Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help to prevent our countryside falling silent

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2018

Carter said:

Parakeets are a beautiful and weird addition to North West Kent and South East London

When I used to work up that way it was worth being aware of the existence of them and not to park a vehicle anywhere near where they hang out as they shit a phenomenal amount, shit that quite often contains gravel and obliterates car paintwork

I love seeing them mobbed up and being a menace, apparently they are all descendants of one escapee family from years ago. mental!

There's a big mob of them that decimate the apple tree in our back garden in late summer/autumn. I like to see and hear them but they do make a bloody racket when they gang up!
    Disappointed your first comment on here wasn’t something about being in favour of anything that helps the preservation of tits.

#standardsareslipping

• Options

McBobbin said:

My house back onto train tracks, so there's a nice artery for wildlife despite being in the city centre... And there's a small wildlife reserve on the other side. Get the occasional muntjac deer in the garden. Also see plenty of slow worms, newts, toads and frogs, bats, and all manner of birds. Jays are my particular favourites. Also seen foxes and evidence of badgers.

Bollocks to the wildlife, your house backs onto train lines? Proper Charlton.
    Throwing open the curtains of a morning is like opening a trusty copy of razzle.

The nature reserve is great, though it seems to mainly house spice addicts. Makes for some entertaining scenes I suppose
  • Options

I envy some of you guys for the wildlife you get now, from what you write.

What I have experienced is that 20 years ago, I could get 100 small birds at a time in and immediately around my small garden, just as a reward for putting out a small amount of food. My records are 60+ goldfinches at one time, 60+ fledgling starlings (boy, do they make a racket), and so on. But now, without moving, I'm surrounded by people with graveled-over front gardens, decking, rye grass deserts at best, they block up the little holes under the fences that hedgehogs need to get about and survive, then there's all the noise (trains, so many light aircraft now, as well as traffic, so many idiots with chain saws doing so much "tidying up") and air pollution from traffic and wood burners. I heard a blackbird near me a few days ago and it sounded like it was really screaming its head off to be heard. I've never heard one so loud. And I'm lucky if i ever get 10 birds at a time in the garden. In some species, huge losses are caused by diseases spread around the globe by humans that then spread across the country in a few years.

A lot of the local environmental degradation is a result of land being bought up by developers for thousands more executive boxes on the town's unofficial green belt - executive boxes no-one will be able to afford, if they build them. But, while they are not building them, they grub up the hedgerows and really let the land degrade for the wildlife. It's a town near a motorway and so it's an easy target for the county council to dump commuter dormitory estates on, to satisfy the Government Inspector.

I thought all lowland England was heading that way. After all, HS2 alone will be responsible for damage to or the destruction of an obscene number of ancient woodlands. AONBs and SSSIs are open to development, too. But we must have growth, eh? Growth uber alles.

It's very difficult to 'like' a post like that, but I do agree with it. It's sad how often us humans take an entitled view of "our property" and do whatever we want without thinking through the consequences. Even as a nature lover I fall into this trap myself. A few years ago block paving was all the rage, now I hear people talking about plastic lawns. I succumbed to the first, but fake plastic gardens, really!!?!?!?!
  • Options

I miss the parakeets since moving from SE London but here in darkest East Sussex we see plenty of buzzards, the odd Sparrowhawk and to see an Owl in flight is a wonderful thing especially if it's a Barn Owl.

We to moved from SE London (Lee) so no parakeets here (saw plenty in the back garden in Lee). Plenty of crows, magpies, pigeons and of course seagulls.
  • Options
    Was a frequent visitor to our garden. Sadly not been seen recently.
  • Options

Some of the visitors to our plot -

- The pair of kingfishers on our lake. Over the moon to get these. Photo taken from spare room window

- The robin flew into the kitchen window, spent a while coming back round and flew off out my hand, right as rain

- We get a shed loads of the fire salamanders and only recently found out how rare they are.

Also over the moon that we get a pair of black woodpeckers around this time every year, feeding on a couple of dead tree stumps on the edge of the woods, but we not seen em yet this year, and it's virtually impossible to get a photo as they're off as soon as look at you.

amazing photos @i_b_b_o_r_g

I'd not heard of black woodpeckers before. Googled them - beautiful birds.
  • Options
    Got a few photos that taken on my mooches. I'll have a sort out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A clutch of yellow wagtails we had squatting in an old flower pot last year. All 6 successfully fledged -

• Options
    I get plenty of birds in my garden - dunnocks, starlings, sparrows, robins, collared doves and a few wood pigeons. Also have blue tits nesting close by and have seen coal tits.

