, will update tomorrow

• Options
    Can confirm there is just one place remaining
  • Options
    Hi Neal can I have that last place then please and could I also have first refusal on any cancellations. I would like to lay a reef at my Great Uncles grave at Caterpillar Valley. He left London for New Zealand during the gold rush and while he was there signed up with the New Zealand rifles.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nutz55 said:

Hi Neal can I have that last place then please and could I also have first refusal on any cancellations. I would like to lay a reef at my Great Uncles grave at Caterpillar Valley. He left London for New Zealand during the gold rush and while he was there signed up with the New Zealand rifles.

have sent you a PM

• Options
    Large - I have one more for the waiting list please - happy to pay a deposit if helpful....
  • Options

Large - I have one more for the waiting list please - happy to pay a deposit if helpful....

will bear you in mind if anyone drops out, will worry about deposit if/when that happens

• Options

Please see your PM

• Options
    Any chance of taking a second coach? One sold out in a few days, maybe we could squeak a second?
  • Options

Any chance of taking a second coach? One sold out in a few days, maybe we could squeak a second?

That’s not really practical for a number of reasons. We were reluctant to increase the size of the original coach as it is. Firstly those on a second coach would miss out on Clive’s on board commentary, anecdotes etc. Secondly, if we had seventy people standing round, say, a grave not everyone would get to hear what Clive is saying and that isn’t fair. To be honest I’m not comfortable entirely with hiring the bigger coach because a smaller group is more intimate and works better but we mainly did so because Clive wanted your group to be involved.

If there is interest we could maybe repeat it the year after next, who knows, but taking another coach next year isn’t an option.

• Options
    Thanks Large - that makes sense.
  • Options

That’s not really practical for a number of reasons. We were reluctant to increase the size of the original coach as it is. Firstly those on a second coach would miss out on Clive’s on board commentary, anecdotes etc. Secondly, if we had seventy people standing round, say, a grave not everyone would get to hear what Clive is saying and that isn’t fair. To be honest I’m not comfortable entirely with hiring the bigger coach because a smaller group is more intimate and works better but we mainly did so because Clive wanted your group to be involved.

If there is interest we could maybe repeat it the year after next, who knows, but taking another coach next year isn’t an option.

I can't do the one next July, but would be interested in any future trip. I appreciate it is a lot of work for both LargeAddick and Clive, I'd be happy to help out if you did repeat it in 2020.
  • Options
    Clive is available for weddings, bar mitzvahs or you can book on one of his regular tours here http://www.battle-honours.eu/

Or you could visit the museum and catch him there.
  • Options
    we will be visiting Caterpillar Valley as part of the tour so that would work perfectly, the NZ Unknown Warrior was exhumed from there around twenty years back, it was a very moving day. From the cemetery you are afforded good views over the ground attacked by the NZ Division 15 September 1916.

Fred Chick is also buried in the cemetery so it was already on the itinerary, he died a couple of months earlier on the edge of High Wood attached to the Middlesex regiment. I also have a Great Uncle buried in Caterpillar Valley, Ernie Tuckwell he was from Herne Hill and died in the Rifle Brigade in October 1916, his brother Tommy Tuckwell was a London Bus driver and drove them in France ferrying troops about.

15th September 1916 was the day he died.