Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Embarrassing moments in and around Charlton

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

I did similar at St Mary’s when (with 10 men for an hour) - big Chris scores a 90th minute winner.

I was screaming at Varney to keep it at the corner flag and produced a stream of abuse as he crossed it......

I remember this game and being almost deliriously happy afterwards, right up to the minute I got flashed by a camera for incorrectly entering a box junction on the drive home, the thought of the points on my license took away a lot of the joy.......but not quite all.
  • Options
    Halix said:

I did similar at St Mary’s when (with 10 men for an hour) - big Chris scores a 90th minute winner.

I was screaming at Varney to keep it at the corner flag and produced a stream of abuse as he crossed it......

I remember this game and being almost deliriously happy afterwards, right up to the minute I got flashed by a camera for incorrectly entering a box junction on the drive home, the thought of the points on my license took away a lot of the joy.......but not quite all.
    Not quite on that level but I remember a game at The Dell when John Humphies got sent. I was with a couple of friends (Saints fans) and standing on the hallway line as he trudged dejectedly past me. He looked so forlorn I couldn't help calling out something encouraging like 'keep your chin up mate!" Don't who was more surprised, Johnny H. or the Saints fans around me! If I remember we got a 1-1 draw.

• Options
    Yeovil in the rain when I was dressed in a bin bag thinking it would make an ounce of difference
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Yeovil in the rain when I was dressed in a bin bag thinking it would make an ounce of difference

Nothing would have made a difference that day.....heroes each and every one of you that saw out that 90 minutes of heavy driving rain, the wind was also horrendous and blowing straight at the away end into your faces.....very very fortunately I was in the main stand......I’ve always felt a bit of guilt about that.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Nothing would have made a difference that day.....heroes each and every one of you that saw out that 90 minutes of heavy driving rain, the wind was also horrendous and blowing straight at the away end into your faces.....very very fortunately I was in the main stand......I’ve always felt a bit of guilt about that.
    To this day I’m genuinely amazed how that game didn’t get called off.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Was a great performance from Charlton that day... How we didnt win I'll never know

Didnt Sam Sodje get sent off in the first half as well? - Or was that on another trip to Yeovil?
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Was a great performance from Charlton that day... How we didnt win I'll never know

Didnt Sam Sodje get sent off in the first half as well? - Or was that on another trip to Yeovil?
    He did. And we dominated the game with ten min for about an hour afterwards.

Their goal kick went out for a corner - the wind was that strong!
  • Options

cafctom said:

I spent the 2nd half on the CLIT coach, trying to dry out. I’d seen the forecast so took the precaution of taking a spare pair of jeans and top.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2018
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

He did. And we dominated the game with ten min for about an hour afterwards.

Their goal kick went out for a corner - the wind was that strong!
    Yeah Alex McCarthy the now Southampton Goalkeeper... Always been a big fan of his from that day as think it was his Goalkeeping that stopped us getting a winner; they of course dominated the first half because of the wind and then roles reversed

Looking at their team from that day they also had Ryan Mason in the team so wasnt a bad Yeovil side

For me and a mate, whenever we talk about the away games we went to, the stories always go back to that Yeovil trip - Had been sitting in a pub in town (as we Friday to Sunday) all morning and didnt realise how much it had been pissing it down - Got to the Ground and decided to stand off to the left corner of the terrace, hadnt been standing there for two seconds when an extremely strong gust of wind came along and knocked me over, didnt quite have time to grap the terrace before I was on my arse
  • Options

cafctom said:

I spent the 2nd half on the CLIT coach, trying to dry out. I’d seen the forecast so took the precaution of taking a spare pair of jeans and top.
    Didnt a load of our fans run into their club shop to get a dry set of clothing for the trip home? - I certainly remember walking to an ASDA afterwards and seeing loads of other Charlton / Yeovil fans just wandering around for a while trying to dry off
  • Options

Most embarrassing moment for me was at an away game at the Dell (Southampton) some years back.
    Before kick off there was a minutes silence for their team coach driver who had been killed on the M3 earlier that week.
    You could have heard a pin drop.....then completely out of the blue an arshole ‘one of ours’ shouted out BOLLOCKS at the top of his voice. It was heard by everyone in the stadium.
    Felt like I wanted to curl up in a ball.

I remember that game. Safe to say the Saints fans weren't best pleased by that.
    Maybe it was that incident that started a series of spats between fans of the two clubs, culminating in the battle of maze hill.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Not quite, I wear the trousers in my house
    ( Yes and your mrs chooses the colour)

• Options

cafctom said:

And necked someone's bottle of red wine - I seem to remember?

• Options

addick05 said:

Not quite, I wear the trousers in my house
    ( Yes and your mrs chooses the colour)

You've obviously met the wife!

• Options
    1905 said:

cafctom said:

He wasn't happy was he.

Still f**k him, we're all meeting up this Friday for a beer and he's blown it out as he's going to see Sarah Millican!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

1905 said:

cafctom said:

He wasn't happy was he.

Still f**k him, we're all meeting up this Friday for a beer and he's blown it out as he's going to see Sarah Millican!

Fat bamboo eating tosser

• Options
    Danepak said:

I started supporting Charlton in '99, shortly after I'd moved to London.
    One of the first games I went to, I had little knowledge of the history of the club.
    Used to have a few drinks on the train and also in the Royal Oak, so often I was in a good mood, when I turned up at the Valley.
    During one of those early games, at half time, a few kids were trying to score from the penalty spot.
    I was being a smart arse and loudly asked who the old fucking clown in goal was?
    'That's Bob Bolder, a Charlton legend, you fucking idiot!'.
    I kept quiet after that.

Reminds me of my Mum that does...

Wasnt a season ticket holder until the 98/99 season so had to wait until the General Sale before I was able to get a ticket to the Play-Off Final; went on sale on a Monday morning (when I had school) so my Mum got up @ 4am (she loves to remind me of that) to get down into the queue... Got home that night and my Mum tells me a story of what happened in the queue

Basically everyone was talking about this current player so my pipes up and goes: "Whose this Clive Mendonca your all talking about?" - Deadly silence descended on those around her apprarently... We still laugh amongst the family and bring up the quote all the time