Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Embarrassing moments in and around Charlton

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Similar thread here, I can’t find the exact post but there’s a great story about a lad who gets stuck to a fence at Maine Road (edit: on the third page):

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/5653/most-embarrassing-moment-at-a-football-match/p1

• Options
    I ruptured my ACL celebrating a Jonnie Jackson (i think) goal against Peterborough at The Valley. That was a bit embarrassing and fucking painful haha!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    1905 said:

Taxi_Lad said:

Preseason away to Palarse. I went along after work on my own and sat in the Holmesdale. At the end of the game I made my way to the stairs whilst making a massive yawn when my jaw popped and locked open. I sought help from St John’s ambulance guys who took me to a room. Thought I’d managed to avoid any attention from onlookers and it’d be sorted but they decided I needed to see the club doctor So they led me out and around the pitch, looking like I was wearing a ‘scream’ mask whilst the players were coming out for a warm down. Felt like they all stopped and stared!!

Was it ever resolved?

Not by Palarse’s club doctor, useless twonk. Spent 4 hrs at A&E and it popped back in of its own accord
  • Options

Not mega embarrassing but my Dad likes to remind me of it all the same.

Charlton vs Shrewsbury early last season (I think) - game ends 4-3 to them and Ricky Holmes was the only player doing anything in the whole game, so much so he was charging out of his position on the RW all over the shop, I'm ranting at my Dad "Why does he do that? He's miles out of position and leaving Solly at RB exposed, there's acres of room on the right wing now if he was there to collect the ball and cross/attack he'd be much more effective than crowding the centre of the pitch", at pretty much this exact point he picks up the ball in the middle of the park and unleashes a trademark Holmes screamer in to the top right from about 30 yards out.

Dad just looks at me with a big shit-eating grin at the egg all over my face.

Have done this sort of thing several times. I can't remember who we were playing, but el karkouri picks up the ball 40yrds out. The shout of "shooooot" goes up from the home areas and I immediately go "No, don't "! It went strangely quiet as a said those words, then he arrowed the ball into the bottom corner haha! We won the game, so I was happy to admit I was wrong
  • Options
    I once walked up the stairs to the top of the North upper, turned around too quickly and fell halfway back down again. Few too many beers in the Horse and Groom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having spent the first 25 years of my life living in Charlton, I need to think a bit about the most embarrassing moments in Charlton - let alone, around Charlton.
  • Options
    Done my cruciate ligament a week before the away leg of the playoffs at selhurst.
    It was probably the only time we’ve played them that I hadn’t had a good beer (I didn’t have any because of antibiotics).
    I can only think that because I limped off the train at Norwood, the old bill thought I’d been scrapping or was shitfaced and decided to frogmarch me across the road and try and stand me against the pub wall to take a mugshot.
  • Options

I did similar at St Mary’s when (with 10 men for an hour) - big Chris scores a 90th minute winner.

I was screaming at Varney to keep it at the corner flag and produced a stream of abuse as he crossed it......

What, you shit yourself again?
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Sitting in the East Stand near the Covered end some years' ago with friends and family- we were playing Wolves. Anyway the ball was pinging about in the penalty area at the other end when I clearly saw an opposition players punch the ball clear... PENALTY!! I screamed. Imagine how I felt when one of the lads turned amidst much laughter saying "He's the goalkeeper, he's allowed to handle it!"

I bet your husband had a right go at you for that!
  • Options
    Not quite, I wear the trousers in my house (well that's what the missus lets me think anyway!)
  • Options
    No manners, but a great fashion critic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kigelia said:

Home to Oxford 1992, second game back at The Valley. 1-0 down ten minutes to go, the management bring on Bumstead for Robinson. Cue me going apeshit at Gritt and Curbs - "What's the fucking point in bringing on a player who's never bloody scored for us when we're chasing the game..." etc etc.

Inevitably Bummers slots the equaliser within 60 seconds.

I remember that game. you weren't by chance sitting in the jimmy seed stand were you? I remember bumstead giving someone in the crowd a right load of abuse after scoring.

No - covered end, but the fuss I was making he might have heard me. :blush:
  • Options
    Carter said:

MrOneLung said:

Back in the Selhurst days, I was in the Arthur Wait aged about 15/16 and got up the courage to start a 'Give us a C' chant and was concentrating so hard on doing the deeper sounding 'T' that I forgot to do the letter L

we know someone who did that at Ipswich don't we @Gumbo
    There was a lot of things that happened at Ipswich that day I’m embarrassed about

• Options
    Going home and explaining to mum why the front of me was covered in red paint.

Arriving at the Valley one Saturday to find the top 18 inches of the wall where we bunk in had been painted red. Only when sliding over did we realise it was non drying. Mum was not pleased.
  • Options
    Most embarrassing moment for me was at an away game at the Dell (Southampton) some years back.
    Before kick off there was a minutes silence for their team coach driver who had been killed on the M3 earlier that week.
    You could have heard a pin drop.....then completely out of the blue an arshole ‘one of ours’ shouted out BOLLOCKS at the top of his voice. It was heard by everyone in the stadium.
    Felt like I wanted to curl up in a ball.
  • Options

Arriving at the Valley one Saturday to find the top 18 inches of the wall where we bunk in had been painted red. Only when sliding over did we realise it was non drying. Mum was not pleased.

Did we win though?
  • Options

Did we win though?
    No idea.
  • Options

Most embarrassing moment for me was at an away game at the Dell (Southampton) some years back.
    Before kick off there was a minutes silence for their team coach driver who had been killed on the M3 earlier that week.
    You could have heard a pin drop.....then completely out of the blue an arshole ‘one of ours’ shouted out BOLLOCKS at the top of his voice. It was heard by everyone in the stadium.

I remember that game. Safe to say the Saints fans weren't best pleased by that.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Getting invited to a certain establishment in se9 at the request of a Charlton employee, at 60 years old and going through a DBS check I was asked if I quoted another poster on here with words I won't repeat in this post. Explaining that it was at worse school playground stuff and asking if I could meet the person offended and offer my apologies I was told that won't happen, so I'll never know who I upset!!! Then I was told I my DBS could be at risk by going through the system or I could make it go away by signing a piece paper to say I'll never do it again. Yes, I'm embarrassed by my actions but equally I'm embarrassed that my association with the club has led to that. If I ever step foot in the Valley again on a permanent basis it's something I'll never forgive the club for, the month to six weeks of not knowing if my volunteer work was going to happen.
    ***********DISCLAIMER************
    *any simularities be they fact or fiction of things that may or may not have happened are purely coincidental* ;)
  • Options

I remember that game. Safe to say the Saints fans weren't best pleased by that.
    As far as I know, the culprit was asked to leave at half time by a combination of security staff and Old Bill.
    But don’t quote me on that.