Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Pete Shelley

13»

Comments

• Options

I think it was the only gig I went to at the Poly. I have a vague recollection of a grubby basic downstairs bar off what looked like a dinner hall ? Am I right ?

Yes, with a high stage.

I don't think I ever went to another "gig" there either. Mostly 2nd rate hippy bands.
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options

I think it was the only gig I went to at the Poly. I have a vague recollection of a grubby basic downstairs bar off what looked like a dinner hall ? Am I right ?

Yes, with a high stage.

I don't think I ever went to another "gig" there either. Mostly 2nd rate hippy bands.
    I remember seeing Stray at the Poly but was in early 70's, also Pink Fairies, and some others. Great gigs, but Buzzcocks surpassed them.
  • Options

Yes, with a high stage.

After the Buzzcocks maybe - but before they played there I saw The Kinks and Genesis there late 60s/early 70s (I was very young!) and The Stranglers at some point but can't remember when (that drunken haze again). I also have a vague recollection of Van de Graaff Generator but that could have been an hallucination!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Yes, with a high stage.

After the Buzzcocks maybe - but before they played there I saw The Kinks and Genesis there late 60s/early 70s (I was very young!) and The Stranglers at some point but can't remember when (that drunken haze again). I also have a vague recollection of Van de Graaff Generator but that could have been an hallucination!
    before my time. I was only 16 when I saw Buzzcocks there.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Yes, with a high stage.

I was only a little bit older!!! (ok 4 years older!)
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Yes, with a high stage.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

As the poet once wrote
  • Options
    anyone see any of these?

• Options
    edited December 2018

bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

Yes, with a high stage.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now

As the poet once wrote
    ... and what a poet.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
    Too noble to neglect
    Deceived me into thinking
    I had something to protect
    Good and bad, I define these terms
    Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
    Ah, but I was so much older then
    I'm younger than that now.

Edit: Apologies - this thread is about Pete Shelley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Lurkers also played there after the Buzzcocks. @Big William can advise who supported them.
  • Options

The Lurkers also played there after the Buzzcocks. @Big William can advise who supported them.

Loved their single ‘Shadow’
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Loved their single ‘Shadow’
    They're playing the Hope & Anchor in February.
  • Options

What I remember about that one was a load of skinheads turned up, and things kicked off pretty badly. There was a different set of bouncers on to normal who seemed to be well up for it as well and Lurkers gave up half way through. Waiting for the bus afterwards, it seemed like half the Met was swarming around the streets. Just another night in South London.....!

• Options

What I remember about that one was a load of skinheads turned up, and things kicked off pretty badly. There was a different set of bouncers on to normal who seemed to be well up for it as well and Lurkers gave up half way through. Waiting for the bus afterwards, it seemed like half the Met was swarming around the streets. Just another night in South London.....!

Didn't you say hello to Esso on the stair well and get a less than satisfactory reply?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Yes, with a high stage.

I remember seeing Stray at the Poly but was in early 70's, also Pink Fairies, and some others. Great gigs, but Buzzcocks surpassed them.
    My uncle was a regular here around that time and he saw Stray & The Fairies. We went to see The Fairies at the Beaverwood in Chiselhurst a couple of years ago.
  • Options

Didn't you say hello to Esso on the stair well and get a less than satisfactory reply?
    LOL, no Esso was alright, the bloke who gave me a dig in front of the stage less so. If he hadn't 40 bald headed mates backing him up I would have had to have spoken sternly to him :-)
  • Options
    Not related to that article really, but I went to a Scottish university 1998-2002, and whenever the buzzcocks came on at the indie clubs I used to frequent, the place erupted. In a bouncy student on cheap vodka red bull kind of way. Some very, very happy memories, particularly of Ever Fallen In Love (With Someone You Shouldn't).
  • Options
    RIP