No parakeets but have seen them in and around Dartford. Luckily the magpies also seem to stay away from my garden.

I have a feeding station which has a variety of different foods for them all. I've also got a woodpile to attract and house insects.

I have a squirrel that's an occasional visitor and always leave it some peanuts when I see it.
  • Options
    Best thing I ever saw in my garden (SE12) was a hummingbird hawk-moth. Curious thing hung around for sometime. It's the only time I've ever seen one.
  • Options

- We get a shed loads of the fire salamanders and only recently found out how rare they are.

Never seen a fire salamander in the wild, they're not a native species but seem to have established themselves a little bit

A much more successful introduced species is the Marsh Frog. I visited the RSPB reserve in Rainham Marsh last year, and saw several, they love the conditions there!

• Options
    Ever since the landlord finally sorted out the gaping hole in the roof the colony of pigeons that were living in the loft above my flat have gone.

Now all I hear are the sounds of the police cars blitzing it down the South Circular and the cries of pissed up young people being thrown out of the pub opposite.

I love London.
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Ever since the landlord finally sorted out the gaping hole in the roof the colony of pigeons that were living in the loft above my flat have gone.

Now all I hear are the sounds of the police cars blitzing it down the South Circular and the cries of pissed up young people being thrown out of the pub opposite.

I love London.

Burnt Ash Road?
  • Options
    I’m not sure if they are native to our shores but these little critters seem to be thriving in our local park.....

• Options
    edited November 2018

I left my garage door open last year for one reason or another, before I knew it Robins were flying in and out building a nest on an old set of shelves I had standing in the corner.

Being a wildlife softie I let them them crack on and never closed the garage door for months after. Just as well I sold my business a while ago as well because I would not be using my boots and hard hat :smile:

If you look closely you can see mum's tail sticking up in the back of the nest, I bought a bag of Robin Mix as well and the glass dish you can see on top of the shelves was a little supplement for them.

During the wet winter a few years ago when a lot of rodents were moving about, I had a neighbour complaining bitterly to me about how a mouse had got into his garage and crapped in his golf shoes. The garages are in a block at the bottom of a flight of steps and separate from either property. He seemed to think it was my fault because I have a few scrupulously maintained bird tables in my back garden. I kept a straight face - he tended to run around in little circles and wave his arms around if anyone crossed him, but what a moron.
  • Options
    Stig said:

What I have experienced is that 20 years ago, I could get 100 small birds at a time in and immediately around my small garden, just as a reward for putting out a small amount of food. My records are 60+ goldfinches at one time, 60+ fledgling starlings (boy, do they make a racket), and so on. But now, without moving, I'm surrounded by people with graveled-over front gardens, decking, rye grass deserts at best, they block up the little holes under the fences that hedgehogs need to get about and survive, then there's all the noise (trains, so many light aircraft now, as well as traffic, so many idiots with chain saws doing so much "tidying up") and air pollution from traffic and wood burners. I heard a blackbird near me a few days ago and it sounded like it was really screaming its head off to be heard. I've never heard one so loud. And I'm lucky if i ever get 10 birds at a time in the garden. In some species, huge losses are caused by diseases spread around the globe by humans that then spread across the country in a few years.

A lot of the local environmental degradation is a result of land being bought up by developers for thousands more executive boxes on the town's unofficial green belt - executive boxes no-one will be able to afford, if they build them. But, while they are not building them, they grub up the hedgerows and really let the land degrade for the wildlife. It's a town near a motorway and so it's an easy target for the county council to dump commuter dormitory estates on, to satisfy the Government Inspector.

I thought all lowland England was heading that way. After all, HS2 alone will be responsible for damage to or the destruction of an obscene number of ancient woodlands. AONBs and SSSIs are open to development, too. But we must have growth, eh? Growth uber alles.

