Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recently discovered Musician/band that went completely under your radar for too long.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

While Suede's last two albums have been great and (whisper it) my favourite of theirs post-Butler, I think the first two are stone-cold masterpieces, and Disc 1 of their B-sides compilation Sci-Fi Lullabies is just about as good as either of them. You really can't go wrong with anything up to and including Coming Up, or the last two. Head Music, A New Morning and Bloodsports are less good IMO, but still one hell of a career.

The first one is marginally my favourite - and it's also one of my favourite albums ever.

Nice to see something on which we fully agree for a change ... apart from Charlton of course.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Acab said:

Anybody know about ‘The Dead Daisys’ loud rocking Aussies

made some good stuff .. bit of a 'super group' with an ever changing line up .. lots of their stuff on YouTube
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    McBobbin said:

stonemuse said:

Suede (thanks to the most recent 2 albums.l)

@PragueAddick

Have all their albums, love the music. Try some of the solo stuff by Bernard Butler and Brett Anderson .. also their brief reunion as The Tears.
    Would you say their two recent albums are a change of direction from their earlier stuff? Or did I just somehow miss them in the Britrock 'blur"?

Earlier stuff is a bit more upbeat, but Brett Anderson's vocals are so distinctive it doesn't suggest a massive change of direction. Try the third album "Coming Up", probably my favourite. You'll maybe know Trash and Beautiful Ones, but the whole album is a great "rumination" on 90s culture. Most notably, me and some mates went to see them when in sixth form ... They bunked school, I got my parents to write an absence permission letter because I had a free period. To say I consider the Inbetweeners to be a documentary is an understatement.
    Beautiful ones is amazing, give it a listen.

The whole self titled album is great. A bit heroin (so young) or other party drugs (animal nitrate) but a proper first album.

Beautiful ones off the third album I can’t remember the name of right now also excellent.

They are touring the Uk next year but yet to release dates for a London gig. Elsewhere goes on sale Friday I think.
  • Options
    Chopin
  • Options
    War on drugs for me also, the last 2 albums have been my favourite records of the last few years.

Recently getting in to Iggy Pop through liking QOTSA.
  • Options
    Shed Seven
  • Options
    shed7
  • Options
    sorry Stewart didn't read yours. greatest mate. I can't believe how much they appeal to me, yet u remained largely unaware of most of their stuff until last year.
  • Options

Only just started listening to the Cocteau Twins, had multiple people recommend them to me over the last few years knowing my love of shoegaze and dream pop but never got round to listening to them until last month.

I've got a lot of catching up to do as I love them, Liz Fraser's voice is amazing! I've heard her voice before (Teardrop by Massive Attack) but hearing it over the course of an album is quite hypnotic.

Treasure and Blue Bell Knoll are both excellent.
  • Options

Only just started listening to the Cocteau Twins, had multiple people recommend them to me over the last few years knowing my love of shoegaze and dream pop but never got round to listening to them until last month.

I've got a lot of catching up to do as I love them, Liz Fraser's voice is amazing! I've heard her voice before (Teardrop by Massive Attack) but hearing it over the course of an album is quite hypnotic.

Treasure and Blue Bell Knoll are both excellent.
    Indeed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stewart said:

Shed Seven

Shed Seven have split up?

You are joking?
  • Options
    Zappa dead? Noooooo!
  • Options
    I watched a documentary about Kate Bush the other day. Before I just ignored what she did. I hadn't liked Wuthering Heights when it came out and just blocked her out.

Boy was I wrong.

Absolutely brilliant thoughtful music.

Looking forward to exploring her work.
  • Options
    Glenn Campbell
  • Options
    Discovered Tony Joe White after he died last year
  • Options

Discovered Tony Joe White after he died last year

Look out his later albums. A particular favourite of mine is The Heroines on which he duets with some great women singers.
  • Options
    Blackmore's Night.
  • Options
    Jon Gomm for likers of acoustic guitar.