It's very difficult to 'like' a post like that, but I do agree with it. It's sad how often us humans take an entitled view of "our property" and do whatever we want without thinking through the consequences. Even as a nature lover I fall into this trap myself. A few years ago block paving was all the rage, now I hear people talking about plastic lawns. I succumbed to the first, but fake plastic gardens, really!!?!?!?!
    It's ironic that while a lot of people say kids need to be able to get outside and play more, and some govt minister just a day or two ago was saying every little sprog needs to climb a tree, in reality a lot of parents virtually sterilise their back gardens, cutting down mature shrubs, crapping themselves about every little spider, etc.

Is it really true some kids don't know what the animal that is the source of beef looks like, or is that one of those modern fake news items?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stig said:

It's ironic that while a lot of people say kids need to be able to get outside and play more, and some govt minister just a day or two ago was saying every little sprog needs to climb a tree, in reality a lot of parents virtually sterilise their back gardens, cutting down mature shrubs, crapping themselves about every little spider, etc.

Is it really true some kids don't know what the animal that is the source of beef looks like, or is that one of those modern fake news items?
    Depends on the parents mate, I know the ones who hide everything from their kids and let them believe the world is some sort of fairyland in which consequences do not exist and I know ones who let their kids play outside, explain things to them, make them aware actions have consequences and the like.

• Options
    Would it be fair to say that the larger birds, especially the more omniverous types seem to have gained over the smaller ones

For example, magpies and crows are far more common in urban areas now than they used to be, ditto pigeons, wood pigeons, gulls etc
  • Options

Got a few photos that taken on my mooches. I'll have a sort out

I've always found France to be really good for birds. We stayed at a place in the Vendee a few years ago and I saw black storks, black kite, montagu's harrier, short toed eagle and red backed shrike all without leaving the garden.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    McBobbin said:

My house back onto train tracks, so there's a nice artery for wildlife despite being in the city centre... And there's a small wildlife reserve on the other side. Get the occasional muntjac deer in the garden. Also see plenty of slow worms, newts, toads and frogs, bats, and all manner of birds. Jays are my particular favourites. Also seen foxes and evidence of badgers.

You live just the other side of the reserve to me then.

A couple of years ago I saw a flock of goldcrest. Thats the most Ive seen in there but down by Writtle College I've seen plenty of badgers and even had the pleasure of an otter creeping up on me when I was feeding the trout on the river. Was no more than 6ft away from me. In August I did a spot of fishing down in admirals park (right by the little bridge you cross on the parkrun) and a grass snake swam out from under my feet. That was a pleasant surprise as I havent seen a snake in years and the last one I only spotted cos I pissed on it. Got its revenge though cos it sped away and I jumped so high I pissed all over myself too.
  • Options
    Interesting so much talk of robins on this thread, as I saw 7 in my garden this afternoon.

Never seen more than 3-4 before at one time.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Interesting so much talk of robins on this thread, as I saw 7 in my garden this afternoon.

Robins are territorial and quite aggressive to others so it's rare to see a lot together.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Were they bob bob bobbing along?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Had a pair of Jays in the garden the other day, what a racket! And as for those bloody parakeets...

The parakeets are a bit of a curse in London now, especially south and west London as their racket drowns out every other bird!
    They need controlling and are on the general licence
    @i_b_b_o_r_g what does that mean, please?
  • Options
    I remember as a kid in the 60s being woken by the dawn chorus, a real cacophony of noise starting at around 3 am. I suppose you'd have to be of a certain age to remember that in the London area.

The other thing that strikes me is the demise of insects. A drive in the country during the 70s would leave the car wind screen absolutely spattered, that doesn't happen nowadays. With less insects there are less birds. It seems that all our wildlife is being squeezed out for the reasons given in @MountsfieldPark's excellent post.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Had a pair of Jays in the garden the other day, what a racket! And as for those bloody parakeets...

The parakeets are a bit of a curse in London now, especially south and west London as their racket drowns out every other bird!
    They need controlling and are on the general licence
    @i_b_b_o_r_g what does that mean, please?
    It's basically a list, renewed every year, that lists ‘pest birds’ species that can be controlled without applying for any other specific licence. On the list at the moment are -

feral pigeon
    crow
    collared dove
    lesser black-backed gull
    jackdaw
    jay
    magpie
    rook
    woodpigeon
    Canada goose
    monk parakeet
    ring-necked parakeet
    Egyptian goose

ALL wild birds are protected in the UK under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981), but those on the General Licence can be controlled using permitted methods, after all other methods (scaring for example) have failed.